LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-02-2002, 11:25 AM   #1
Bill Utterback

Default Repro LP08 holster/rig

I ordered a stock/holster/rig from Sarco in December. They sent the stock, it is fine, but the holster/rig is on back order. Now they are saying it may be several months before the holsters come in. The CMR holster rigs do not come with a cleaning rod and I am not anxious to order from England anyway. The IMA holster/rigs are sold only with the stock. Sportsmans Guide has a holster/rig that looks good in the photo. Can anyone give me any info on the quality of the Sarco, Sportsmans Guide, and CMR repro holster/rigs? Are there any other sources?

Unread 02-02-2002, 11:48 AM   #2
MikeP
User

Default Re: Repro LP08 holster/rig

I got a SARCO rig a few years ago It was ok I, guess, Well made-very stiff leather-I never treated it so don,t know how that worked. You have to attach the screwed on parts yourself-no real hassle-everything including stock fit fine-something you can take out and use without ruining old, valuable, fragile, original gear-if you are lucky enough to have same.

The color is pretty shocking, but probably close to new original.

Unread 02-02-2002, 11:54 AM   #3
Bill Utterback

That's the nice thing about reproductions. The more they get beat around, the better they look. You don't have to cry over a minor scratch.

Unread 02-02-2002, 01:02 PM   #4
Hugh
RIP

The CMR rigs are great, the Sportsmans Guide one was a disapointment cheap thin leather for the straps; the IMA rigs are worth the money, better than SG but not as good as CMR, I have no experience with the SARCO rigs.

Unread 02-02-2002, 01:39 PM   #5
Bill Utterback

Thanks to all, on and offline, for the info. That's the second report of thin straps on the Sportsmans Guide holster/rig. Maybe I should wait for the Sarco holster. I'm still hoping someone can compare a Sarco holster to a CMR and maybe to a Sportsmans Guide. Does anyone have a price for the CMR holster/rig and shipping from England? Their website has no price. Also, do they sell cleaning rods separate? They say the rod doesn't come with the holster.

Unread 02-02-2002, 01:39 PM   #6
Thor
User

I bought a CMR Arty holster and I have several 4" models, police and std military, all are EXCELLENT ++ and not to expensive $70-$100. Whis may seem higher than $35 repos but they are well worth it IMO. They have impressed several collectors at gun shows when I showed them off. Quality and workmanship is excellent and they smell good too. Not like a Buffalos rear end like some of the ones coming from India (I am told this). I completely endorse CMR holsters, they are the BEST REPRO you can buy. If you are happy with the cheaper ones (and some are not bad) that is okay too, but I just love CMR repos, they are the best! Here is one next to one of the Thor reworks! This is the police model in red russet color! ~Thor~

http://members.rennlist.com/lugerman...Frontright.jpg
Unread 02-02-2002, 01:41 PM   #7
Thor
User

Please contact Mr Charles Roscoe at CMR at cmr.international@btinternet.com for current pricing! ~Thor~

Unread 02-02-2002, 02:01 PM   #8
Bill Utterback

Thanks, Thor, e-mail sent to CMR. We'll see what the price looks like for a repro artillery holster/rig plus the price for a cleaning rod if they have them. I don't doubt their holsters are the best quality. Usually, though, you have to pay for quality. If the CMR holster plus rod plus international shipping price is double the Sportsmans guide $80 plus shipping, that will be to much for me (for a repro). This holster with my Sarco stock will also be to use, not just to hang on the wall and stay perfect.

That's a really pretty Luger you have next to the CMR police holster. Too bad the holster button is brass. You could say it was strawed. Or maybe I'm too used to seeing WWII leather and maybe some early German holsters did have brass buttons. Somehow I doubt it, but I've been wrong before.

Unread 02-02-2002, 03:36 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Bill, They do not sell the rod seperately. I asked for a holster customer not long ago and that was their response.

Brass was common for studs. Steel and brass were intermixed and their was no set pattern that I know of. I am sure there was an era where one was used more extensively but in WW1 there was a little of both. I have seen many combinations come thru my shop. Some intermixed steel and brass and some copper as well. Mostly copper rivets. Jerry Burney

Unread 02-02-2002, 06:16 PM   #10
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Jerry; I know you are working on one of my holsters, so don"t get mad at me, BUT, my 1934 Walter Larsen Police holster has a brass stud.

Lonnie

Unread 02-02-2002, 07:00 PM   #11
Roger
User

Hello Bill,

I got a CMR catalog a couple of months ago. On page 17 they show two types of Luger Cleaning rods... a Luger cleaning rod described as an "Original style loop steel rod with brass jag for model 1916" price is $24.75. They also have a reference to 10" Artillery Model Wood "root beer barrel handle", steel rod & brass jag. 8" Model for the Navy, 6" barrel also available... price is $60.75.

Please note: I'm happy to look up any of the prices / items you want, but my e-mail account with MSN is NOT receiving e-mails at this time. (What a pain in the &$#!). If you need to contact me, please e-mail roger_messer@yahoo.com Please note there is an "underscore" character between the "roger" and the "messer".

That way I'll get your information request.

Hope this info helps.

Roger

Unread 02-02-2002, 09:04 PM   #12
Don Bridges

To anyone who can help:

I am not familiar with the CMR holsters and I need 2 or more excellent reproduction rigs for my Lugers. I would appreciate a mailing address for CMR stuff.

Thanks, Don

Unread 02-02-2002, 09:34 PM   #13
Hugh
RIP

Default CMR address

Don,

Click on "links" to the left, then click on "links & resources" and scroll down to CMR and click on it, it will take you to their website.

Unread 02-03-2002, 12:36 AM   #14
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Lonnie, Why would I get mad at you? As I said it is just as likely to have a brass stud as any other type. The Germans used a mix and match method when it came to studs for holsters. I think they used whatever was on hand at the time. At least I have not been able to find any sort of pattern. During the Nazi era there were new materials available and we begin to see aluminum. If anyone out there knows of a pattern and can justify that position I am certainly interested. I am no expert on the subject, it is my own personal observations of seeing many holsters. Jerry Burney

Unread 02-03-2002, 01:32 AM   #15
Bill Utterback

Well, I learn something every day. That's one of the good things about the LugerForum. I've got several WWII period German holsters of various types and all have steel or aluminum studs or buckles. All my German Mauser ammo pouches, including 4 original WWI (steel), have steel or aluminum studs. Portugese, Austrian, Argentine, Soviet, and probably some other pouches have brass studs. The WWII German bayonet frogs I have and have seen use steel or aliminum studs. Yugo frogs use brass, etc. And some replica holsters I have use brass studs. To me brass meant not German or not original. But if Jerry says brass studs were common in earlier German holsters, I am sure he is correct. That makes me feel better about the brass stud I expect to find in my Artillery holster/rig, when I manage to get one.

Unread 02-04-2002, 02:37 AM   #16
Steve
User

Default Re: CMR Repro LP08 holster/rig

Here is the page out of the CMR catalogue with the holsters under discussion. It took 10 days for me to order and receive my Navy rig.

http://boards.renlist.com/upload/catalogue.jpg
Unread 02-04-2002, 02:38 AM   #17
Steve
User

Let me try this again!

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/catalogue.jpg

http://http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/catalogue.jpg
Unread 02-04-2002, 02:44 AM   #18
Steve
User

Default Re: My Navy Repro holster/rig

Here is the rig that I bought with a second magazine puch added to it.

As you can tell, I have a new stainless steel gun from AIMCO.

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/steve1.jpg
Unread 02-04-2002, 09:03 AM   #19
Bill Utterback

Steve - I have a price of 84.95 for the artillery holster and 60.75 for the cleaning rod. Do you recall what you were charged for shipping?

Unread 02-04-2002, 01:35 PM   #20
Steve
User

About a year ago I paid $90.00 for the holster rig and cleaning rod (both reproductions) plus $20.00 shipping and handling. The price should be close to that now. The part number is N.3a for the holster AND rod. The holster alone is N.3 without the rod.