LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 07-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #1
pisto
User

Default sight tool for 98k

hello gentlemen,
have just picked up an interesting sight tool for a Mauser 98 k rifle which has been on German auction :
Anybody seen that before?

http://www.hermann-historica.de/aukt...b=kat48_S.txtk
pisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 02:06 AM   #2
G.W. Gill
User

Hello Pisto, I have a 1936 Mauser k 98. The best feeling action of all the rifles I have ever handled. It was rebuilt by the Norwegians. Will shoot nickel size groups at 100 yds with a rest. It was rebarreled to 30-06. It shoots like a kids 22 with surplus and angers all the guys with $$$$ guns. I almost bought one of those tools. It was German. I wish I had. I had to tap with a punch to zero my rifle.
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 03:00 AM   #3
pisto
User

Very interesting, so you have the same accessorie.
My 98k are matching but in bad condition. The only nice Item I have is a military conversion kit for .22 caliber.
Unread 07-07-2005, 11:30 AM   #4
Roadkill
User

Here's another one: http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=510159

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2005, 12:41 AM   #5
G.W. Gill
User

Roadkill, They are great tools. They take the angst out of sighting in. I recommend using one rather than drifting with a punch. Thanks for pointing it out. Pisto, are there many k98's to be had in Germany?
Unread 07-08-2005, 08:46 AM   #6
pisto
User

G.W.Gill,
I dont know too much about rifles, but I would say mint condition would go for 1200 $ ore so. There are a lot around, reblued, not matching etc.
that rifle was in Police use still until the 50ies. , but like the handguns, very less are real collectable and in nice shape.
I would like to get one in mint condition some day.
Do you have real collectors for that rifles over there?
I still know somebody with a set of high $$ presentation board of the Mauser Plant, showing the steps of making the barrels belonging to the 98 Gewehr.
Unread 07-09-2005, 12:44 AM   #7
G.W. Gill
User

The Mauser Rifle has a good following over here. Some collect, others build rifles out of the actions. The Russian and Eastern Bloc are selling now at the major retailers of imported firearms. I became hooked at 16, when I bought a ww1 Mauser rifle at a local Dept. store ( K- Mart , 1972 ) for 20 Dollars. This included four boxes of ww2 ammo. The thrill of cleaning the cosmoline off and finding a fine condition rifle is a memory I will cherish. I traded the Mauser for a Zoli reproduction Remington Civil War rifle. Then I became devoted to muzzleloading. This is the way to learn about firearms. I had an import civil war austrian musket (.72 ) that would only scrape away a beer bottle label with birdshot ( I did not think about 00 buck, I was 15). That Zoli led me on the path to understanding ballistics, ect. I had been shooting competition .22 since 8 yrs old, however, ballistics had not clicked yet ( the math ). I am indebted to that cosmoline coated Mauser 98.

It all came together