LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-25-2009, 06:26 AM   #1
marine kabar
User

Default S/42 "g" date

Y'all were a big help when I first found this pistol in 2006 but unfortunately I didn't record what I was told here and have now forgotten it. So would somebody please give me some data re what I have. It's an S/42 marked "G" date which I know means 1935 production. Proof marks on the right side of the receiver are W /154 and S/92 plus what I've heard referred to as a "droop wing" eagle. S/N is 8452 with what I believe to be an "e" suffix. The good news is all numbers match, it's in excellent mechanical condition, and the bore is pristine. Bad news is there is only about 50% remaining finish. So a pistol that probably has been seldom fired but probably was stored in a holster too long. But it's an unmessed with piece, When I first bought it I picked up two magazines that had the proper aluminum bases and what appears to be nickle plating and droop wing 63 proofs.

Thanks
Greg
marine kabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Jack Lawman
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine kabar View Post
...unfortunately I didn't record what I was told here and have now forgotten it.
Thanks
Greg
No problem, John D. (forum owner) records it for you:
http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=13629
Unread 04-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
marine kabar
User

Thanks, Jack. I just assumed that by now all my earlier postings were deleted.

Greg
Unread 04-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
marine kabar
User

After reviewing the forum technical info I now believe my pistol has a "b" suffix serial number. Hard to tell with these old German characters.
Unread 04-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Jack Lawman
User

Setting your digital camera on "macro" (usually depicted by a flower silhouette) allows you take close up shots. We all like to see pictures of lugers and their markings, and good pics elicit good info from the members.
Unread 04-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
marine kabar
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lawman View Post
Setting your digital camera on "macro" (usually depicted by a flower silhouette) allows you take close up shots. We all like to see pictures of lugers and their markings, and good pics elicit good info from the members.
Jack

I'm having to make do with a borrowed digital camera but will try to come up with some good pics. It's a pistol that at first glance isn't one to generate a lot of excitement. Although it has good finish on top of the receiver and on the barrel the rest of it is bare steel. When an antique dealer friend showed it to me I thought to myself.....no big deal. But then I took another look and noticed a few things. For one thing, all the numbers matched and it was in excellent mechanical condition and not a rattletrap like so many of them are with parts falling off them. And I noticed the bore was near mint. So I made him an offer for it. After I cleaned it up and got the grease off the wood grips it's not mint but ain't too shabby, especially for what I paid for it. My chances of ever owning a "minty" one of these are slim and none...so I'm happy with it. I looked for a holster and found a good deal on a nice clean 1936 date and picked up two proper magazines from a guy on this forum.

Greg