LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 02-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
135C/C
User

Default On the hunt for a Luger

First off.......I'm obviously new to this board. I stumbled upon this board by way of surplussrifle.com. Wow....wish I would have come across you guys earlier . VERY cool site.

I've always wanted a Luger since I was a kid. I recently decided now's as good a time as ever, and have began hunting for a Luger to add to my collection.

I'm just looking for a "nice shooter". Could care less about all matching numbers and the premium price that goes along with them. That's not to say I want a piece that's been built from a pile of parts guns though (from what I've read that could cause reliability problems.....correct?)! I'm not opposed to a re-blue, in fact, in a way I might even prefer it as I want a "NICE shooter". I would prefer 9mm just for availability of ammo & reloading components, one in .30 cal would work for me as well if the price were right. Opinions of what kind of budget I should set for myself?

I have the "Standard Catalog of Luger" by Aarron Davis. Is this a good start for research and values? The book was published in 2006 so I'm not sure how much stock to put in the $ value tables in the book, but at least I don't feel as "Luger Ignorant" as I was before I read it.

What would be a good source for Lugers? I've been checking Gunbroker and have even bid a few times, but so far haven't gotten lucky. In Wichita Kansas, the Lugers I've seen at the gun shows are usually JUNK and are WAY OVERPRICED, even compared to those on Gunbroker. I even called the pawn shops in town and all I could find was a NICKEL PLATED one with "Nazi Markings" (his words) for $900...no thanks, I'll pass buddy. I've got my C&R License and lately have been regularly checking the Classic Arms, AIM, SOG, Century Arms, Empire Arms, Brock's (as of earlier this week) web sites but so far when I do find something, it's usually a "collector", not a "shooter" and is out of my price range. Any that I'm missing?

Any advice, info or guidance you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 135C/C; 02-03-2010 at 06:21 PM.
135C/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Ron welcome to the forum. This forum and Jan Still's are good bets to find something.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Ron, You might check out the Rock Island Auction Co. Feb 27th regional auction. They are selling literally dozens of "shooter grade" Lugers. Regards
Norme is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
alvin
User

Want to try this one? Started from 1 cent, no reserve real auction. Market decides the price (current is $580 + $30 shipping, it probably will go higher, but you have control)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=156293795

Not mine. Just see it and feel it might be attractive to forum members.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
alvin
User

$1286. I would think it's a very good deal.

From certain perspective, new Luger collectors are lucky -- all you have to do is bidding on it. Not much search is needed for the 1st gun.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote