LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 07-19-2005, 02:06 PM   #1
Jules
New User

Unhappy Help identify modern stainless in a case

My dear Father passed away @ year and a half ago. Soon after, 2 of his handguns and a .22 rifle were stolen out of his home. I have been searching desperately for them with some success, but the trail seems to have hit a block wall. I keep plugging away at it, but in the meantime, I feel I need to replace the Luger for my nephews. It was a stainless steel 9mm in an aluminum case with molded foam lining in blue. I am not sure of the barrel length. I do not remember there being a wood grip, and the steel had not been blued. It came with the pistol, a magazine, a loader, and maybe one other component. Also, possibly, a holster. There is a black Stoeger Luger holster amongst his gun stuff, but he also has a modern Luger.22 pistol - so, i'm not sure which pistol the holster came with. He would have purchased this soon after it was announced that all handguns must be registered. Late 80's? He was pretty upset about that. I have "The Luger Story" by John Walter, and it sounds much like the 'Luger Combo' described on page 240, but the missing pistol was a 9mm, not a .22. I am certain of this as that is one thing I noticed, and he has a box of Luger 9mm bullets and new components for 9mm reloading. I've searched for pics or info on the net, but no luck so far. I see from your forums that Orimar is, or may be, still manufacturing, but I don't know the model in order to inquire. There is a gun show in my area in late August, and I'm hoping one of you can help give me the specs or info I need to narrow my search and not sound like an idiot at the Gun Show. Gee, I guess that means I don't mind sounding like an idiot to all of you. Be kind. The Luger was unregistered, so I've spent all this time searching on my own instead of reporting it to the police so that if I found it, it could remain unregistered. However, I recently came across info(don't ask how) that the local Sheriff has my Dad's Stainless Marlin.22, and someone connected to the chain of events is willing to be a witness, so I'm quite close to at least nailing the thief and sending him back to prison. I've already cost him his jobe, his place to live, and quite a few 'friends'. I had no proof before, you see. Thanks in advance for info y'all can give me, and wish me luck. Julie, Jim's daughter
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2005, 05:15 PM   #2
Rod WMG
User

Julie, I can't help with the firearm you want identified, but I want to offer you my sympathy for the struggle you've had following the loss of your dad. The guys here are very sharp; I hope someone can help.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2005, 05:36 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Julie, Welcome to the Lugerforum. Let me add my sympathies on the loss of your Dad.

Since you have some 9mm remnant components I believe that the missing Luger may be the type described on page 241 of John Walter's The Luger Story...

All of the Stainless Steel 9mm Lugers have been produced by one company that now goes by the name of Orimar. There are unconfirmed conflicting reports on whether or not the guns are still in production.

During their known active production, they were marketed by Mitchell. Stoeger, and AIMCO (which is now called Orimar. You can find examples of the Orimar produced Lugers (all labels) in our Members Gallery. The link for the Members Gallery is on the homepage Menu on the left side of Lugerforum.com. There is a search function which will select for you those albums that contain your key words. I suggest you search for "stainless"... and you will see the excellent photo essays on these pistols. One of these albums contains that last published model availability and pricelist for Orimar.

I am not personally aware of an aluminum case being provided with the purchase of one the stainless guns, but those who have them can comment on this. It could very well be that the case you remember was an aftermarket purchase by your Dad.

You can sometimes find these pistols in New in the Box (NIB) condition as well as used on the gun-related auction sites such as Gunsamerica.com and Gunbroker.com

Purchasing a replacement for delivery in the RepubliK of California may present some significant obstacles of it's own... I will let some of our California members comment on this aspect.

Good luck on the recovery of your Dad's stolen firearms, and if there are any specific questions this forum can answer for you, please don't hesitate to ask. We are friendly world-wide body of knowledge...

Once again let me welcome you. You are among friends.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2005, 09:04 PM   #4
Steve Richards
User

John's advice is good for a number of pistols to look at. As far as the case goes, for at least the last 5 years they have all come with a black plastic case.

Good luck on your search and much sympathy also.

Steve
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote