LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
54gullwing
User

Default 1918 DWM Feed Issue

I have a 1918 DWM with a original clip numbered to the gun. This luger looks to have had little use in its life. I do have a feed issue when cocking the gun...

When using snap caps to get the feel of the cocking action and feel of the gun i have noticed that unless i **** the gun very fast i will get a snap cap to eject out of the gun when i pull the togle back and before i let the togle go to load the round.

I have not seen this issue on other semi auto pistols. Is there something wrong with my gun or maybe its the old clip?

I do not shoot this gun as it is all matching #s but do want it to operate properly

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance for your help.
54gullwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Matthew,
I 'd suspect the mag. Feed lips inadvertently bent who knows when? Spring incorrect strength? Presuming you are not talking about its ejecting a pseudo-round already in the chamber--which, of course, it's supposed to do--it sounds as if the breechblock is dragging on that first round in such a way as to get it flipped directly out of the action, not achieving its intended resting place in the chamber. The mag lips may be spread a bit too far apart, allowing the round to ride a bit too high. Cycling it quickly by hand--closer to recoil operation than slower hand cycling--might allow it to skid by without flipping the round out; but considering that is happening at all indicates the need for adjustment.

You may soon hear from G.T., our Majesty of Mags. He may blow my story here entirely out of the water, but at least I can leave you confident that you will receive sage, expert advice from him.

David Parker
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Couple of thoughts:
Don't use that orig. mag. for anything except looking at. Not even to feed dummy rounds. Too valuable and brittle wood.
The Luger, may, or it may not, function as expected in slow motion, and I would not get to exorcised over what you see in your home. The range is where it needs to function correctly, however in your case if you have an all matching gun that is not advisable either.
But if you insist on shooting it employ either a Mec-Gar mag. or get one from GT.
How about some pictures of your gun?
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Mag issues...

Hi David,...& David... I think both of you guys have already hit the nail on the head... Rounds flying out of the open chamber prior to releasing the toggle, just about has to be a mag issue... As DJU said, try a MEC-GAR mag, or any other mag... and see if the problem persist! ... Best to all, Merry Christmas! til...lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
54gullwing
User

Thanks so very much everyone. I have just ordered a new mag from MEC GAR. Will let you know hoe it works out. I feel sure it will cure my issue. I know it sounds silly but sometimes i forget this is a 90+ year old psitol and mag. I am gonig to leave the original mag alone and not do a thing to it.

Thanks again David and David and to G.T.
Attached Images

54gullwing is offline   Reply With Quote