LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 08-11-2002, 08:16 PM   #1
Roadkill
User

Post I'm hooked

Just got in from the backwoods, shot 80 rounds of 124 gr FMJ loaded with 4.3gr of Unique. Really was an improvement in the 1918 Erfurt but seemed a little weak for the P-1. This was my first loading experience, I can guarantee there have never been 80 rounds of 9mm so carefully loaded. Next time will go a little easier. No misfires, two misfeeds in the Luger,no other malfunctions.
I used a case length of .741, next time I'll use a shorter case with the same load & bullet and see if it stops the jamming.

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2002, 12:29 AM   #2

Roadkill,

Congratulations on mastering reloading. What were your misfeeds like? Did the cartridge get into the gun? Could be crimping boo-boos if the action almost worked, but cartridge didn't seat completely. Is the Walmart ammo more or less reliable?

My '36 shooter Luger works pretty much flawlessly for the first 50 rounds after cleaning with Walmart stuff. Then it will become a little sticky as powder residue builds up. The second 50 rounds may malfunction about twice and the next 50 maybe 4 or 5 times. In my gun the spent shell is extracted and turns completely around but is caught by the bolt as it closes (it isn't thrown clear of the gun). Cleaning out the residue and oiling the gun fixes it for awhile and then the failures begin again.

For 100 % reliability I pretty much have to keep it immaculately clean and oiled. If I were reloading 9 mm (they're too cheap to bother with) I would add another tenth of a grain (or maybe two tenths) to the powder charge.
Unread 08-12-2002, 12:48 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts
Talking

I used to reload for 9MM, but have gotten away from it, mainly because 9 mm is pretty cheap, compared to 45 ACP or 45 LC.

It is fun to play with the rounds and figure out what works. I tried some really light 85 bullets once, but they were so short they fed horribly. But it was fun to play.

Good to see you post RK, you dropped off for a little bit?

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2002, 01:24 AM   #4
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Talking

Ed, RK was probably busy loading and didn't have time for the Forum . . .

RK, sometimes it isn't the case length that counts in jam control, it could be the over-all length. Might be worth a check. It is fun though, isn't it?

[img]wink.gif[/img]
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2002, 01:45 AM   #5
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

RK; 4.3 gr of Unique is an awful light load?
Lonnie
Unread 08-12-2002, 10:14 AM   #6
Thor
User

RK, make sure you have good strong mag springs in the Luger and also make sure the load will lock back the toggle EVERYTIME, if not, you load is too light. The load does appear to be a little light to me too. BUT, if it competely works the action it is not. There are so many different strength recoil springs in these guns, that each one must be approached as an individual. If you take a Luger with a very weak main spring and put a strong load in it, it will get hammered pretty hard on the toggle/frame ramps and peening of the metal can happen. If you take a Luger with a standard strength main spring and fire a light load it may not even eject or it might eject but not function the hold open every time. A good balance is needed to make them happy. Most feed jams are caused by weak mag springs (the round doesnt have time to get into position before the breech block comes forward) or overal length is not right, or the mag lips are bent or have been "adjusted". Good luck.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2002, 01:01 PM   #7
Roadkill
User

School started on the 8th, I've got 171 cadets to get in the system, uniforms, shoes, drill team, color guard, administrative, ect. Been real busy. Nothing new, just that time of the year.
The load was light, but I don't have the Superman syndrome anymore. Getting beat up is no deal. Next time around I'll load up a little heavier but this was my first rodeo. Lots of fun though. The Walmart ammo is as good if not better.

RK
Unread 08-12-2002, 01:57 PM   #8
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts
RK, before you shorten the cases, remember that the headspace is set by case length. .741" is almost perfect and I'd leave them at that if I were you. If you shorten them, the case will be held in position only by the extractor and that's not good.

I also suggest increasing your powder charge to 5.0 grains of Unique. If 4.3 grains was marginal, 5.0 grains should function properly without the feel of being too much of a load. Your over all length with the bullet seated should be in the 1.40 - 1.50" range but not more than the 1.150". I use 6.0 grains of Unique with either a 115 or 125 grain bullet and it's a good load. However, I also use WW-571 because it meters well and burns clean.

The Luger is a fun gun to shoot and I know you're going to love yours when you have it functioning correctly.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2002, 04:18 PM   #9
Roadkill
User

Thanks. Good info. This is stuff I need to know.
I'll go up a little on powder but keep cases and overall length the same.

RK