LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 11-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default .22 case failure

Experienced colleagues,

I was shooting with a friend a few days ago. His gun is a 22 semi-auto rifle from which he has fired hundreds of rounds. A round made an unusual "pop" noise and smoke emerged from the receiver. The action did not cycle to engage another round and we found the torn-off head of a .22 round under the gun.

Upon returning home and examining the gun we found the bullet lodged about an inch ahead of the chamber. I tapped out the bullet with a brass rod (with little effort) and the rest of the case came out with the bullet. The gun was carefully examined before and after cleaning. There was no evidence of a bore obstruction and no evidence of damage. Aside from the flattened nose of the bullet from tapping it out there are no marks on the bullet to indicate an obstruction.

My theory is that the case separation was due to a manufacturing defect. The head of the case separated when the bullet entered the rifling, pushing the breech block back enough to expel the broken head and vent the smoke into the receiver.

I have never encountered anything like this before and would like to know of similar experiences or relevant knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22.case failure.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	78198  

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Wondering aloud if the rifle didn't fire with the bolt slightly open, leaving the rear of the case unsupported?
While I have never experienced such a failure, I do shoot quite a lot of .22's, and generally agree with your theory.
I would also send the 3 parts to Federal for their evaluation.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

I agree that the most likely explanation is the rifle fired out of battery; i.e., the cartridge was not fully chambered when it went off.

I'd be looking for a dirty chamber, possibly with a build up of fouling that prevented the cartridge from seating properly. I'd also look at the firing pin to see if it's somehow stuck forward and striking the base of the cartridge before being released or struck by the hammer.

Also inspect the trigger and sear to see if they are worn and the firing pin was released early.

Finally, if the rifle was being fired rapidly, it's possible that the shooter was too quick on the trigger OR the action is dirty and the bolt didn't close as quickly as it normally would with everything clean and lubed properly. Also check the feed mechanism; especially if it's tube fed.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post: