LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-05-2001, 04:04 AM   #1
Mike_C

Default Commercial Luger ?

I'm somewhat of a newbie on lugers,and need some help zero-ing in on a luger my uncle owns. It belonged to a relative of ours who was a lawman back in the early to mid thirties.It was purchased on the comercial market around the same time.It's a DWM,no chamber date,30cal,DWM proof marks and a 3inch barrel.Could this be a 1920's commercial. The 3inch barrel is throwing me off.Also it looks like at sometime the serial numbers on the frame under the barrel has been removed.The side plate is blank but the inside is marked with the last two number of the SN.All #'s match and the magazine bottom is wood and marked Germany.Any ideas on what he has?

Thanks

Mike_C

Unread 10-05-2001, 11:01 AM   #2
tom h

Default Re: Commercial Luger ?

Mike, All of the characteristics that you mentioned are consistent with a 20 commerical luger. If you measure the barrel from the rear of the chamber, it is probably 3&5/8th or 3&7/8th inches. If the serial number is 5 digit rather than up to 4 digits with a suffix letter, this would be what most collectors call a 23 commerical.

Unread 10-06-2001, 12:43 AM   #3
Big Norm
RIP

Default Re: Commercial Luger ?

Mike,

a commercial Luger is marked differently than a military Luger. You say that the side plate is unmarked. But look on the lower edge of the side plate and you might see a two digit number there. Some commercial Lugers have 4 digit numbers. Some have 5 digit numbers. But if the serial numbers have been removed then there isn't much you can do, its a shooter. If there is no serial numbers on the frame at all, then it is an illegal shooter. The serial on the frame is the legal serial number on the Luger even for mismatched shooters. If your uncle was in law enforcement then this may have been his "hidden" gun.

"Germany" on the mag is appropriate for a commercial Luger of this vintage.

Big Norm