LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts
Default M1906 Russian Luger - What to look for???

Regardless of what anyone else wants to call it...Exactly what should a prospective buyer look for??? I will be looking for one (as, I'm sure, are others)...

So far, I've got the crossed rifles on the chamber hood and Cyrillic characters on the extractor and safety...

Grip safety; no stock lug...Strawed trigger/safety/mag button/takedown lever..."Long" [reverse?] thumb safety...

Tula Arsenal proof??? I can't quite make it out...looks like a triangle with a slash in it??? On barrel only???

DWM toggle only???

Is there a distinctive set of grips??? Would the grips be marked with Cyrillic characters???

Any other odd or different features???

Thank you for any help!!!

If anyone knows any obvious fake characteristics (like being build on a later grip frame), I'd appreciate the information...

(And yes, I am using Search...Here and at Jan Still's site...Lots of contradictory information...)
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
MFC
User

Rich,
I've read several times in past posts that 'almost' all the "crossed rifle" Lugers are fake... Waffenfabrik USA.
Unread 11-18-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

The "triangle" with a slash that you refer to is incorrectly identified as a Tula arsenal proof. It is actually a shield shape with a slash in it and is a DWM barrel "proof" (inspector's mark) found on several variations of Lugers. The grips should be serial numbered to the gun (last two digits) and do not have Cyrillic characters. DWM toggle only. There may be a DWM inspector's "flaming bomb" mark in the front frame well and a very tiny "3" in the rear frame well that could be a Cyrillic character that looks like a 3.

Last edited by Ron Wood; 11-18-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Ron Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The "cross rifle" Russian lugers are just your standard M1906 type DWM made short frame 9mms with the crest on chamber, Russian marked extractor and safety area, in their own contract serial numbered range of about 1 to 500. I've also observed another 20 commerical type luger that is either a mistake or might be consider "Russian". The only thing different about it is that the N under the crown proofing on the left receiver, is stamped backwards, like some sort of Cyrillic letter. Has anyone else observed one of these? TH