LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 03-20-2024, 04:19 PM   #1
Lemmy777
New User

Cool Bought a near mint 70s era Interarms Luger P08 as a shooter. Would like to adjust the

Hey everyone, I just bought a 70s era Interarms P08 with 6” barrel from Simpson Ltd last week. I’m new to guns as a whole and bought it specifically to shoot. I’ve noticed that in order for me to hit my targets accurately, I need to aim up and to the right of my target. it’s my understanding that the rear sight is fixed, but would I or perhaps an experienced gunsmith be able to adjust the front sight to correct it? do I need one of those expensive original adjustment tools? Since it is a post war model, I don’t mind doing anything that could lessen its value as long as it increases performance. I’m already saving up for another to keep untouched. Very cool guns and I’m excited to learn more. I took a brief look through the search bar about my question and was a bit confused as to the right way to go about this. I apologize if I’m in the wrong thread or breaking any forum rules. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73223890311__96947DA4-8564-4DAF-B5F9-0644B3CE67B3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	88336  

Lemmy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Lemmy777 for your post:
Unread 03-20-2024, 08:20 PM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Caleb.

This nice pistol is chambered for .30 Luger, right? The caliber is fun to shoot, although it will be relatively expensive to feed this thing. If you like this gun, you might consider reloading for it.

The 70s Mauser Parabellums are collectible in their own right/niche, and have plenty of value--which seems to have increased as of late. Your rig/box is complete, which is a plus in that realm.

You mentioned being new to guns... If you're right-handed and grouping to the lower left, that's the classic manifestation of "the flinch." One's involuntary anticipation of the recoil causes it. Your grip of the gun and how you press the trigger are also very important. Fortunately, a shooter can learn to address these issues, so taking a course of instruction may be in order. Then practice, practice, practice!

p.s. I think this should have been posted in New Collectors Forum, or maybe Post-War Lugers, but perhaps a moderator will move it there for you.
Unread 03-20-2024, 09:10 PM   #3
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

Low left for a right handed shooter is typically gripping the gun too tight. And /or flinching into the gun and anticipating recoil. No need for a "death grip". Grip the pistol like you would hold a live bird in your hand without crushing it, but so it won't escape your grasp. Make sure you are not moving your other fingers as the gun goes off, only your trigger finger moving straight back on the trigger. A tight grip will shoot low, a loose grip will shoot high. Don't screw with the sights. The gun is zeroed as is.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 03-21-2024, 03:52 AM   #4
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

I would not recommend using it as a shooter.
These are collectable and have increased in value.

If you do decide to devalue it by shooting, do not use the magazines it came with. The bottoms will break.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 03-21-2024, 06:58 AM   #5
Kiwi
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
This nice pistol is chambered for .30 Luger, right? The caliber is fun to shoot, although it will be relatively expensive to feed this thing. If you like this gun, you might consider reloading for it.
It could be chambered in either .30 Luger, or 9mm Parabellum

The serial number will tell you which

The model in .30 Luger is numbered 10.001001
and 11.001001 for the 9mm.

As others have said - do not mess with the sights
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Kiwi for your post:
Unread 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM   #6
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

The front sight can be adjusted with a special adjusting tool.
The Swiss tools will work on the standard .30 luger sight.

A P08 adjusting tool will work on the 9mm.
The following member says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 03-21-2024, 09:02 AM   #7
Lemmy777
New User

Thanks everyone! I’m thinking about buying a cheap beater pistol to learn and practice on now. Eventually I’d like to purchase another Luger to keep in pristine condition, these are beautiful pieces of machinery. I’ve already purchased a mec gar magazine to use with it, as well as a mat and necessary cleaning supplies. I’ve gotten quite good at stripping it down and putting it back together too. I intend to get a lot of love out of this gun but will keep it well maintained. Mine is chambered in 9mm. I’ve already put 300+ rounds through it and it’s a joy to shoot. I’m sorry if I’m irking any collectors by shooting it, but at least it’s getting love!! Thanks again for all the info guys!
Unread 03-21-2024, 10:16 AM   #8
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

The Paul Mauser archive can certify your luger btw.
Unread 03-21-2024, 10:48 AM   #9
Yakman
User

In effect you have done a service. You reduced a collector grade Luger to shooter status at your expense thereby benefiting financially the next in line for this pistol. By reducing the gun's collectability, you have increased the collectability of the remaining pieces and therefore their value.

One thing about it, you have provided the provenance for this Luger's decline.

Jack
Yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2024, 11:53 AM   #10
hayhugh
User

What did he say????????????
hayhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to hayhugh for your post:
Unread 03-21-2024, 01:13 PM   #11
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Well, to be honest: buying a relatively rare new in box European market Mauser Parabellum to use as a shooter is not the most brilliant idea.

But it is the OP's gun and his choice.
Unread 03-21-2024, 02:30 PM   #12
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Talking

Caleb,

I also own a Luger exactly like the one that you recently purchased. I purchased mine years ago, and agree that they are beautiful weapons. I also shoot mine, and reload for it. As others have said above, the Luger is just fine, it is the inexperienced shooter that is placing the bullets low and left. That can be corrected.....don't alter the gun. Enjoy and have fun with your new Luger!!
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 03-21-2024, 03:08 PM   #13
Lemmy777
New User

Vlim, I appreciate the honesty! I went for an Interarms Luger because I wouldn’t feel comfortable shooting a wartime gun despite them being lower in price. I was under the assumption that these post war models weren’t all that valuable, and the collectible ones were just the war time models. Oh well, at the end of the day at least I’m enjoying it! Glad to hear you’re enjoying yours too rhuff!
The following 2 members says Thank You to Lemmy777 for your post:
Unread 03-21-2024, 05:25 PM   #14
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

Lugers, and all other firearms, were made to be used. That's why they have a hole in the end of the barrel. It's where the bullet comes out. If people buy guns just to look at, that is their business. However, I find that to be a fruitless endeavor. I'm not concerned with how much a new in the box gun is worth, as we all value things differently. If I make money, Ok. If I lose money, OK. If I'm not going to take it to the range and enjoy it, what's the point? Who am I preserving it for?
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 03-21-2024, 05:34 PM   #15
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

That method of reasoning is a little bit on the simple side.

There is a not unimportant matter of the preservation of history, the protection against wear and tear in order to not only preserve the item, it's context and it's current and future value.
The following member says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 03-21-2024, 06:24 PM   #16
HerrKaiser
User

Vlim, I agree with and understand what you’re saying in a meta sense but also fundamentally with gunbugs. In pursuing my history Master’s, I of course had to spend time and take classes about museum work and material history. One of the recurring themes was that machinery with interacting parts need to be run in order to be properly maintained or else they will fall to neglect. No one says that someone is ruining a collectible car by making sure the engine does in fact run or if they take it around the block every now and again. I fail to see how guns do not fit this mold.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2024, 06:31 PM   #17
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Having been in the classic car world, the gun collecting world and the world of historical research, I tend to disagree with your assumptions.

A gun can survive not shooting for decades, even centuries. Cars depend on a form of internal lubrication that is far more complicated and demanding than any gun requires.

Besides, even certain cars can survive decades of immobility when properly cared for.

And these Mauser Parabellums prove my point. Many have been stored in their original boxes for 50+ years now and they are still in immaculate condition. Guns do not require shooting as a preserveration measure.
The following 5 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 03-22-2024, 08:05 AM   #18
HerrKaiser
User

While true, we also find old cars and planes from WW2 that are still boxes that were buried in a warehouse and get them running, and many are fairly well preserved as found.

Anecdotally I have seen many collectors who do shoot their pieces on occasion and so long as they properly clean and maintain the guns, they have had little issue with depreciation and by all accounts they are extremely well preserved items.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 03-22-2024, 09:25 AM   #19
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Those 'boxed up' finds always need extensive restoration work.

Occasionally shooting an already used gun will still cause wear and possible parts failure.

Occasionally shooting a formerly new in box gun causes wear that cannot be undone and takes away the NIB bit, creating a used in box gun instead. Which causes a steeper devaluation than shooting an already used gun.

So when looking from a preserveration and investment angle, you always end up hurting the value. Fact, not opinion.
Unread 03-22-2024, 11:26 AM   #20
Patrick Sweeney
User

Shooting a NIB firearm is like the first drive off of the dealer's lot with a new car. You have depreciated it in the biggest amount, on the first step.

That said, it's a free country, and if someone wants to plunk down their hard-earned cash to do exactly that, OK.

We can shed a tear over the wear, and risk of damage, but we all get to make choices.
Patrick Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Patrick Sweeney for your post: