LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 07-26-2002, 02:11 AM   #1
Big Norm
RIP

Post Borchardt Takedown

As many of you, who I could get to listen to me know, I recently purchased a DWM Borchardt. I have been suitably warned not to try to take the gun apart for cleaning. As a matter of fact, I am too terrified to try it. But as a red blooded, flag waving, American gun collector, I want to do it. What I want to know is there a book out there I can study that will help me avoid making any terrific mistake? I wouldn't try it without studying the gun first (maybe not even then). I have been told that Datig had a description on how to do it in his book. I have been told to make sure that the gun is uncocked. I have also been told that if I screw with the spring that I am doomed. I'll never get it back together and there is no living creature who could help me. But that is about it. Outside of having every planet in the entire universe drop on my head and my living in shame in eternal fire for the rest of my being, what else could happen?
Big Norm [img]eek.gif[/img]
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2002, 09:46 AM   #2
Hugh
RIP

Red face

Norm,

What else could happen?, you ask. Has not anyone warned you of the terrible curse that will fall on your entire family for 10 generations? Or that those unholy fingers that you dared use to descrate that noble & exalted firearm will shrivel up and drop from your hands? [img]eek.gif[/img]
Unread 07-26-2002, 09:57 AM   #3
Thor
User

Talking

Hugh.....looks like you got pretty tanked on your coffee this morning (or is that LSB?"the dillo knows") [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2002, 11:43 AM   #4
Roadkill
User

You sound like my kid when he was 17 and wanted to rebuild the motor in his truck. I suggested no, he did it anyway, the result was not satisfactory. How many ways are there to get a good vehicle to the junkyard? He found one.

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2002, 12:03 PM   #5
sschultz
User

Ok, I'll be that guy who stands in the background yelling, "do it, do it, do it..." I know I would if I had one, but perhaps that is simply because I have 1 of the best gunsmiths in CA in my backyard(just in case).

Datig does have the instructions. Sorry, but no illustrations of the takedown. If you need this, let me know.

Still, that curse thing is pretty scarey...
sschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2002, 07:07 PM   #6
Big Norm
RIP

Wink

Hugh,
Oh! I forgot about the curse. But I think my family will understand. Better them than me anyway.

Sshultz,
thanks, but there is a Datig book on ebay that I am going to give a shoot at, if it doesn't get two expensive. I am worried thogh. I am pretty gode on pictures but not too hot on reeding. Comes from a habit I akuired while reading edjucational comic bouks. I am pretty gode at reeding Germon too, its gust that I donut understand a werd of it.
Big Norm
Unread 07-26-2002, 08:45 PM   #7
wterrell
User

Thumbs up

B�¯g N�¶rm,

If you are in a hurry to get the B�¶rch�¤rdt apart and slapped back together, you should probably forget about it.

However, if:
  • 1. you are the owner of a digital video cam/corder and digital camera;
    2. there is a hardware retail outlet nearby;
    3. you are mechanically inquisitive;
    and
    4. you sip Jack Daniels or Canadian Club,
then, proceed!

[quote]Comes from a habit I akuired while reading edjucational comic bouks. <hr></blockquote>

I am concerned about your spelling of the word "habit"!
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2002, 10:16 PM   #8
Heinz
User

I have personally seen Big Norm begin dissasembling a Borchardt in the middle of his motor home with his faithful gunsmith companion, Bucky, chasing parts around the floor. Bucky is German and knows the Borchardt's secrets but he won't tell Norm.

The Borchardt is beautiful.

Heinz
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2002, 10:42 PM   #9
Herb
User

Admin, please delete this item, Herb
Unread 07-27-2002, 01:54 PM   #10
Joe
User

Exclamation

Last weekend at the OGCA show, my Dad and I saw Big Norm's Borchardt. He really hit the jackpot!

Norm,

Good luck with the Borchardt takedown. I bet you'll also find a good used copy of Fred Datig's book on AMAZON.COM.

Oh, and here's a link to pictures of my 1902 Eagle "Fat Barrel," so you can see how it differs from the '06.

http://www.iwaynet.net/~jwsiv/Lugers/02Eagle.htm
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2002, 04:30 PM   #11
Big Norm
RIP

OK Joe, I'll pay you the money that I owe you. I tried GOOGLE.COM but it seemed like everything was just about the history of the Borchardt. Not much to indicate anything about the takedown. I'll try the AMAZON.COM in a while. There is a Datig book (5th ed) on EBAY now and I plan to take a few shots at that. Anybody know what that book normally would go for?
Big Norm
Unread 07-27-2002, 05:16 PM   #12
Big Norm
RIP

Heinz,
how would you know if my dachshund Bucky was chasing Borchardt parts? In case you didn't know it, that wasn't a large cup of cinnamon tea that I gave you. It was straight Johnny Walker Black.

Herb,
neat pictures. I was trying to focus on two things.
(1) the connection between the rear spring and the toggle. Everybody has warned me about that spring and the need to make sure that the gun is uncocked. I will be staring at that area for the rest of the night.
(2) Ron wood mentioned in an earlier post that someone had taken the side plate and the trigger off of a Borchardt at Shattucks house and couldn't put it back together again. Ron had to do it himself. But your pictures don't seem to show a difficulty there. I will examine your pictures closer when I finish this post.
From your pictures, the gun does not look as intimidating as it does in real life. Maybe a lottle more studying (cross between a lot and a little) and I will have the courage to try it.

Wes,
I do have some Johnny Walker Black. I think that will work. Heinz didn't drink it all up. But no pictures will be taken. I would not want to risk them being circulated and then find them in Stills next book representing the polar intellectual opposite to the brilliant Georg Luger.
Big Norm