LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 05-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Warhogg
User

Default Dressed Up Vopo

I got some grips for my new Luger the other day. It's a 42 date byf with some parts forced-matched. I'm not very fond of the black plastic grips it came with, so I picked up a set of repro Black Widow grips, & yesterday at the local gun show I also came across a set of mis-matched wood grips. So playing around today, I swapped out the grips to let this Luger look its Sunday best:

Before

After Plastic Repro Grips

Wood Grips

Just thought I'd share! I'm not even sure it's a VoPo, but the grips look like it. It came with a MecGar mag but I put in an aluminum based mag.

Is there any markings to look for that the East Germans put on when refurbishing Lugers? Also, the barrel has no markings at all. The finish wear is consistent with the rest of the gun...could it have been replaced by the East Germans this way or is it probably a modern barrel? It has no import marks, so I'm thinking the import marks went the way of the original barrel if it was replaced here in the states...
Unread 05-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
LugerVern
User

Really makes it look good!!

Are you going to straw the small parts or leave them blue?

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Warhogg
User

Thanks!

I have like zero ability to gunsmith. I'll be leaving the finish "as is", unless strawing is an easy process. Then I wouldn't mind getting into a little labor-of-love project!
Unread 05-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Brad

Default Re: Dressed Up Vopo

Quote:
Originally posted by Warhogg
Is there any markings to look for that the East Germans put on when refurbishing Lugers? Also, the barrel has no markings at all. The finish wear is consistent with the rest of the gun...could it have been replaced by the East Germans this way or is it probably a modern barrel? It has no import marks, so I'm thinking the import marks went the way of the original barrel if it was replaced here in the states...
While I am not an expert, the barrel usually has some mark if it has been replaced. Barrel marks include: rough muzzle crown and a crown/N proof or they are marked with a C/N and sometime the date of change, usually a 3-4 digit indicating month and year, i.e. 654 for June of 1954.

The grips are not typical of the VOPO, they usually have a checkerd pattern with a circle as shown here...

The grips you show look more like Russian replacements. Are there any elongated "X" markings that look like crossed rifles on it anywhere?
Unread 05-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
Warhogg
User

No, no Russian "X" marks anywhere. I'm familiar with them, from collecting Mosins, Nagants, RC K98's, etc. but non on this pistol.

Thanks for claritying the origins of the grips. I remember back a little bit when VoPo's Lugers were being imported, and when RC Lugers were too. It's been a while & my memory faded as to which was which.

Thanks for the heads up. Nice VoPo you got there!
Unread 05-27-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I don't think it has ever been established on where the origin is for the vertically "checkered" grips, but it is believed to be eastern bloc post war... It could even be a sub standard issue for VOPO...

Perhaps someone else can come up with a reference for these grips with a little more authority and my aging memory...

I do have a set of these grips, but don't use them... they are not as comfortable in my hand as the VOPO Bullseye or Black widow reproductions.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
unspellable
User

The finish doesn't look "VoPo" to me. I'm used to seeing VoPos refinished with a very dull black finish that almost looks like a "black" parkarized finish. The refinish job seems universal, I've seen it done to pistols that were very obviously almost pristine before being refiished. I've one like that in my collection.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote