LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 01-11-2015, 03:01 AM   #1
TheRomanhistorian
User

Default 1970s Interarms 6" barrel 9mm Luger

So, in addition to the layaway 1913 Luger I picked up they also had an artillery (all matching 1918 with some strawing and a repro stock and holster in there for $2500...may snap it up).

They also had a Wilhemhaven marked Navy Luger but I saw this pretty Intearms Luger for $1,000 and thought it'd be a fun shooter. I was told all three pistols came from a collector but this had no box nor spare magazine.

I find it amusing I'm writing about Lugers as I watch For Your Eyes Only and Bond is alternately threatened by a man with a Luger and then joins in on a raid with a man who uses a Luger.

This Luger is marked: 11.010237 and the Interarms information on the right side of the pistol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150110_232526.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	45125  

Name:	IMG_20150110_232541.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	45126  

Name:	IMG_20150110_232600.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	45127  

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to TheRomanhistorian for your post:
Unread 01-11-2015, 04:29 AM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

This one is configured same as one I have, though the finish on yours looks a little fresher! Some would say since it's basically a reproduction, you could shoot it. Others would stick it in the safe and only get it out for maintenance and its inevitable upgrade for one NIB with all papers and accessories. So, I guess it's up to you what to do with it. They seem to bring at least $1k when sold in this condition. It is nice that, 6" bbl. aside, it's outwardly configured very closely to the Swiss originals.
Unread 01-11-2015, 04:45 AM   #3
TheRomanhistorian
User

I think, since I don't dare shoot my new safe queen 1913 DWM this is going to be a shooter. I know many might disapprove but, well, she's too pretty not to take to the range! At least I did well on the price, too. I have to admit I like the Swiss configuration and maybe I'll need a Swiss Luger one day... One day...

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
Unread 01-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
alvin
User

It's a pretty gun. I had 4" instance some years ago, NIB came with box, paper, manual, tag, cleaning tools etc. $750 at that time.... But at that time, my 2-bedroom apartment monthly rental was $400. So $750 was quite amount of money. No internet, not knowing straw being a type of finish, and I did not like the "yellow color" on trigger and safety lever, so I sanded them silver bright. I fired thousands of rounds from it, it worked perfectly. After about 1000 rounds, the front sight dropped off though. Fortunately I noticed it, picked it up, and glued it back into place. That's my first Luger.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

The Interarms / Mauser made post war Lugers were very well made, and so expensive to produce that Mauser eventually realized that they couldn't make adequate profit on them. That's why things stopped.

These are excellent shooting pistols. Congratulations on your new acquisition!
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 01-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
TheRomanhistorian
User

I'm looking quite forward to to taking her to the range next weekend. It's a pity they couldn't make an adequate profit but I suppose we are too much of a niche market, alas. I can't imagine what they'd sell for now if produced today (Alvin's scaling of value makes me think...).

Unread 01-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Congrats on you new Mauser Parabellum. I own the 06/73 6in. bbl. version, not the Swiss model. I purchased mine unfired, but it did not remain that way long. I am a shooter, and not a collector, these days. I think that you did very well price wise on it, and they do make good shooters. Standard Mec-Gar Luger mags work just fine in them. Enjoy!!
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 01-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
TheRomanhistorian
User

I'm still learning about these so understanding the model numbers is something I've been working on. Is this a 29/70 or am I misremebering what I read?

Unread 01-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #9
JD
User

They're very nice guns and I saw this one when it came into the shop. I have two of the 06/73 models, one with a 6 inch barrel and one with a four. I much prefer the P-08 pattern frame to the Swiss frame. By the way, I find the 6 inch guns much nicer to shoot than the 4 inch guns. You'd think there wouldn't be much difference, but to my they feel completely different.

On the Interarms Mauser guns, the only real complaint that I have had was that the grips are rather thick and feel "blocky". On my two guns, I had Hugh here on the board thin and re-checker the grips so they feel like a luger should. Hugh is a true master craftsman and does a fantastic job. Something you might want to consider at some point.

Another weak point with the Interarms Mausers is the plastic magazine floor plate. They have been known to crack and break with use as the magazine spring is VERY strong. I had GT replace a couple of mine with his wonderful aluminum floorplates. They look really good and I don't have to worry about them ever breaking.

Both of mine are great shooters and I'm sure that you'll like your Swiss pattern too....

Enjoy!!!!!!!!
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to JD for your post:
Unread 01-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I had the same complaint with the grips that came on mine. It was, as I've described before, like holding a rough-cut 2" X 4". I saved those grips aside and ordered a pair from Vintage Gun Grips that were of the same coarse checkered pattern and blocky, squarish corners, but appreciably thicker than the originals on mine. I removed the checkering, gave them a more P.08 cross section, and re-checkered in finer pattern. Much more friendly to hold and shoot--the old ones embossed the checkering into the web of my hand after a few rounds--and I got the casting place to mix a color which mimics the color of the "red Swiss", made, IIRC, early after the Swiss re-design of the grip frame to create its easier-to-machine, distinctive look.

Just so you know, it has the .22 conversion kit installed in this pic--otherwise I'd predict questions about the weird toggle knobs, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	red right.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	45186  

Unread 01-13-2015, 01:33 AM   #11
TheRomanhistorian
User

Ooh, I like those grips.

Unread 01-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #12
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Michael, if you're patient, you'll eventually be able to pick up a pair for around forty bucks from the grips place, which, IIRC, is their range for colored cast urethane grips. On the pair pictured, I must confess to going just a tad overboard on the cross-sectional profile reduction, and they came out a little skimpy for the frame. Sooner or later, I will re-run the process to generate a pair that fits as they should. Once they have the mold, it's just a question of ordering the grips that the mold produces.
Unread 01-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #13
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I've been offered these in the past. Sometimes at really good prices, but I can't for the life of me get past that flat profile of the front grip strap.

I just looks like an unfinished Luger to me.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #14
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thumbs up

I also sent my Mauser Parabellum grips to Hugh for his "magic". They feel much better now. I had GT build me up a Mauser magazine with his "special" mag springs, and a numbered wood base that matches my grips. I am very pleased with how it turned out. Hugh can/will also do the Swiss type grip where there is no checkering(smooth) all around the border of the grip. I think that they look quite nice on the Swiss model.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 01-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #15
JD
User

Here's the link to the post that shows the wonderful grip work that Hugh did for my two Interarms Mauser p-08's.

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=13164
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to JD for your post:
Unread 03-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #16
BravoPapa
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
I had the same complaint with the grips that came on mine. It was, as I've described before, like holding a rough-cut 2" X 4". I saved those grips aside and ordered a pair from Vintage Gun Grips that were of the same coarse checkered pattern and blocky, squarish corners, but appreciably thicker than the originals on mine. I removed the checkering, gave them a more P.08 cross section, and re-checkered in finer pattern. Much more friendly to hold and shoot--the old ones embossed the checkering into the web of my hand after a few rounds--and I got the casting place to mix a color which mimics the color of the "red Swiss", made, IIRC, early after the Swiss re-design of the grip frame to create its easier-to-machine, distinctive look.
My NIB 1971 29/70 has the same issue. Have to use a glove to save the skin on my thumb. How can I get a set of these grips? Is this what Vintage is now offering?

Thanks
Unread 03-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #17
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRomanhistorian View Post
I think, since I don't dare shoot my new safe queen 1913 DWM this is going to be a shooter. I know many might disapprove but, well, she's too pretty not to take to the range! At least I did well on the price, too. I have to admit I like the Swiss configuration and maybe I'll need a Swiss Luger one day... One day...
Your pistol, shoot it if you want to; really doesn't matter what someone else thinks. JMHO.

$1000 isn't bad, but you could have had a decent original, but mismatched, shooter for the same cost. Parts will be tougher to find for the "new" mauser should you ever need any. Some original type parts may fit, but all will not.

Give us a range report when you have your first outing !
Unread 03-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #18
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoPapa View Post
My NIB 1971 29/70 has the same issue. Have to use a glove to save the skin on my thumb. How can I get a set of these grips? Is this what Vintage is now offering?

Thanks
The Vintage grips are what I described. Re-working either the originals or some cast copies is one option. I remembered this listing, though, which seems OK. Seems to be the last pair http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luger-Swiss-...gAAOSw4UtWRSI6
Unread 03-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #19
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I do have most Interarms Parabellum parts in stock, but currently sold out of both original grips and the Vintage M29 black plastic ones. TH
Unread 03-26-2016, 12:25 AM   #20
TheRomanhistorian
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
Your pistol, shoot it if you want to; really doesn't matter what someone else thinks. JMHO.

$1000 isn't bad, but you could have had a decent original, but mismatched, shooter for the same cost. Parts will be tougher to find for the "new" mauser should you ever need any. Some original type parts may fit, but all will not.

Give us a range report when you have your first outing !
Hi Don,

I posted a few of my shooters in your thread but I think I've got about seven or eight shooters. So it was time to start branching out!

I did fire the Interarms Luger and it's quite fun. I only put 100 rounds through it last year and haven't taken it to the range since (I've been working my way through my other Lugers and Webleys and Broomhandles). My friends like it, though, and now they are talking about getting themselves a Luger.

Michael