LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 12-24-2005, 02:10 AM   #1
Snakeman
User

Default Mauser 1937 Commercial

First of all, Season�´s Greetings to you all. Now for my question. Was looking at the offerings offered by Simsonltd under the "banner" section and came across a Mauser 1937 commercial, s/n 6623, catalogue B-08. I was surprised to see (1) that all the small parts were blued and not straw (as all the other banner commercials that I�´ve seen) (2) the condition of the blueing is, to say the least, remarkable, and (3) there seems to be almost no wear between the two dimples under the safety lever. My gut feeling is that this is too good to be true, but I may be wrong (wouldn�´t be the first time). I would really like to hear any comments you esteemed collectors have about this piece.
Snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2005, 06:47 AM   #2
SteveM
User

Banners can be found in varying combinations of finish/strawed parts. The finish of the military models do not neccessarily pertain to the commercials. You can find Banners all the way up to 1942 with strawed parts.

That pistol on Simpsons site looks right as rain to me.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2005, 08:07 AM   #3
Jamka
RIP

Snakeman,
On Jan Still's forum, I am actually running a survey on the Mauser banner 'v' series SN 1 - 6000. (alias: Joop van de Kant). The last few months I was able to examine pictures of many 'v' banners. A first prudent conclusion is, that within these early banners almost everything can be found. It was used by Mauser to:
- fulfil the contracts that had been taken over from DWM/BKIW (Dutch, Stoeger)
- for new contracts (Portuegese, Siam, Latvia, Sweden)
- for deliveries to the German Police forces
- for sale of all kinds of sale of commercial issued Lugers, occasionally also Military proofed

About your questions:
1. Some banners indeed have blued small parts (after about SN 4000).
2. I agree with you that the blueing is in great shape. Look to the top of the toggle, just behind the axle a kind of pitting is visible, but the blue covers it.
3. Either the retaining ball inside the safety lever has gone, or the lever has never been used.

I think a close inspection before purchase would be recommendable. However, the reputation of the Seller is excellent. My personal expierence here is impeccable.

Season Greetings to you too!
Unread 12-25-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
Snakeman
User

Thanks guys. Wasn�´t planning to buy it Joop, but I would really like the opportunity to take it apart and give it a real look-over (like they�´re going to send it to me to play with- yeah, right).
Snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote