LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 02-14-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
135C/C
User

Unhappy Malfunctioning Toggle....Help!

I finally got a Luger.....nothing unusual, just a reblued 1914 DWM shooter that I probably paid $100 or $200 too much for. But it looks good (other than poor aftermarket grips), is "mostly" matching, and most importantly, is "mine" .

This is what's going on:

If you slowly bring the toggle forward, spring tension will not completely close the breech. To close it the last 3/16"- 1/4" or so, you have to lightly push down or tap on the toggle. It will only "spring" closeed the last 1/16". If you release the toggle from the fully rearward position, the centrifigual force will fully and strongly close the breech. With the breech fully closed, you can pull the toggle with VERY LITTLE tension fealt (if any) until the breach is open 3/16"- 1/4". I've never owned a Luger, so i don't know if this is normal op's or not.

I took it to the range to test fire it and had issues with the Breech and Toggle. After the first shot the sight picture looked "odd". The cause was the breech wasn't fully closed. Pushed down on the top of the Toggle (very little pressure was needed....more of a "tap") to close the breech the last 1/8" and fired again with the same issue. Every time I fired I had to close the breech fully to fire again. I also did the masking tape to the back of the frame to check for any battering by the rear of the Toggle. I was suspicious due to some out of place bare metal marks/nicks at the Frame/Toggle area. My suspicions were correct and the tape was usually mashed to goo or transfered to the Toggle at the previously nicked spots after just one shot. I only fired it 15 times, 5 rounds each of Winchester White Box, Blazer Brass, and Federal....all of them caused the same issues with the breech not fully closing and the Togggle/Frame contact.

I suspect I may have a weak or short mainspring. Or do you think I may have other issues?

The guy i got it from has a 3 day inspection period, and my first instinct is to send it back. But I got to thinking that if it's just a mainspring issue, I can take care of it for a $15 spring kit as opposed to paying to ship it back AND bite the original shipping cost which would combine to between $50-$60.

Your thoughts and or advice?
135C/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
policeluger
RIP

The toggle spring is the first thing I would change, good trouble shooting, but also make sure the gun is clean and well oiled.....welcome to forum
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to policeluger for your post:
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135C/C View Post
If you slowly bring the toggle forward, spring tension will not completely close the breech. To close it the last 3/16"- 1/4" or so, you have to lightly push down or tap on the toggle. It will only "spring" closeed the last 1/16". If you release the toggle from the fully rearward position, the centrifigual force will fully and strongly close the breech. With the breech fully closed, you can pull the toggle with VERY LITTLE tension fealt (if any) until the breach is open 3/16"- 1/4".
The behavior as described is exactly correct on Luger. I did not see any problem. Welcome to the forum!
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 02-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Ron, Congratulations on your shooter Luger. I would do exactly as you are thinking. Put in a spring kit. This MAY solve the problem but it may not for a couple of reasons I can think of.

Depending on which parts are mismatched. Is the toggle/bolt mismatched to the barrel reciever? When you dismantle the pistol and re insert the bolt to the top cannon, is it a very tight fit?

Also, you say the pistol has been reblued. The Germans left the inside frame rails that slide against each other..polished and in the white, no blue because they tended to spall against each other during fireing and cause just the problem you are experiencing. This may be another area you might consider.

Good Luck!
Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 02-15-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
135C/C
User

Thanks for the welcomes and keep the advice coming.

To answer some questions:

I disassembled to check for cleanliness and re-oiled before I fired it.

All parts that make the upper receiver/barrel assembly appear to match. Frame, barrel, both Toggle sections, the ejector/extractor, firing pin....you name it. The only marked pieces I believe aren't original to the gun are the Takedown Lever and Sideplate.

When it was reblued the siderails and bearing surfaces weren't spared. The bluing is beginning to wear at certain areas from action operation though.

When the cannon is assembled to the upper receiver, there is no evidence of binding and feels "good". In fact, there is no evidence of binding in any moving parts at all.

For now I'm thinking that a Wolff spring kit, and if necessary, VERY conservative use of emery cloth on the rail bearing surfaces might get this to a reliable shooter.

Anything else?
Unread 02-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Dear Ron, I think the words "emery cloth" sent shudders down every Luger collector's spine. By all means change the springs (saving the originals) and use a good quality gun oil - that should do it. Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 02-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Thor
User

If the main spring is weak the ejection is probably more robust than usual. This condition also puts unnecessary extra stress on the frame ears and ejector. Sounds like a weak mainspring and a strong firing pin spring. Get a factory replacement spring from Wolff, but dont get the +10% spring. Just before the action closes it begins to compress the firing pin spring, that is what it sounds like is preventing it from closing. On a Luger that has the right spring set up, you can just crack the action and the firing pin spring will hold it open until you release the firing pin spring compression by pulling the trigger. A normal spring set up would close the action completely by the firing sequence where the toggle is going all the way back and up. The main spring is the first thing I would replace and try the range trip again.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Thor for your post:
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
policeluger
RIP

never ever sand the rail, even ever so slight.....hell ever 1911 in the world is that way and no one sands them down......a little light application of gun grease and you should be good to go.....
Unread 02-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
135C/C
User

.....emery cloth?! Who said emery cloth?? Thanks and point taken.

I attached a pic of the rear of the frame. It's not the best, but you can get some idea of the contact being made.

I contacted the seller about the toggle/breech issue and a possibly cosmetic (?) crack. The seller has since contacted me and offered to refund my money, shipping, and the cost to ship it back to him.

I just posted about the crack issue on the same gun in the Military P-08 Forum under the title "Is this Crack in the frame "normal"?" @ http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=23559

If you guys who have been so helpful take a look at that post and chime in with any thoughts or advice I'd greatly appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2180.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	11454  

Unread 02-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
policeluger
RIP

This can be tig welded and re-blued if you so incline........I would go for the refund....let us know if we can help
Unread 02-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
135C/C
User

Thanks for the advice guys. The functioning problems might have been fixable, but judging from the responses I got on the "Military" forum I got when I asked about the crack, it is most definitely NOT normal. I will be sending the pistol back to the seller. He seems like a straight up guy and wants to make everything right.

On the hunt AGAIN for a Luger......

Great site and thanks again!