LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 12-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
Aaron
Banned

Default Is this Artillery worth the price?

Local dealer has a 1917 DWM Luger, fine tune rear sight, appears to be in 99% condition, all matching, INCLUDING magazine. Asking price is $3250, and a California buyer would have to pay sales tax and registration fees which would add about $285 to the price. That's more than I would be willing to spend, even if the dealer is willing to reduce the price somewhat. If any of you forum members are interested, contact me for the dealer's phone number. neveragain18@sbcglobal.net
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2006, 02:41 AM   #2
Big Norm
RIP

Arron,
for a 1917, I would say that its not worth it. For a 1917 that is 99%, I would laugh at the price because my first thought would be that its been reblued. There's not a lot of WW1, war time, military Lugers that are near perfect.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
spartacus38
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default 1917 Artillery

The asking price of $3250 is reasonable if is not reblued and original.

Bob Young
spartacus38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

Bob,
if 99% perfect doesn't send up warning signals to really examine this gun closely, then nothing will. Is it possible... you betcha. Is it likely... not. The price of $3250 for a 1917 artillery Luger is high. When you add in the $285 registration fees, it becomes $3535, which is a bit rediculous. Dealers put these prices on Lugers in hopes of luring in the unsuspecting. After all, they are in business to make money. Nothing wrong with that. There is one born every day. I have seen people buy Lugers at outrageous prices at gun shows and I have bought the same gun, in simular condition, at the same gun show for a drastically lower price. I have a military 1908 navy Luger with a story on that in my posession. I had to talk a lot to get that Luger, but I got it.

But if you know what you are doing and really have gone over the weapon, then go for it. Some people have lotsa discretionary cash and can afford to make mistakes. But, no offense ment to Aaron and I could be wrong, he didn't strike me as a person who had the background to tell if a gun has been expertly restored and a counterfeit mag installed. Nor did he mention if he had someone around to give him a visual second opinion. There are some real good, but unethical, restorers out there who are more than willing to take your after tax money and they have fooled some of the best of collectors. I know that I've been taken by people who I trusted and thought were good friends. BUYER BEWARE.

With that said, I was at at the Ohio Valley Military gun show in Kentucky a while back. Doug Smith had some Kreighoffs on his table that were absolutely beautiful. But they seemed to be awfully glossy and in very, very good condition. (The prices matched the condition.) I commented to Doug about the glossiness of the guns (he had quite a few on his table) and he told me that that is the way the original bluing and straw was on HK's. But who am I to challenge Doug? I am not so proud as to think that I know more than him. I would not touch those guns without John Dunkle and a few others helping me. But there are people who have the money to spend and DO know what they are doing in regards to Lugers. More power to them.
Big Norm
Unread 01-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Navy
RIP

Krieghoffs have a glossy BLACK, not blue finish.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 01:04 AM   #6
Aaron
Banned

One important point I forgot to mention is that this Luger in on consignment. This dealer takes a really hefty commission of about 25%, so the consigner is actually selling his Luger for a very reasonable price of less than $2500. I think that the dealer has made this purchase untenable. As for the finish on the Luger, I am fully satisfied that it is original, but of course, I am not immune to error.
Unread 01-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
thegundude
User

25% is pretty high on a gun that expensive...

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
Aaron
Banned

We're talking Southern Kalif. dealers here.
Unread 01-10-2007, 12:38 AM   #9
Big Norm
RIP

TomA,
the HK's could very well have been a glossy BLACK as you said. I was so stunned by these Lugers that I was afraid to touch and never considered comparing them to a WW1 rust blued beauty or an excellent WW2 vintage beauty. Plus, I had the disadvantage of looking at them in gunshow lighting. But, it was nice seeing them. Sometimes Doug really wips out something great. Its always fun to drop by his tables.
Big Norm
Unread 01-10-2007, 01:12 AM   #10
Big Norm
RIP

Arron,
don't be ashamed to admit that you can make a mistake. A high percentage of people on this forum have at one time or another. I have made mistakes both buying and not buying certain lugers. I've grown and I still am. Thats why I drop in on this site and talk a lot to people at gun shows. Its a continous growth thing. Its also a lot easier looking at guns on this site with my feet up on the desk and an adult beverage in my hands then when I am at a gun show after a tiring, long drive with gun show lighting.
Big Norm