LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Announcements & Help > Site Technical Help or Site Feedback

Unread 03-26-2003, 06:01 PM   #1
flawless
User

Post Luger identification and value

I'm new to the forum, thanks for having me. I have just acquired some hand guns from my Grandad. The first is a German Luger which I will attempt to describe as best as I can. Just behind the top of the barrel the numbers 1910 appear. On the top just infront of the knurled, round pull-back things are the intials DWM in fancy script like a monogram. On the right side just above the trigger and behind the barrel appears three logos or hallmarks. The first logo looks like an I with a crown over it. The second logo is an S with a crown over it. The third is a bird/animal with upstreathed arms/wings and three dots or a crown over its head. Just infront of the trigger and just below the back of the barrel are the numbers 4246 d. There is a lever on the left side when depressed down the words GESICHERT appear. On the bottom of the magazine the numbers 5094 appear. I was told the condition is 98 percent. No rust. The handle is wood-checkered and all the metal is blued. If anyone can help me out here I would certainly appreciate it. Thank you in advance. I'm new here so bear with me please. The Luger has a leather holster with a gold swastika on the button snap. The numbers 8,82 appears on the underside of the barrel.
flawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2003, 06:24 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

Afternoon, flawless, welcome to the forum. I'm much much more of a shooter guy than collector so I stay out of this arena, but this is pretty straight forward. You have a DWM (Deutsche Waffen and Munitions Fabrik) which means German Arms and Ammunitions factory) Luger made in 1910. This is an pre WWI Imperial era Luger being made before WWI. Categories loosely defined are Imperial (pre & WWI) Weimar (1920-1936 ?) and the WWII era. The lever on the left side is the safety, when the word "Gesichert" appears that means "safe". The serial number of the gun is 4246 D, the numbers being the serial, the "d " being the block sequence. This was so they could reuse serial numbers keeping them short. There should be "46" visible in several other places also. The 8.82 is the diameter of the bore (distance between the lands)and this is a common diameter. The number 5094 on the magazine is the number which matches the magazine to a specific gun, regretfully not yours. Sounds like you have an early Imperial gun, if possible post some photos. There are several extremely knowledgeable folks here who know these guns much better than I ever will. And welcome again.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2003, 07:17 PM   #3
flawless
User

Thank you so very much for taking the time to answer my post. You are wealth of information. I would add an image to my post but I don't know how?
Thanks Again,
flawless </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by flawless:
<strong>I'm new to the forum, thanks for having me. I have just acquired some hand guns from my Grandad. The first is a German Luger which I will attempt to describe as best as I can. Just behind the top of the barrel the numbers 1910 appear. On the top just infront of the knurled, round pull-back things are the intials DWM in fancy script like a monogram. On the right side just above the trigger and behind the barrel appears three logos or hallmarks. The first logo looks like an I with a crown over it. The second logo is an S with a crown over it. The third is a bird/animal with upstreathed arms/wings and three dots or a crown over its head. Just infront of the trigger and just below the back of the barrel are the numbers 4246 d. There is a lever on the left side when depressed down the words GESICHERT appear. On the bottom of the magazine the numbers 5094 appear. I was told the condition is 98 percent. No rust. The handle is wood-checkered and all the metal is blued. If anyone can help me out here I would certainly appreciate it. Thank you in advance. I'm new here so bear with me please. The Luger has a leather holster with a gold swastika on the button snap. The numbers 8,82 appears on the underside of the barrel.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">
Unread 03-27-2003, 10:30 AM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Flawless,

There is a message thread in THIS forum (Site Help & Feedback) that is a tutorial on posting photos... I would love to see photos of this gun.

Now that we have determined that the gun is military, please post future correspondence about this gun in the Military P-08 Forum instead of here...

Thanks,

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2003, 02:39 PM   #5
flawless
User

Excuse me, I am still a neophite. I'll get better I promise.
Thank You.
Unread 03-28-2003, 07:59 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
No apologies needed flawless, we were all new once!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote