LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 08-25-2002, 09:19 PM   #1
stymie
User

Post Extractor question...

I have a mint, all matching '42 Mauser Banner Police eagle L. Would it weaken the extractor spring to leave an A-Zoom snap-cap or live round chambered over a period of time? Did the military/ police carry the Luger w/ a round chambered, ready to go? Thanks!
Unread 08-25-2002, 09:52 PM   #2
wterrell
User

I would not leave a round in the chamber because brass corrodes over time. That corrosion will affect the material around it and, as you say, the constant tension will weaken the spring.
I would also not leave the magazine fully charged. The pressure on springs tends to relieve the tension after a long period of time.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2002, 12:28 AM   #3

Guys,

Another reason to not leave a live round in the chamber (besides being dangerous) is the oil on the gun (there better be some) will eventually get to the primer. A close relative of mine habitually (and dangerously) used to leave her gun in that condition. After awhile (maybe a year or more) the round becomes a dud (more than once).
Unread 08-26-2002, 03:22 PM   #4
stymie
User

Hi... I never leave the magazine loaded as this would surely weaken the spring from compression in time. I was more concerned about the extractor spring. That's why I was wondering if it was standard procedure for the military/ police to leave the weapon unchambered. I use EEZOX... so, dead primers are never an issue. I believe that I have finally mastered the art of decocking the pistol by pulling up on the toggle while releasing the trigger. However, I use an A-Zoom snap-cap for dry-firing. Since it's machined, anodized aluminum, I don't think that there is much chance of corrosion/ bonding. What does concerns me is the fact that the extractor is raised quite a bit w/ a round/ cap chambered & the resulting fatigue might cause a problem eventually... maybe not!
Unread 08-26-2002, 04:59 PM   #5
Aaron
Banned

Wait a minute! Since a round kept in the chamber can eventually cause corrosion, does this mean I cannot keep my revolver loaded at all times?
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2002, 08:46 PM   #6
wterrell
User

That depends upon how you value your revolver. I keep mine loaded. They are not precious to me and I figure that the slight corrosion will not affect its performance or value to me.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2002, 11:04 PM   #7
Roadkill
User

I also kept revolvers loaded for long time availability because of the simplicity of action
and no magazine hassel. Then I took out a Mark IV .38 S&W I had stored loaded in my wife's business for about a year to shoot. One out of six fired. The primers ignited but oil had penetrated the cases resulting in a low powered "poof", one didn't clear the barrel. I rotate magazines in my P1 weekly in the house and change the ammo in the revolver every month.

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2002, 11:27 PM   #8

RK,

In my post above I mentioned that my relative's ammo became duds after a year or so in an oiled revolver. They fired, but the energy was very very low--more like a .22 rimfire than a .38 special (which is what they were). Maybe the primers were OK, but the powder was damaged, I don't know. Anyway, as you stated, firing resulted in low power poofs or pops rather than bangs.

In my defense guns (1911 autos), even when loaded, the chambers are empty requiring slide racking before firing (to keep the ammo clean and hopefully to prevent sudden unauthorized use).
Unread 08-27-2002, 02:50 AM   #9
Freischütz
User

After years of stories about the effect of oil, WD40, etc on primers, I keep loaded guns oilfree and rely on dry lubes for lubrication. I shoot cartridges that have been in the gun >30 days. This also works well if the guns move into and remain in extreme cold. The slide speed of a P.38 is amazingly slow at -30F - even with a dry pistol.
Freischütz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2002, 09:59 AM   #10
Doug G.
User

Stymie, to answer the question you asked, no I would not leave a snap cap in the chamber. I think that it qould weaken the spring over time. Use the method of pulling the toggle up a bit and pulling the trigger to de-**** the gun.