LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #1
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Background checks

My sister got me a shotgun for Christmas and I went to the store to pick it up and of course did the usual paper work but this store had me do it on a touchscreen. After waiting for about an hour my background check was put on hold. The clerk asked if that ever happened before and I said no, I bought about 6 guns this year and all went through but I did usually have to wait about a half hour each time. So now I wonder what kind of hassle am I in for? The clerk said sometimes it can take up to 30 days to clear up. I just hope I don’t get stuck in some bureaucratic flypaper. Oh well I will keep my fingers crossed 🤞
Jim
jeb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to jeb111 for your post:
Unread 12-18-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
hayhugh
User

The Fl. State background checks seem to be taking longer lately. The time before last I heard the two clerks talking about adding a star to the form. I ask what that was for and he stated because I had received two guns within the week...........
hayhugh is online now   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to hayhugh for your post:
Unread 12-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #3
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

You are still lucky. It can take up to 6 months to get a gun home here, and a couple of years to get a permit.

Latest addition is an automated "psychology test" that you need to pay for yourself. The fact that this test violates local and EU constitutional laws doesn't seem to matter.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 12-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

There is no "clearing it up" You are either accepted or denied. If it is delayed, after I think 5 business days, not denied, then the gun is released to you anyway .

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 12-18-2021, 03:11 PM   #5
gunnertwo
User

Don't be too concerned, this time of year lots of folks are buying guns as gifts or presents to themselves.

Merry Christmas!

G2
gunnertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to gunnertwo for your post:
Unread 12-18-2021, 05:42 PM   #6
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

'Don't be too concerned' ?? really ??

I'm sorry but be very concerned as govt, corporations and big brother erodes your rights as beings born of this earth.

I live in Canada where as a child of 10 I happily hiked around the prairies and hunted the extremely deadly garter snakes and the monstrous swamp frog. Just me and my buddies packed with baked beans and hot dogs for our camp fire and carrying our trusty 22 rifles. Of course we also had Bowie knives, slingshots and bow and arrows in case we ran out of ammo.

Try that now and see what happens.

I feel so sorry for the kids of today who will never experience true freedom and blindly live in the NWO world of today.

The long wait is just another sign of your fundamental rights being eroded by those who want to rule over your every move. What right do they have to do that I wonder ??

I just bought another LP-08 on Dec. 10th, registered on the 15th with the RCMP and awaiting shipment ... should be here by the 21st. It normally would have been here within a week.

And even still our Canadian gun laws are being eroded even more and I pray to God we never suffer what my fellow members are suffering ... it's just not right.

Rant over ... sorry but I have strong feelings regarding our human rights ya ??
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 12-18-2021, 05:54 PM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

When I first moved here (4 yrs ago) I bought a Henry 357 mag as a present to myself and my wife said, hey, just get it I filled out the touchscreen and for some reason didn't put in my social security. Took a week to go through, the last time I used the touchscreen there was no problem (7 or 8 yrs ago).
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 12-18-2021, 07:20 PM   #8
gunnertwo
User

My comment was to the present situation here in the States regarding our NCIS background system. The situation in Canada is much more perilous. My buddy in Calgary has an extensive firearms collection. If Canada continues on the path as Trudeau wants, his collection must be turned into the scrap mill. He will receive a pittance of value and many historical arms will be destroyed. UK and Europe are doing the same. To retain, collections must be "de-activated", meaning destroyed. Governments are on the path to not trust its citizens with firearms of any kind.

G2
The following 5 members says Thank You to gunnertwo for your post:
Unread 12-18-2021, 08:22 PM   #9
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnertwo View Post
My comment was to the present situation here in the States regarding our NCIS background system. The situation in Canada is much more perilous. My buddy in Calgary has an extensive firearms collection. If Canada continues on the path as Trudeau wants, his collection must be turned into the scrap mill. He will receive a pittance of value and many historical arms will be destroyed. UK and Europe are doing the same. To retain, collections must be "de-activated", meaning destroyed. Governments are on the path to not trust its citizens with firearms of any kind.

G2
Basically in Canada Handguns with barrels equal to or less than 105 mm in length are now a 'prohibited' weapon.
This does not include handguns for use in international sporting competitions governed by the rules of the International Shooting Union and where the handgun is prescribed to be restricted.
Grandfathered status allows the possession and acquisition of prohibited firearms that are already registered in Canada, but not the new importation of prohibited firearms into Canada.
A Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) allows you to acquire prohibited firearms only in the same categories as the ones currently registered to you, and only if the firearms you wish to acquire were registered in Canada prior to the specific dates set out in the Firearms Act.

As a general rule, a PAL will indicate what categories of prohibited firearms the license holder is licensed to acquire by showing the section of the Firearms Act that grandfathers them, as follows:

s.12(2): full automatics
s.12(3): converted automatics
s.12(4): firearms prohibited by former prohibition order No. 12
s.12(5): firearms prohibited by former prohibition order No. 13
s.12(6.1): handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm or less or that discharge .25 or .32 calibre ammunition.
s.12(7): inherited handguns made prior to 1946 that fall under the s. 12(6.1) category

Eligibility to acquire a particular prohibited firearm will be confirmed during the transfer process.

In other words it is possible to still own 4" Luger's IF you took all the right steps years ago. Fat chance of that and by a twist of fate I was allowed that loophole years ago but I was away working in the Arctic protecting the world from Soviet nuclear attack on the DEWLINE. I never anticipated how badly this mistake would cost me until years later.

It is complicated .... in one way we have no where near the restrictions faced in other countries but in some instances they are as horrific or more so.

At any rate collecting Luger's under 105 mm means you must change the barrel to 105+ mm. So stupid just like our bizarre Prime minister.

It's all here if you are interested: https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firear...irearms#prohib
The following 3 members says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 12-19-2021, 12:09 AM   #10
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

At any rate collecting Luger's under 105 mm means you must change the barrel to 105+ mm. So stupid just like our bizarre Prime minister. Can't you just stick a red plastic cap on the end like a toy? That would make it 105+

If they aver go rogue/unconstitutional in the USA and come to my house wanting my guns. I am going to have to give em all the ammo they can carry first.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 12-19-2021, 01:37 AM   #11
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Great minds think alike.
The following member says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 12-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #12
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Not particularly concerned yet but this has never happened to me before. I called the store and asked the clerk if it came through yet, no dice, when asked what could be the hold up just got some BS about only 4 people in Denver running the checks for everything west of the Mississippi. Doubtful. Anyway, did not put down my SS# I never have in the past and am reluctant to especially when dealing with a chain store. I have no doubt it will be approved, no reason not to but who knows anymore. I just have to be patient I guess.
Jim
Unread 12-19-2021, 03:25 PM   #13
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

There is not much worse than waiting for the second your gun finally is in your hot little hands ya ??
That being said its 6 days to Christmas before all the madness of this Christmas week will be behind us.
I am 1000% positive that there is nothing wrong and that your gun will arrive into it's rightful owners hands, YOU ... great Christmas present bro, your going to love it.

If it makes you feel any better Jeb, I am like a cat on a hot tin roof waiting for Santa to drop my LP-08 off too.
The following member says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 12-19-2021, 07:15 PM   #14
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

A little background check for US members:

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/..._year.pdf/view

2020 and 2021 numbers are astonishing.

The system can put a "hold" on you if your name can't be uniquely cleared (and someone with the same name or a very similar sounding name comes up "prohibited" somewhere in the USA). In the past 3 years, a huge number of additional records have been added to our NICS background check system. 95% of actual denials are false positives. The system is quite error prone.

Here's a recent operations report:

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...eport.pdf/view

Page 20 and 21 should help you understand the process better.

Note that in 2017, a total of 12 people were actually prosecuted for being prohibited people trying to purchase firearms illegally.
The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 12-20-2021, 07:54 PM   #15
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Got a call today my background check passed now I only have to drive a 4 hr round trip and pick it up. I'm not complaining I do have a good sister, just would have been easier if she shopped local.
Merry Christmas All!!
Jim
The following 2 members says Thank You to jeb111 for your post:
Unread 12-20-2021, 08:48 PM   #16
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Merry Christmas Jeb
Unread 12-20-2021, 09:17 PM   #17
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

Since the beginning of 2021, I've processed 91 background checks on my FFL, and many thousands more over the past 25 years or so, since the background check system began. ( I worked in a full time shop for 20 years). The majority are immediately approved. A few of my customers are regularly "delayed". I find the delays are usually longer for transfers initiated on Friday or Saturday, as the NICS system cannot access many databases or agencies over the weekend to clear up background questions they may have. Most, but not all of the time, delayed background checks initiated on Monday through Thursday are approved the next day. "Delays" can occur for folks who have security clearances, law enforcement officials, or, if someone was arrested and never convicted, as your background still shows an arrest record. When folks ask me "why am I being delayed?" I usually ask them the question,"Have you ever been in handcuffs?". Then the little light bulb comes on over their head. That being said, I personally find the system to be pretty darn efficient. I can typically sit down and enter the required info and get a reply within 5 minutes or so. The personal info you enter on the form is critical to a successful check. COMPLETE name, correct DOB, and though your SSN is "optional", I find generally those requests that are supplied with a SSN tend to process with fewer delays. Make sure your ID has the same residence address as you enter on the form. I think the reason people want more laws, is because folks won't follow the ones we have. I would like fewer laws myself, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
gunbugs is online now   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 12-20-2021, 09:43 PM   #18
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thank you gunbugs ... I really enjoyed your concise and honest appraisal of the background check system.

"Delays" can occur for folks who have security clearances." This may surprise people but I can tell that it is absolutely true. When you receive a High Level Security clearance you are immediately placed under a microscope 24/7 and a simple firearm application triggers scrutiny and subsequent reports.
Unread 12-21-2021, 09:31 AM   #19
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Yeah thanks Doug for the information, maybe I will use my SS# from now on but that is interesting about submitting a check on Friday or Saturday, never thought of that. Oh by the way, never been in handcuffs myself, no restraining orders or altercations with anyone never seen the inside of a courthouse, lead a pretty low key lifestyle. Just maybe a bit paranoid about getting accidentally caught in the government’s crosshairs.
Jim
Unread 12-21-2021, 02:15 PM   #20
gunnertwo
User

I have always given my SSN. My last name is somewhat unusual. I can only imagine the horrors with a last name like Smith or Jones.

Here in Idaho if one has a concealed weapons license the store bypasses the NICS check. The license info is recorded and the buyer leaves with the gun. No background check is done. The CWL is the background check.

G2