LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 05-28-2005, 02:19 PM   #1
RobRod
New User

Default Gunbroker American Eagle

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=32554170

I'm very new to luger collecting (This will be my second after a 1920 commerical I got at a gun show) and I was wondering if anyone could see a reason that I shouldn't place a bid on this gun. Right now it seems like an amazing deal, but I feel like I could be missing something. I'm looking for a luger with a bit more collectible value than my commercial and this looks like it would be a good way to start my collection. Any thoughts?
RobRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2005, 02:37 PM   #2
policeluger
RIP

His sale/over the counter price is his selling price at $2,750.00 a bit over priced. Please look around before putting out big bucks.....if you need more help, please ask.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
Tomathvl
User

RobRod,
You want to be careful if you do business with this dealer. He has not stood behind his wares and honored his statements. I would recommend that you look elsewhere.
Tom
Tomathvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2005, 04:43 PM   #4
RobRod
New User

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep looking.
RobRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2005, 07:03 PM   #5
Heinz
User

Rob, a few hints. The dents on the left grip panel are inconsistent with the condition of the grips, they may have been recheckered but you cannot really tell from the pictures. Recheckered grips would be a strong indicator this gun should be showing mare wear than it is. Also the wear on the bluing shown in the picture of the canon where the eagle shows is a little too uniform. That is consistent with a reblue that has been aged back to look honest. The upper part of the eagle looks to me to have been buffed down a bit but again it is difficult to tell from these pictures.

Try Simpsom Ltd who is not reported to be cheap but does have a reputation for honesty: http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2005, 04:55 AM   #6
DougT
User

RobRod,

From what I've read about this dealer on the Lugerforum over the last few months, I would stay as far away from him as I could. In addition to Simpson, Ralph Shattuck (World of Lugers) is also known for his honest reputation and is certainly recognized as one of the icons in the Luger community. If I remember correctly, he charges a one time fee of $6.00 to become a "member" and view his website. Some other Lugerforum members have balked at this minimal fee, but I think it's worth it. Ralph is also a very interesting and enjoyable fellow to talk with on the phone--don't hesitate to call him up and talk Lugers. Enjoy!

DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
Pete Ebbink
User

I do not think WOL has put out a new List for nearly two years. And never had photos on their web site. Not sure what the $ 6 would buy one, now-days.

More than one LF member had reported very unsatisfactory dealings with PIA/Jagerbrief. The other dealers (such as Simpsons LTD, Joe Salter, and FGS) that use very clear and very detailed photos on their web sites with a no-questions-asked, 3 day return policy are the only way to go if one wants to buy through a dealer and pay the mark-ups.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2005, 12:02 AM   #8
thegundude
User

Still, it's tough to pay $2,500 + for a gun that isn't even full auto....

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2005, 01:44 PM   #9
Brent B.
User

RobRod: I saw your post a while back and just saw a 1906 American Eagle on GunBroker, item #32718582, priced at $1,250 with no reserve. You might want to take a look at it and see what the folks here on the forum think of it. I have nothing to do with the sale of this pistol but thought it might be something you'd want to check out. Brent B.
Brent B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2005, 06:53 PM   #10
Pete Ebbink
User

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?item=32718582
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote