LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 08-30-2002, 12:54 AM   #1
MG
User

Question Questions,Questions

Hello Everyone,
I just bought my frist Luger(a 42 bty shooter,dipped blue,with most matching #no.
$ 550 )from Tom Heller and I am really pleased with the gun.(Thanks Tom). But I have a few questions and would like any info that can be offered.

One: I down loaded the takedown info from the Technical area and I seem to NOT be able move the locking bolt/takedown lever(I followed the steps but it will not move) what am I doing wrong?

Two: I have read that the trigger is gritty/long pull on Lugers, but mine seems to have about a
1 pound pull and is smooth. Was I just lucky?

Also were can I find the parts the have the right
numbers on them to make the gun match (trigger side plate part#039,trigger lever #022)for #38 as is on the gun? Or can I get blank parts for this? I know that some of these guns where rebuilt and parts can be lost, but I thought I would ask.
Note: I just want to make the gun look good but have NO intention to FAKE COLLECTABLITY.

What type of grips would be correct for this era
gun as I have russian plastic repos on her now?

I love this site as I have learned alot about Lugers (did not know about the dry firing problem and how to uncock the gun).As I do not dryfire any of my guns,this would not have been a problem but it was good to learn about it. I just love this gun as I have a 1945 P-38 with all matching
numbers and mag.,now this Luger will be my FUN gun.

Where by the way can I find any infomation on my P-38? some of the proofs look the same as on my Luger but I know little about it. Gun looks like it has been fired very little and was owned buy
a collector who was very experanced about them.
But He passed away and I have no infomation.
The gun has no bluing on the frame and looks like it never did but the slide, barrel, mag. are chrome and looks like they also were made that way. Sorry to get off topic, but everyone
here seems to know alot about guns and I thought I would ask.

Thank you,
MG [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

To live in peace; prepare for war...
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2002, 01:09 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts
Talking

Welcome MG;

First To live in peace; prepare for war, that was on several buildings I used to drive by to work a few years ago. Or close to it, a Chinese sayig I think?

There is also a P-38 forum, It is at http://www.p38forum.com/

I also bought a 6 inch from Tom and have another on order, [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

You make a lot of these guys cringe when you ask about parts [img]biggrin.gif[/img] But that is why guys look on www.ebay.com and call some of the parts people on the link on the left (provied you came into www.lugerforum.com and go to gun shows and look.

I am pretty sure that a 42 should have the plastic grips (not the russian ones) on her, although wood ones were common through out production.

Hopefully that helps a little?

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2002, 08:38 AM   #3
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Michael, Happy to learn that you finally received PO8 from SPS; please let me know details. Probably the easiest way to lower TD lever of PO8, is to lock back toggle assy of pistol using an empty mag. With the barrelled receiver now out of battery, the locking bolt should rotate down in a clockwise direction. Some times these reworked levers will be very tight, due to having a new spring installed, so the aid of a screw driver may be needed to get it started, but be careful not to scratch the finish of the frame. Thanks, Tom H.
Unread 08-30-2002, 10:04 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Talking

Tac, duhhhh, it sounded familar and now I know why on the wall at the army post it sounded familar, [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Unread 08-30-2002, 07:42 PM   #5
wterrell
User

[quote]I just want to make the gun look good but have NO intention to FAKE COLLECTABLITY <hr></blockquote>

MG,

What about the fellow who buys it from you in two years? If you stay with Lugers, you will want to acquire better and better pistols. The knowledge of this pistol not being original will eat on ya. It will not hold the place in your heart that an honest gun will hold. You will sell it. The numbers will match and the next guy will sell it for a matching pistol.

In my opinion, the reason that the lock bolt is so painfully tight is that it is not original to the gun and is not a good fit.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2002, 09:23 PM   #6
Herb
User

Also remember to take the safety off, it will block the rearward movement of the reciever assembly.
Unread 08-30-2002, 09:42 PM   #7
MG
User

Hello All,
I have been thinking(not always a good thing) about my post and think that I will keep my Luger the way she is. After all she has a certain charm
as she is now and a history. I would NEVER fake or
try to mislead anyone about a gun that I would try to sell(I have BEEN BURNED BEFORE MYSELF). But I also know that there are people who would.

I was hoping that the chrome on my P-38 was NOT the way she came as the gun does not look right.
So I may have it taken off. If I have the gun reblued would dipping let anyone know that the gun has been reworked(not faking stuff again)?

Here is were I heard about the Quote

http://hosting.themib.com/luger/luger.html

Quote:
The old Roman proverb "Si vis pacem, para bellum" translates into 'If you want peace, prepare for war.' This proverb has become the source of the moniker for the common "9mmX19" automatic pistol cartridge, also known as the "9mmX19 parabellum", and the "9mm Luger", and later, the "9X19 N.A.T.O."; this is one of the most common calibers of pistol cartridge in the world today; probably the most common after the ubiquitous .22 caliber long rifle. ...

I will need to talk to Tom about the take down as
I did try to do what everyone has said to do,but it still will not move. Note: I look above the lever and it looks like someone else had the same problem as there is some damage.

Oh well, the gun works and I can always use Break Free CLP on her till I break something then the will be hell to pay.

Thank you all for your help

MG

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
'If you want peace, prepare for war'
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2002, 10:09 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Talking

Yes, I was playing stupid, I knew the "Si vis pacem, para bellum" saying and was having a bad night, not enough to drink or something, [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Good to catch me in an idiot mode, usualy just happens at home.