LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 01-14-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
Ponyman
User

Default .224 Centerfire for the Luger???

Check out the .22 Reed Express. It's a necked-down 7.62x25, and might be compatible with P08 magazine dimensions - case and rim diameters are.002 inch smaller than the Luger. The case is a tad longer than a 7.65 Luger, but a smaller (round nosed) bullet might result in a usable over-all length. They're claiming 783 ft-lbs muzzle energy, so you would have to load it down - or find a heavier recoil spring - to use it in a properly chambered Luger. The groove above the rim is squared off, and might pose a problem for the Luger extractor. The barrel, in any case, will be strictly custom. Unless, of course, a large enough group of buyers were to approach Reed's Ammunition & Research with a quantity request..... Brass & dies are currently available.

http://www.reedsammo.com/

There's more info at Ammoguide.com - but you have to be a subscriber to see it.
Ponyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
SteveM
User

Check out what Hugh has been doing..

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...liber+30+luger
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

I didn't see any of the figures from the 5" barrel that were producing velocity and energy figures that would be out of reach for the .224 Goldstein. necked down .30 Luger case. The loads shown are in the 400 ft/lb range, which the .224 Goldstein does easily, and it would require far less modification of the basic Luger design...
Unread 01-14-2006, 10:53 PM   #4
Hugh
RIP

Default 22-30 Luger update

The update is--there is no update! I just read the above postings, and realized that it has been 2 YEARS since I got this gun. So I dug it out of the safe and ran a scan of it. Also found two boxes of cartridges on my desk that I loaded a year ago! I will try to take it out and shoot soon and come back here with a report.

If I remember correctly it turned out to be a "hand operated" action instead of semi-auto. The cartridge doesn't develop enough momentum to operate the toggle. If the recoil spring is strong enough to return the toggle to battery, the cartridge cannot fully open the action. If the spring is weak enough for the cartridge to open the action fully, it is not strong enough to load a round from the magazine and close the action.