LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-26-2001, 11:03 AM   #1
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default ANNOUNCING the results of Luger Forum Quiz #3 ! We have a WINNER!

Several of the new members to the Luger Forum submitted very respectable scores in incredible times. My hat is off to all of you who participated, and as you can see, only one or two answers could have made a big difference in the outcome. To all of you who didnâ??t participate this time, I encourage you to give it a whirl. The price is right (FREE) and it is a lot of fun!

This web-based quiz format broke new ground on how the forum can conduct these quizzes in the future, and the format can be reused by any member who chooses to sponsor/conduct a quiz. Contact me via email if you should decide to do so and I will be glad to assist you in preparation of the quiz web page.

I had great fun preparing this quiz and I would like to give my personal thanks to Patrick Villiers of Berlin, Germany for generously providing the prize for this quiz, as well as his diligent work in researching and providing questions.

And a special Hat's Off! to our benefactor, John Dunkle, who hosts the servers for this forum, and who stood at the ready to ensure that there were no glitches in the execution of the quiz... even though it eliminated him as a qualified participant.

I will leave the quiz posted until Tuesday in case anyone who could not participate would like to try their hand at it, even though the prize has been awarded and I will privately grade your answers and email you the results. Consequently, the correct answers to the quiz will not be posted until Tuesday after this holiday.

Regards to all, -John Sabato

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Quiz3scores1.jpg
Unread 05-26-2001, 11:09 AM   #2
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Re: ANNOUNCING the results of Luger Forum Quiz #3 ! We have a WINNER!

Congrats Tom! It was fun! till...later...G.T.

Unread 05-26-2001, 11:30 AM   #3
DAVID
User

Default Re: Good job on the test and it was :

lot of fun Now if I can get me some more recent books and start studying for the next one. David

Unread 05-26-2001, 11:45 AM   #4
Marvin
User

Congratulations Tom on winning the contest. WOW, it was a fun test,even if I did not qualify, and I am ready for the next one!

G.T., congatulations on your answers too!

In addition, to all those that participated, I hope you had a good time. Read the books and you will be ready for the next test. Since these are "open book" tests, try to find a copy of Walter's book, "Luger". It is an encyclopedia of the Luger and comes in handy for test like this.

Marvin

Unread 05-26-2001, 11:46 AM   #5
BILL
User

Default Awesome quiz!!

What a super cool quiz!! And why am I not shocked by the outcome? I also need to read up for the next one (and go to bed earlier on Friday night). I am anxious to see the answers to this one. I heard a rumor that Ralph Shattuck is going to let the next winner pick any Luger from his collection as the first prize next time. (Too bad for the previous winners)[wink]. GT, killer score! I answered the questions just now and wouldn't have come very close to winning without using a lot of reference material. Tom's secret is his photographic memory. I also have a photographic memory but I am out of film. Events like this are unique to this wonderful site.

Unread 05-26-2001, 11:57 AM   #6
David Jackson
User

I had a great time! Woke up late but still was able to complete the quiz; looking forward to seeing the right answers to see which ones I missed.

Looking forward, also, to the next one!

Thanks much, quizmeisters!!!

Unread 05-26-2001, 12:30 PM   #7
tom h

Default Re:Thanks Guys

Not too bad for off the top of my head (closed book), if I say so myself. In the future, since I can't win a prize (nuts! I could use a free luger from Ralph) I'll check the references to see if I can improve my score (I tried to change one answer on this one, but my crazy WEB tv wouldn't let me without starting over). I had fun and will look forward to seeing what I screwed up. Particular thanks to the coordinators.

Unread 05-26-2001, 12:31 PM   #8
Patrick
User

Congratulations everyone - especially Tom!!! I suppose I?´m the only one in the whole world WHO AGAIN COULDN?´T OPEN THE FRONT PAGE of the Board. Whenever there?´s a quiz, the left hand side just remains black without the titles. But John sent me a copy of the format - very impressive indeed. I?´m willing to put up an original Mauser polished brass LP 08 cleaning rod with a wooden handle, stamped with the Mauser barrel (made for the post-war presentation cases) as a prize for the next quiz and provide a few more questions.Patrick

Unread 05-26-2001, 12:51 PM   #9
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Patrick's generosity is overwhelming! QUIZ #4 anyone??

That would be a neat prize Patrick.

If the three current quiz winners (Dok, Marvin, & Tom Heller) are willing to submit questions that I can add to Patrick's, I will volunteer to compile and conduct quiz #4 sometime in July. That will maximize the opportunity for a rookie to win.

What do you say Marvin, Dok, Tom?

Unread 05-26-2001, 01:01 PM   #10
BILL
User

Default Patrick..

..my left hand links bar often does take a little longer to load. I use Netscape and, for some goofy reason, it will be already running in the background (WindowsMe). If this happens, the left side loads but no links appear (black background with image of Stoeger Eagle only). I notice that this portion of the opening page is a little slower than the rest even with several different networks that I have access to and on different machines. BTW, great next prize you are offering.

Unread 05-26-2001, 01:16 PM   #11
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Bill, risking a scolding from non MS folks, try IE 5.5 next time

instead of Netscape.

Patrick uses a Macintosh, so his problem is probably unrelated to yours...

-JS

Unread 05-26-2001, 01:57 PM   #12
Patrick
User

Default Re: Bill, risking a scolding from non MS folks, try IE 5.5 next time

I thought the Quiz #3 would be on the black title bar - and also that I was too late. Wrong on both counts. I reloaded my Netscape front page and John has just told me that I was too early. Anyway, I knew the answers beforehand this time. It would be a waste not to make the Quiz a regular event. And we?´re rapidly coming to the point where all the long time members have eliminated themselves - so newcomers stand more of a chance. Patrick

Unread 05-26-2001, 02:20 PM   #13
Marvin
User

Default Re: Patrick's generosity is overwhelming! QUIZ #4 anyone??

John,

This sounds good to me. Just let me know when the next set of questions are needed and I can provide a few.

Marvin

Unread 05-26-2001, 02:45 PM   #14
BILL
User

Default Re: Bill, risking a scolding from non MS folks, try IE 5.5 next time

Ha, don't tell Bill Gates..he would never understand a good ol' Washington boy not using IE. Actually, I started using Netscape when it was called 'Mosaic' (back when MS was saying that they really didn't see a marketable future in personal web interfaces, i.e. 'browsers'). Jest so's I don't git thet scoldin'..I also use IE.

Unread 05-26-2001, 02:50 PM   #15
tom h

Default Re: Patrick's generosity is overwhelming! QUIZ #4 anyone??

John, I'll be happy to contribute some questions and if we can get the partisapation up to the 100 range, perhaps an unusual prize.

Unread 05-26-2001, 03:20 PM   #16
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Tom, If we get participation up to 100 we'll have to automate scoring!

It took me nearly an hour just to determine the winner... and then prep an appropriate notification post after that...

BTW, I will be mailing your prize next week! Congrat's again!

-John

Unread 05-26-2001, 04:51 PM   #17
Dok
RIP

Default Here's the "black menu" info...

The reason the menu takes longer to load than the main page is that it gets "hung up" at www.thecounter.com, loading the visitor counter, and is unrelated to which browser is in use. Bill I'm with you! I started using Mosaic when it really was the only choice.

If anyone should have a problem loading the menu in future, here's a cheat that will get you on the message board. Type the following URL in your location line and it will take you directly to the Message Board. Good Luck. Dok

http://www.lugerforum.com/board/index.htm

Unread 05-26-2001, 05:41 PM   #18
BILL
User

Default Re: Here's the "black menu" info...

Thanks dok, It's comforting to know that there is someone else who is still around that remembers the 'Mosaic' days. At the end of the year are you going to have all the front page Lugers printed in a calendar for us forum buffs? Seriously, anyone think that a nicely printed Lugerforum calendar would be something that they would be interested in? Anyone associated with a printing outfit?

Unread 05-26-2001, 06:51 PM   #19
Dok
RIP

Default What a stellar idea... :)

but choosing the pictures... boy what a job!!!

Unread 05-26-2001, 08:18 PM   #20
Rick K
User

Default It was I....

who forgot to put my name on my quiz submission.

I just moved right on down to the first question and started. I was scrambling around and looking through all two of my books on Lugers for the answers. I left some unanswered and before I knew it, the time was up! I clicked on the submission button. A few minutes later, I realized that I had forgotten to enter my name and e-mail address. ">

Oh well, I did pretty miserably anyway, but I learned a lot!

I am definitely looking forward to the next quiz and I loved the format you guys came up with! Top notch job!

Rick Kimmel