LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 11-01-2003, 11:03 PM   #1
riffraff
User

Post "product liability" trigger

I have the Stoeger stainless Luger. From what I remember about my old, real Luger, even though it was the conglomeration of parts that it was, the trigger pull of my stainless definately seems to be of the new age manufacture "product liability" way to stiff/heavy for fun shooting type. Keeping in mind the Orimar product, what part/parts do I need to change, or can change due to the stainless construction/finish to get a decent(don't have to be King Kong) trigger? Can it be as simple as just replacing the spring behind the trigger? Comments/suggestions everyone? Mike
Unread 11-03-2003, 01:14 PM   #2
unspellable
User

First problem is to determine what makes it so stiff. Not a ssimple as with some other firearms as the Luger trigger linkage is complicated.

First, take the upper or cannon off the frame and see if the trigger moves freely in the frame. This will also give you a good indication of how stiff the trigger spring is. Second, put the side plate on and make sure the trigger lever moves freely through the correct range. (Bit difficult to desribe without pictures.) Put a snap cap in the cannon and trip the sear by depressing the front of the sear bar. Push in o nthe disconnector plunger with your thumbnail to do this.

There's much more to the story but this will be the first three things to try in order to determine what direction to look in.

I have seen more than one Luger in which the trigger moved all the way to the rear and hit the stop with out tripping the sear. Further pressure would then trip the sear. The most likely cause being a misfitted trigger lever, the second most likely cause being a misfitted trigger. If the thumbnail on the disconnector trick proves stiff, the sear bar or striker may be misfitted.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2003, 06:06 PM   #3
riffraff
User

Thank You Unspell. I will follow your instructions when I have time (you know how hectic life can be) and then post my findings. I may have overstated the stiffness of my trigger. I do not think there is anything defective, but then again there might be. Thanks! Mike
Unread 11-03-2003, 08:33 PM   #4
Stu
User

My 93 Stoeger has a trigger pull similar to my other Lugers. Very sound advice from unspellable, you may find that a little adjustment improves matters ?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2003, 11:42 PM   #5

Even if everything else is OK the trigger will be stiff because the sear and firing pin interface has an angle that requires pulling back the firing pin to release the engagement. Look at this area carefully.