LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Announcements & Help > Site Technical Help or Site Feedback

Unread 01-30-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
Bruce2S
User

Default HELP !!! could be fraud

Hello. All . I need your. help regarding a situation. that has me concerned or at least. puzzled !!!!. very recently. I posted questions about a Luger I wished to sell and I got a few responses and some good advice ... Then !!!????..... A few days later I get and email. asking about my Luger !!!!!!!!!!?????? Is this SOP ...... I always thought you did not give out emails and no one would have access to my email unless I gave it to them . So. I was wondering how did he get my email address before I answer him I am asking for input from you Gentlemen here on Luger forum..... I do not wish to include his name until I get some feed back .. thank you. Bruce
Bruce2S is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Bruce2S for your post:
Unread 01-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Well, you gave out your Email address yourself in this post:

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showpost...97&postcount=9

I know I would rather deal through postings in a public forum for sale listing, but when you give out your email you can expect to be contacted directly.

I won't re-post the content in case you want to delete it.
Unread 01-30-2020, 06:41 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts

I assumed that you received a reply from the forum or an email that someone sent you via the email option (yours is turned off), but they wouldn't get your email - but I see above that you gave it out.

AS a moderator, I DID make it so that you would be notified if someone responded, as you had it set to no notification on THIS posting....
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2020, 08:00 AM   #4
Bruce2S
User

First. Off Thank you Marc and Ed. I appreciate your response .Would it be a appropriate to give you the name of the Gentleman who emailed me regarding my Lugers? I don't want to create problem for him if he is legit and give the appearance that he did something wrong. Thank you. Bruce
Unread 01-31-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,341 Times in 2,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2S View Post
First. Off Thank you Marc and Ed. I appreciate your response .Would it be a appropriate to give you the name of the Gentleman who emailed me regarding my Lugers? I don't want to create problem for him if he is legit and give the appearance that he did something wrong. Thank you. Bruce
No, he deserves privacy as much as you thought you did.
This happens quite often when folks don't want to get into a bidding/buying war with another forum member or someone else.

I think you are worrying needlessly, you have the pistol - if someone buys it - they send you the money first.

Then you have the pistol and the money. It is the seller I always worry about when I don't know them!

So where is your risk?

This thread is actually in the wrong subforum, this one is for technical issues with the forum, your question is more of a general discussion/other topic- for which there is also a sub-forum.

JMHO.
The following 6 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 01-31-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts

Quote:
I guess I am confused - YOU put your email out and someone wrote you

Now you are unsure of the person who wrote you?

Do some searches of this person who wrote you - if they are unknown, then send an email to someone who is well known on the forum, and long time member - if you decide you can't trust someone from the forum, from something YOU asked - perhaps you should go to the next gunshow and look for something you can look at in hand, shake the persons hand and buy there.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2020, 10:09 AM   #7
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Just ignore the Email you got. If you have not yet listed it for sale with a price in a public forum, it's likely that someone approaching you privately is trying to eliminate any competition an open marketplace would create.

Anyone anywhere on the Internet could have read the email address you posted in this public forum. They are not necessarily a member, and there is no way we could help you identify them even if we wanted to disclose personal information - which we do not do.

If you want to sell it, we have a "For Sale" section on this forum. Read the rules. Ensure that you set an offer price. We are not an auction site. Take good sharp detailed photos in natural shaded sunlight with a camera that can focus, and then deal with those that are interested in buying it. Don't engage in discussion in a for sale posting.

Both the buyer and seller beware. We're not responsible for any problems you may have with a buyer.

You accept all risks regarding listing it on the forum. We simply allow you to communicate with an online community. We don't checkout the member backgrounds, or their intentions. There are other commercial sites where you can sell or auction what you have.
Unread 02-01-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
Kiwi
User

Actually you can see everything except photos.
You also do not get the little flags on posts/threads that you have not read.

Cannot post (or reply to) unless logged in
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2020, 08:55 AM   #9
Kiwi
User

Now corrected - have to log in to see anything
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #10
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Quote:
HI Jamese and thank you for your offer . I'm in Pompano Beach and after the holidays we could chat . my email address is parkscj@optonline .net . If you wish to send me a message . regards Bruce
I'm only here for a few minutes today but this post caught my eye. If the potential buyer of your Luger who emailed you identified himself as Jamese, he is legitimate. He is a long time member and friend, as well as a retired police officer. If it was someone other than Jamese, then you will have to do due diligence on researching your buyer. Just my $0.02

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #11
Bruce2S
User

Thank you. John I appreciate you taking the time to contact me . If I may. explain when I wrote that it could be a Fraud , I was concerned when I got the email out of the blue , having only. messaged here on Luger forum.. I thought t some one was trying and buy my Luger illegally . Since I had not used my email address ......... I had forgotten t 4 or 5 years ago I did leave my email address on Luger Forum !!!!!!!! thank you again John
Unread 04-14-2020, 05:55 AM   #12
jamese
User

Thank you John for vouching for me, But I am a bit confused I haven't offered to buy anyone's Luger in the last 3 or 4 years except at a couple of gun shows in West Palm Beach,FL Not sure why this issue would be coming up now unless he is reading some old e-mails????
Unread 04-14-2020, 06:31 AM   #13
jamese
User

In looking up Bruce25 posts I found

On 12-18-2014 Bruce25 posted the following :

"HI I guess what I'm really saying is that I would like is to be able to meet with someone here in Florida and have them provide me with some guidance about how to sell, ship and photo my"

I responded to his post and suggested we meet sometime after the holidays that was 6 years ago. We never did meet. I guess I know why because he didn't read the e-mail until this year.

I didn't offer to buy anything, only offered to help him photograph, sell and ship his Lugers (I have an FFL) as his post requested.

no "FRAUD" here and wasn't trying to circumvent any auction or open sale.

No good deed goes unpunished lol
Unread 04-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #14
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamese View Post
Thank you John for vouching for me,
Happy to oblige old friend! Good to see your face (avatar) again. I don't remember you posting for a VERY long time.

Hope all is well with you and yours down in Florida!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 04-15-2020, 09:55 AM   #15
Bruce2S
User

Default Any Ideas

HI James , sorry to get you involved. with my post ,"Could be Fraud . "My post got way way to much attention, and I only have myself to blame for it . All who responded did so with only good intentions . and I appreciate that . NOW I'm hoping to find . the best way to move forward in this crazy COVID 19 times. . !!!! Any ideas ? I would have posted photos of my Luger but.had problems just trying to down load photos to my Mac lap top . I need to find a work around or another way to get them on the Forum . regards Bruce 2S
Unread 04-15-2020, 10:18 AM   #16
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,341 Times in 2,036 Posts

Quote:
HI James , sorry to get you involved. with my post ,"Could be Fraud . "My post got way way to much attention, and I only have myself to blame for it . All who responded did so with only good intentions . and I appreciate that . NOW I'm hoping to find . the best way to move forward in this crazy COVID 19 times. . !!!! Any ideas ? I would have posted photos of my Luger but.had problems just trying to down load photos to my Mac lap top . I need to find a work around or another way to get them on the Forum . regards Bruce 2S
Sounds like you need to get your computer act together.
If you can't handle photos, you could always revert to the "old" way of selling, write a good description and offer a 5 or 7 day inspection period and a full refund if not acceptable.

Of course that would require trust on the part of the buyer, which may be slow in coming without pictures. JMHO.
Unread 04-17-2020, 06:53 AM   #17
jamese
User

Bruce.
e-mail them to me and I will post them for you here in the FS section. When you get I buyer I can ship it for you to the buyers FFL
Unread 04-17-2020, 07:02 AM   #18
jamese
User

John,
Im still lurking around here, not as active as I should be.
I was very sorry to learn about Hugh, still have a few sets of grips he re-did for me.
I hope someone stepped up and helped his wife with the colt collection so she didnt get rip off.
He loved those Colts more than his Lugers.
Next time in Florida come look me up.....have more time on my hands and I built a CNC machine that Im sure you would love to see