LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 12-21-2002, 11:45 AM   #1
Rook
User

Exclamation DWM Luger too?

Well, I'm new to the board and from Canada. I think I have a 1906 type Commercial Luger in 7.65 (.30 "Luger") There are no markings along the top except for the DWM, it has many of its parts marked 51 and the serial number is 25251, the magazine has no serial number on it. It is marked GESCHIERT under the safety and has the rear grip safety as well.

The Canadian government had this registered to my father, and due to unfortunate circumstances I didn't find out to recently that the gun was still registered in his name although it was willed to me in 1994. What's unfortunate is that it is labelled a "prohibited weapon" under the Criminal Code of Canada (barrel under minimum length), there is a grandfather provision that I may be able to register it into my name under, if it supercedes the barrel length provision due to it's date of build being before 1946 I believe (which I'm sure it is). To make a long story short, if I cannot legally own it by the end of December (unless it falls under the grandfathering clause or find a buyer who does) they can and eventually will sieze and destroy my Luger.

I am currently looking for a buyer in my area, and I'm trying to ascertain the gun's value for sale, any help would be greatly appreciated. The straw is almost non-existant (maybe 5%?) and it is likely to be classified as a "shooter" as I understand it. I have scanned both sides of the gun, but I'm trying to figure out how to upload them, I see Daniel did, so there must be a way [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks. Donald L. Wood, PEI, Canada.
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2002, 12:10 PM   #2
kidvett
User

Hello Donald,

As a Canadian LUGER Collector I am interested in your pistol.

Please check your Private Message box.

kidvett [img]cool.gif[/img]
kidvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2002, 12:14 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,077 Posts
Donald, there is a tutorial under the message board Admin, right here: http://forums.lugerforum.com/cgi-bin/lugerforum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11 &t=000072&p=

You can post pictures, it isn't that difficult once you learn how.

E-mail me if you still have problems or send me the pictures and I will post them for you. Send them .jpg or gif and try to have them under 500-600 kilobytes.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2002, 12:47 PM   #4
wterrell
User

kidvett,
If you have a government position for registering these pistols, are you also taking advantage of the people who have to part with these Lugers?
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2002, 12:57 PM   #5
kidvett
User

Hi Wes,

PM sent to you.

Unread 12-21-2002, 01:20 PM   #6
wterrell
User

How do you propose to "save" this Luger?
Do you part them out?
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2002, 01:30 PM   #7
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts
You not only have a 1906, you have a very early 1906. Production of the 1906 started around serial number 25100. It should have the "long" frame, and only the early production pieces were marked GESICHERT. Later the safety position was polished bright. This is a desirable piece and certainly meets the "grandfathering" provision. I hope you can save it.

By the way, I was surprised by your name. Mine is Ronald L. Wood. Wonder if we are cousins? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Unread 12-21-2002, 11:34 PM   #8
Rook
User

I'm working on posting the pics, and answering e-mails, but being around Christmas I'm kinda distracted at the moment as well. I'm trying to find a blue book to give me some idea as to value.

I would really rather keep my Luger than sell,but I'd rather sell or give it to a museum than see it destroyed for no other reason than a knee jerk reaction to the media scaring the masses regarding violent crime involving firearms, which is by no means epidemic or becoming so in my area, a small island with a population of 125,000 people.

Ironically, it seems everytime there's a high profile firearm related crime in the U.S., the Canadian government toughens our gun laws. They passed a law (one of the ones affecting me) banning (for all intents and purposes), guns of .25 and .32 caliber and guns with a barrel under a certain length (which may apply to the Luger, I have to double check). Their reasoning was these guns are easily concealed and could be used to commit crimes. The irony is, last year someone walked up to our Prime Minister and hit him in the face with a 12" bannana cream pie, while he was surrounded by his bodyguards, and the press. My point being, a 12" cream pie is harder to conceal than my Luger.

Their latest law to keep me safe requires the registering of all longarms, and this has cost the Canadian taxpayers millions of dollars so far.

Well, I better get off my soapbox, I'd like to thank everyone on here for the help, and I will posting the pics as soon as I can. My Luger in far from pristine condition, it was kept in a flap style holster most of the past 50 years, and the moisture from the holster has caused some damage to the finish along the outmost rails of the slide, the gun has wood grips and a wood based magazine as well. Don't ask about the holster, it was a dark brown with a fastening mechanism similar to a ladder and hook, othewise I have no memory of it, and it has been missing since my father died in 1994.

Again thanks for the help and information. Donald L. Wood
Unread 12-21-2002, 11:38 PM   #9
Rook
User

[quote]Originally posted by Ron Wood:
<strong>
By the way, I was surprised by your name. Mine is Ronald L. Wood. Wonder if we are cousins? [img]smile.gif[/img] </strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope I can legally own my Luger as well Ron, I am to hear from legal council in charge of the registering of firearms through our local firearms office Monday to see if I fall under any useful grandfather clauses or what could be done to allow me to register it in my name without having to have it rendered inert.

I noticed the name thing too when I was scanning the board for information, it's possible we're related, whcih might be good for you, because there's another wierd clause that states that the gun can be transferred to a relative with the proper gun liscence [img]smile.gif[/img]
Unread 12-21-2002, 11:46 PM   #10
Rook
User

[quote]Originally posted by Edward Tinker:
<strong>
E-mail me if you still have problems or send me the pictures and I will post them for you.
Ed</strong><hr></blockquote>

Since you were brave enough to volunteer, and it's 12:54am where I am, I sent you the pics Edward, thanks for the help. If you don't get a chance to post them, I'll go through the tutorial when my mind is functioning at a more reasonable pace. Thanks, Donald L. Wood.

Donald, I also happen to be one of the moderators, and I am on Pacific time, so...

Here are two of your pics! Send me more sir! EBT

Unread 12-22-2002, 12:11 AM   #11
Rook
User

Ah, thank you very much Edward. My Luger is far from pristine in appearance but any help in ascertaining value would be greatly appreciated. I'd be surprised if my Luger is worth as much as my paintball gun, but I'm more concerned with trying to find it a good home if I cannot legally own it at this time.

This may sound funny to hear from a Canadian, but I really don't like the government taking away my guns, or any other property I own for that matter.....
Unread 12-22-2002, 11:46 AM   #12
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts
Don, Sorry to hear about your problem with the democratic republic of Canada. I hope you can find a solution to preserve this wonderful piece of history. Remember that the only piece you legally have to turn in is the frame. If worse comes to worse please dismantle the pistol and save what you can. I hope it will never come to that but who knows? Good Luck my Friend. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2002, 12:50 PM   #13
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Donald, Your M06 Commerial luger with the 7.65x120mm barrel should be OK under Canadian law. As I recall the minuium barrel length required is 104mm. Since only about 1,000 of these Safety Marked 06s were made, I value my similar condition #258xx at about $1250 here in the US. If your Government gives you are hard time, you and your "friend" may want to consider a boat ride to the nearest US gun show or shop. I'd hate to see a rare luger distroyed.
Unread 12-22-2002, 02:26 PM   #14
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts
Donald,
As you can see, all of us are rooting for you and your prize Luger. If you need to work the "cousin" angle I could give it a temporary home until you can legally own it. Don't know what is involved, but I am willing to try.
Ron
Unread 12-22-2002, 03:21 PM   #15
kidvett
User

Donald,

Your pistol ( 120mm barrel ) is a Restricted class firearm and not a prohibited one. It can legally be transfered to a Restricted class PAL holder. As the pistol is registered to your father's name, the Amnesty period allows you to posess it without any problems. BUT THE AMNESTY ENDS DECEMBER 31st...The pistol MUST BE TRANSFERED BEFORE THIS DATE...otherwise it will be destroyed and you could be facing criminal charges ( possession of a restricted weapon not registered to you,...)

So, either you registrer it to your name ( having a Restricted class PAL ) or transfer ( sell ) it to an appropriate PAL holder. Approved reasons for registering a pistol includes: 1- Collecting ( you must be registered as a collector with the Firearms Registrar in your area ) 2- Pistol shooting in a Gun Club ( you must already be a member of the club)

Another option could have been to export it from Canada but I think the time frame is too short...Holidays & closure of CFC offices...

SO ACT QUICKLY!

I'm giving you this Legal information as a Certified Verifier for the CFC...and also as a LUGER Collector ( that would hate to see this piece destroyed )and as a side note: I am unhappy with all this Firearms Law stuff as most of us are BUT if I want to continue this great hobby of mine I have to comply with the Legal implications...

Sincerely yours,

Unread 12-22-2002, 03:50 PM   #16
Rook
User

Ah, this opens up a new venue of attack, I know plenty of people who hold restriced class firearms liscences, two of whom are RCMP officers and could be trusted to "hold" onto my Luger untill I get the required paperwork and liscences in the new year. Which is rather ironic again, because I would be getting the branch of government that would be responsible for confiscating my Luger to help me save it from said branch of government that happens to employ them.

A little more irony would be the fact that after I acquire the two needed liscences they would make me wait twenty eight days to possess a gun I've had for more than eight years....oh well, no one said red tape was logical.

I'd still like to thank everyone for all the help, concern, information, offers, and good will. Rest assured, if my Luger is not classified as prohibited, it will be saved, and without too much hassle I might add, untill I get my proper liscences in the new year. Donald L. Wood.
Unread 12-22-2002, 04:03 PM   #17
Rook
User

[quote]Originally posted by kidvett:
<strong>
So, either you registrer it to your name ( having a Restricted class PAL ) or transfer ( sell ) it to an appropriate PAL holder. Approved reasons for registering a pistol includes: 1- Collecting ( you must be registered as a collector with the Firearms Registrar in your area ) 2- Pistol shooting in a Gun Club </strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the help kidvett, they're not too strict here on PEI when it comes to getting a liscence for a restricted weapon it seems, our small population, rural location, and total lack of firearm related crime makes the approval process easier, plus the guy at my local firearms registration office is rooting for me. One person at the office told me "don't bury it in the back yard yet" when he was telling me of some of the grandfathering clauses that may apply to my situation, so I took this as a good sign.
Unread 12-22-2002, 06:13 PM   #18
kidvett
User

Hi Donald,

PM sent to you...

Unread 12-22-2002, 08:50 PM   #19
ToggleTop
User

I think in this great country of ours, Charlton Heston was right. If it ever comes to what has happened in some of these countries, some of us will have to have our guns pryed from our cold dead hands. It will be the only way to keep people from stepping on you! If enough of us are killed trying to keep our guns maybe the ignorant individuals will take a second look. You think?
As they say down South, God Save The Queen!
I really hate to get this emotional but I'll be one of those they'll have to pry it from my hand!
ToggleTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2002, 09:24 PM   #20
Rook
User

Well, Canadians do not have the "right" as do U.S. citizens under the U.S. constitution to "keep" arms, but it really isn't difficult to own most firearms legally in Canada, the government just got into an uproar over concealable weapons and assault rifles in the past five years. Any firearm you would typically choose to hunt with or defend you home with is still legal to own and not difficult to obtain. The ten round magazine is law here also.

Due to the way they enact the laws in Canada, they grandfather the new laws so you can continue to legally own anything you had registered to you before the law changed. Essentially, they wait untill they can take it from your cold dead fingers, since you have the right to own it for the rest of your natural life, and in some cases transfer the right to a next of kin.

Most American gun owners wouldn't be happy with all the red tape in the way of gun ownership up here, but it's not as bad as you may have heard, at least not out in the country where I am. Handguns in cities could make it a bit more tricky to obtain a restricted liscence (all handguns here fall under restricted firearms classification I believe).