LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-04-2001, 10:35 PM   #1
Rick K
User

Default The Name Of The Rose

You know, I came to this forum not long before the change-over. I had gotten intensely interested in Lugers and was searching the web via search engines for Luger sites. I had exhausted searching using "Luger" for the search word and decided to try "Parabellum". I immediately struck gold and found this site! I was rewarded with marvelous discussion and enthusiasm and access to knowledgeable guys that knew all about Lugers. It seemed to be a small group of guys who were used to each other and liked each other, even though there were on-going but good-natured (most of the time) arguments about various aspects of Luger collecting. As I tentatively made my presence known, and acknowledged my status as a "newby", I was welcomed to the forum with open arms. What I lacked in knowledge(a lot), I tried to make up for with enthusiasm and a lot of questions. I was rewarded with honest insightful answers and was made to feel welcome. I still feel that way now! I was lucky to be privy to the change-over to the new webmaster and the change of the site name. I worried, privately at the time, however that the name "lugerforum" would be so much easier to find than the name "Pistole Parabellum", that we might attract people to the forum, whose views and motives might be objectionable to the "oldies" (there, I've coined a word!) and to me. I'm not real sure where I'm going with this, but it seems that my misgivings were misplaced and people who come here either like it, learn and contribute, or they go away. There are a lot more people here now who participate than were at the old Pistole Parabellum site, but the quality of discussion and enthusiasm has remained the same! And now this sentimental old fart will retire for the evening! Thanks for your indulgence.

P.S. Dok, I posted this at 11:45 EST

Unread 05-05-2001, 05:42 AM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: The Name Of The Rose

Rick,

A great posting you made. I look at a number of firearms Forums from the K98k, many rifle Forums, and other handgun Forums, but this has been the best one yet. Yes, there are time when I don't agree with some of the answers, but I contribute this to an opinion. I may pass along my thoughts on the subject, but I don't get upset at anyone elses opinions. I just want to help and to learn. I know mostly the Third Reich Lugers and I can't help a lot on the other era Lugers, bit other on this Forum know these pistols and I let them answer those questions.

This Forum is for all. If you don;t get an answer, come back and say, "hey guys, how about some help on this, don;t leave me hanging"! With the number of folks on the Forum, we will have differing opinions, if anyone gets upset with another, say so and I feel sure any controversy is not intentional. If I ever make a staement that offends anyone, let me know and I wil certainly apoligize because I did not mean it. Just my thoughts.

Marvin

Unread 05-05-2001, 07:28 AM   #3
Dok
RIP

Thank you for that thoughtful insight. I am about the biggest newbie around... and I know my opinion often does not match others, particularly in the area of collecting. While I appreciate their knowledge and prowess when it comes to this area, I simply can't get my head there, I'm a shooter, plain and simple, and if I can EVER get Teedoor to give me my Luger back, I might even get to shoot a Luger one day! Thank you for being a member of this forum, your support is much appreciated.

Unread 05-05-2001, 08:48 AM   #4
Ted
User

Hey Dok, I am working on ;your Luger and ONLY your Luger!

Unread 05-05-2001, 11:16 AM   #5
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Oh Shucks !! :\ (EOM)

Unread 05-05-2001, 01:00 PM   #6
Dok
RIP

Default YEA!!!! (what more can i say? :D (EOM)

Unread 05-05-2001, 02:03 PM   #7
EOC Bob
User

Default Dok I bet Ted tells that to all the guys Ntxt (EOM)

Unread 05-05-2001, 02:16 PM   #8
Dok
RIP

Default I think you're right...

but hope springs eternal!!!!

Unread 05-05-2001, 02:32 PM   #9
Rick K
User

Thanks Dok, that means a lot to me.

Unread 05-05-2001, 03:06 PM   #10
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Or in my case hope Falls eternal :D (EOM)

Unread 05-05-2001, 05:20 PM   #11
Tracy

DOK, you are going to jump for JOY when you hold your Luger and can really see what Ted has accomplished. My K date is out of this world, looks too good to shoot. Think someday that restoration by Ted Green is going to carry lots of weight when we sell a Luger that he worked on.

Bob

Unread 05-05-2001, 05:35 PM   #12
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Sell ????

Bob, just take it to the range on a busy day and watch the other shooters drool!!

Unread 05-05-2001, 05:45 PM   #13
Ted
User

Default Re: Sell ????

Yes Frank, but he wont tell em where he got it, keeping me for the Forum bunch, but that is okay, I love working for all you good people. Ted

Unread 05-05-2001, 05:46 PM   #14
Ted
User

Default Re: The Name Of The Rose/Thanks Bob

Wow Bob, that is one hell of a nice compliment! THANKS MUCH! Ted

Unread 05-05-2001, 08:14 PM   #15
Dok
RIP

Default Someday???....

I think that day is here... I feel like we who know Ted have some kind of "secret weapon", but soon the world will know... and he'll be too busy to bother with us... (just kidding)

Unread 05-05-2001, 08:58 PM   #16
Ted
User

Default Re: That'll be the day.....NOT!

Dok, never happened. Jesse made a comment like that two years ago, and we talk a lot still. I am loyal to my friends, hell, you guys are helping me so much. I couldnt do these reworks without you guys, fortunately I did a lot of the early ones that belonged to me to cut my teeth on. FRANKS was done by hand and BOY was it a challange. BUT.....it was so satisfying at the end. I DONT bite the hands that feeds the fire! I would be NOTHING without my friends. I enjoy doing them for you guys the most! I consider myself just one of the guys! I hope to meet more of you nice people in person next year at the WOL! ESPECIALLY DOK! THANKS! Ted

Unread 05-05-2001, 09:09 PM   #17
Ted
User

Default Re: Someday???....

Well, Dok, at least I won't play the dirty trick on you I did on Marvin. FINALLY convinced him to look at the first AFTER picture of his G date. He finally couldnt stand it and said, send it to me "quick". That was late Friday Night, I sent him a horrible before picture and told him I was done with his Luger. Than signed off my PC for the night. I let him STEW over that one until Saturday Morning- Dirty TRICK, but we are good friends and I think he later thought it funny too! I laughed going to bed that night, told Natalie what I had done, and she thought me quite horrible! Of course, I still have a few tricks up my sleeves! Marvin is a good enough sport he forgave me and sent me another Luger to redo! Lol-I still have that one too! WONDER what I should do to him on this one! Bad.....Bad....Teedor!! Ted

Unread 05-06-2001, 06:07 AM   #18
Marvin
User

Default Re: Someday???....

Dok,

Yea, Ted works on your Luger and leaves mine in his safe and makes me wait, HA, HA, HA. Seriously, Ted is waiting on some parts for mine to arrive, but I am so excited for you that I can;t wait for mine to be completed. Ted, did that "nasty" trick on my "G" date, but he is totally forgiven for being a badboy! I have seen a number of so called "restorations" on Lugers, but so far Ted's work is the best I have seen, he is the greatest and I feel that his work will stand out in the future as a Luger restorer and the price of a Ted Green rework will add value to the pistol, just as a Gale Morgan rework. I put ted in his class for Lugers!

Marvin

Unread 05-06-2001, 11:51 AM   #19
Ted
User

Default Re: Firearm Restorers

Thanks Marvin, but with due respect to Mr Morgan, his talents as being the best full restorer are WAY beyond mine. I am a refinisher but He and Mr John Martz do work with milling machines, welding, etc that is WAY beyond my own talents. But the compliment is well taken any way, THANKS! I bought the old copy of Gun Collector and saw the "1300 Grams of Rust" article that John Sabato commented on, WOW, Morgan is the best (along with John Martz)! Ralph calls his place the "House of Magic" for a good reason. Ted

Unread 05-06-2001, 01:45 PM   #20
BILL
User

Default Re: Firearm Restorers

Anyone know how many people who specialize in Luger restorations that are in the business? I know of Ted because of this forum..also know from word of mouth here (and many wonderful pics) that he does excellent work. Just started me wondering how many "Luger Restorers" there are who specialize. Anyone have a clue?