LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 11-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #1
rolandtg
User

Default Another little Llama .32

I was digging around in the safe the other night and found this.
I thought I'd get it out and take some mediocre photos.
It's a 1962 .32 Llama XA.
I got this about 10 years ago at a show.
It shows a bit of box wear but otherwise it's like new and as far as I can tell it's unfired.
I should get some shots in sunlight, it really has a mirror finish.
My father had one of these and it was the first pistol I ever shot.
Because of that I have a soft spot for these Llamas.
Unfortunately my dad traded his away in the late 80's (man, I was pissed!) so when I found this boxed example that matched my fathers old pistol I picked it up.
I just need to get another one I can actually shoot!
(I almost bought a really nice .22 example at a show this weekend but it was priced a bit too high for me.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Llama_XA_1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	78342  

Name:	Llama_XA_2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	78343  

Name:	Llama_XA_3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	78344  

Name:	Llama_XA_4.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	78345  

Name:	Llama_XA_5.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	78346  

rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to rolandtg for your post:
Unread 11-26-2019, 12:12 AM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Nice pistol, Dana. I like the .32s as well--except maybe when it comes time to buy ammo.

Your XA and the XV (.22) are contemporary with the first IIIAs (.380) after the Model III, IIRC. Wide based mags for all, coarser checkering on the wooden grips, no lanyard loops on the "Especial" versions. I believe this is also when production changed to cast parts instead of parts machined from scratch.

If you take this apart, you'll find most of the parts--the major components and internals, particularly the fitted ones-- have a 3-digit number (unrelated to the serial number) used to keep them together during production.
Unread 11-26-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
Zorba
User

I like it - maybe I need one...
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
rolandtg
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Nice pistol, Dana. I like the .32s as well--except maybe when it comes time to buy ammo.

Your XA and the XV (.22) are contemporary with the first IIIAs (.380) after the Model III, IIRC. Wide based mags for all, coarser checkering on the wooden grips, no lanyard loops on the "Especial" versions. I believe this is also when production changed to cast parts instead of parts machined from scratch.

If you take this apart, you'll find most of the parts--the major components and internals, particularly the fitted ones-- have a 3-digit number (unrelated to the serial number) used to keep them together during production.
There's no cast parts in my pistol that I can tell. I think it was later, '70's-80's, that Llama began using cast parts and that's when their reputation began to suffer.
The following member says Thank You to rolandtg for your post:
Unread 11-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
Eugen
User

rolandtg, I am not much a fan of Llama, but that is one nice minty example that is worthy of owning. I love shooting and reloading 32acp.

After retirement I worked part-time in a mom & pop gun shop. One day a rather scroungy old guy came into the shop asking if we could refinish his 9mm(?) Llama. The gun while not appearing used much had a corrosion damaged finish. When asked what happened he stated that one of his cats pissed on it. He further stated that when he discovered the damage, he pissed on his cat. He explained his retribution in great detail and with pride, not that we cared to hear it. The whole matter caused us to later wonder what kind of house this guy lived in, how many cats he had and how he stored his firearms. After he left we quickly washed our hands thoroughly. We sent it off to a local smith that did refinishing work. He was pleased when he got it back. He's a happy Llama owner.
Unread 11-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #6
rolandtg
User

That's.... a strange story.

I had a buddy who had a 9mm Llama made in the '80's.
It was adequate, nothing special, kinda ugly. I didn't care for the plastic grips.
Personally, I wouldn't buy any Llama made after the mid- 60's unless it was a really good deal.

Mine above I paid $300 for, which is about my limit for these in any caliber.
Unread 11-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandtg View Post
There's no cast parts in my pistol that I can tell. I think it was later, '70's-80's, that Llama began using cast parts and that's when their reputation began to suffer.
Here's a link with more Llama info than you can shake several sticks at https://carbinesforcollectors.com/llamapage.html

Your time frame may just be right concerning the transition to casting technology, roughly the same as when Mauser made Parabellums, which also use the tech. I think also with the change, the frames from then on were a fraction of an inch wider. Anyway, the difference can be spotted by the surface textures inside the frame and on small parts. The earliest of mine have small parts that were obviously made and fitted by hand.
Unread 11-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #8
Curly1
User

Nice example!

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #9
Mister Sunshine
User

I bought one of these cute little pistols several years ago for $75. It was cheap because it was broken. The pistol would not stay cocked. It looked like an easy fix. Was I in for a surprise. After taking the pistol apart I found it hard to believe the gun ever worked. While it resembles the 1911, inside they are in fact poles apart in design. The problem auto pistol designers have had from the late nineteenth century is how to transfer the action of pulling the trigger to the hammer or firing pin. Browning came up with the best idea , in my opinion. Most designers simple took the action outside the pistol by use of levers are what have you. The Llama I bought defied description. The man I bought the pistol from had ordered internal parts for the 1911 which he found were of no use. A friend saw the pistol and just had to have it despite my insistence that it could not be fixed. He wanted it anyway. He took it to a man who said he could fix it easily. After about two months he gave it back to my friend saying he could not make the gun work. My friend sold it to someone I never met. He told me later that he did get the pistol working. I didn't believe it and I have never bought another Llama. Another friend has two Llamas and he said both work without any problems. I did not ask to take them apart.
Mister Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote