LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 11-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
stcappelli
User

Default Can someone help me value this Luger? (possibly my first)

Hello everyone! I was sent this direction by the nice guys over at K98Kforum.com in regards to this post:

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....035#post100035

Basically, while looking for a K98 for my friend at a local gun show, I stumbled upon a 1941 Mauser (byf) P08. According to the owner, it is a vet bring-back, purchased from the widow of the GI who brought it home. It's in rough shape with a good deal of pitting on the pistol. The owner said the pitting was actually "blood-pitting", and ended up in the shape it was in from being stored without much cleaning after being reclaimed from a dead German soldat. I never heard of this before (blood pitting), so I can't speak for it's validity, or whether it adds or detracts value, but it's a cool story regardless. The owner also has the USGI leather pistol holster it was kept in, as well as a post-war magazine. It lacks the bring-back documentation. Otherwise, the bore looks good and all of the outside numbers match, with the waffenamts all remaining intact and no import marks to be found. The owner said that the interals matched too, but I haven't been able to check this out for myself (yet).

He's asking $675 obo for the pistol, and having no experience with P08's, I'm unsure if this is a good deal. I really wasn't in the market for a Luger anytime soon, because I've always know them to be $1,000+ safe queens, so the $675 price caught my eye as a potential shooter. I'd like a decent piece of history that might be worth something later, but I can also bring to the range every once in awhile in the meantime on special occasions. However, the current owner hasn't fired it before, so I'm unsure of it's mechanical condition as a shooter (although the toggle action seemed solid).

So, what do you guys think? Is this a decent price for the pistol? Should I pass and hold out for a better example? Also, I've heard through my research of someone known as Thor doing amazing things to P08s in rough shape, could this be a potential refinish canidate later on?

Regardless, any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

My best to you,
- Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	44014  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010010.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	190.3 KB