LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 05-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
2smokinbarrels
New User

Default Help finding the right Luger

First off hello everyone in Luger World. I have always wanted a Luger and now I have the money but don't know which one to get. I never realized there are so many different types. I would like to buy a really nice one. I don't plan on shooting it. I was wondering if some years are better than other ones, why some of them have straw and others do not. For example I found two 1937 S/42 but one has beautiful straw and the other has none, why is that? I'm doing all the research this time. I rushed and bought and M1 Garand that was "collectors" grade and sadly it was not. That's why I'm here. I have found a couple on gunbroker like S/42, 1940/42, 1935 G Date, and 1937 S/42. I'm looking to spend right around 2,000. Thanks for the help guys.
2smokinbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Charles:
You need to buy some of the books and learn about these fascinating pistols. You need to decide what era you want to favor--Imperial, Weimar or Nazi. Do you want P08's or LP08's. Do you want commercial or military pistols. Do you want pistols made for Germany, export or contract pistols for other countries. There's a lot of decisions to be made before you go for a "really nice one", which are certainly out there. I'm sure that there are other considerations, besides price, that I haven't thought of--others will possibly add to the list.

Neil

Last edited by Neil Young; 05-11-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: corrected a mispelled word.
Neil Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

For that money you should be able to land a good example of most any common variation. My advise is always to determine which period of history excites your imagination, and go from there. And the fact that you are not going to shoot it makes things easier.
Shop at Simpson, Ltd for ideas.
RE the 1937 finish issue, early ones for that year were rust blued and had straw finish on the small parts, while the later ones of that same year were entirely salt blued.
Read a lot, ask questions and do your homework, and you will avoid getting burned. And if you set your sights on one send us a link and we'll pick it apart for you.
Welcome aboard.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Curly1
User

Welcome to the forum.

You can also keep an eye out on the WTS forum here.

Quite a few nice examples in that price range have passed thru here.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

As mentioned above, do your homework, and educate yourself. Most important....DO NOT GET IN A HURRY!! One does not want to get in a hurry to buy, or sell, as you set yourself up for a disaster. Most of us decide what we want specifically, and then shop, and shop until we find the right item. Then, you have exactly what you want, and are proud of it.
rhuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
2smokinbarrels
New User

I would like one from ww2 era. I found one that's being sold on this site. It's the 1937 s42 for 2,200. Is that a good ww2 one ? Thanks for the help any recommend books that have everything I need. Thanks again guys.
2smokinbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
alvin
User

If buy one Mauser Luger, "Black Widow" byf 41 and 42 are attractive IMO. Some people don't like byf because it's all black no straw no peacock blue. I don't have one yet, too many priorities to consider, but Black Widow is somewhere on my wanted list, for future.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 06-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
andwaahs
User

Dumb question but what does byf stand for? I know its the next Mauser code after the 42 but why the different codes?
andwaahs is offline   Reply With Quote