LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 03-24-2003, 09:59 PM   #1
saxman
User

Post Hollowpoints For The Luger

Haven't tried actually firing them, but Speer Gold Dot hollowpoint ammo loads easily in my DWM. I was trying to determine if the breech face was holding the case mouth tight against the stop ring in the chamber, or if the round was being held to the breech face by the extractor, as some are saying is the norm in auto-loading pistols. I tried a Kel-Tec, the Luger and a Beretta 92, and they all seemed to hold the round tightly in the chamber with no apparent movement from probing from the muzzle with a pencil eraser. Anyway, after snapping the Speer into the Luger (loading from the magazine by releasing the fully retracted toggle), I remembered that everybody says many Lugers will not load hollowpoints, so I thought I'd let you know of a round to possibly try. Another good choice would be the Cor-Bon 'Powrball', a hollowpoint with a plastic ball in the nose so it loads just like a round nose. I don't know of anyone using a Luger for their personal defense gun, but there you have it.
Unread 03-24-2003, 11:17 PM   #2
Thor
User

I have found that Winchester Silvertips are pretty good feeders in the Luger pistol. I also like the Golden Saber Hollow points made by REmington.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2003, 02:08 AM   #3
Steve Richards
User

One time many years ago I read an article about using a gun for self defense that was written by a lawyer. His advice was NEVER use handloads for self defense if you have a choice. The reason given was that it can be twisted to show that you purposely created a cartridge to create the most horrific wound possible and that you are therefor a bloodthirsty wacko. Always use a factory load for self defense was his advice and it strikes me as being sound logic.
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2003, 07:58 AM   #4
unspellable
User

The problem I have encountered with hollow points is due to the sloped magazine and the fact that the bullet ogive rides on the magazine wall. If the hollow point is large enough and the edge sharp enough it will drag on the front of the magazine and hang up in the magazine. You can check for this with the magazine alone.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2003, 11:21 AM   #5
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

I have mentioned MANY times on this thread that I use nothing in my Lugers but Win 115gr HP"S, and have no problems.
Lonnie
Unread 03-25-2003, 08:22 PM   #6
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

I recently tested several different brands and types of 9mm ammo in my byf42. It took everything just fine, except for Corbon 115gr and 90gr HP loads. They just refused to work right. Most of the bullets fired were HP...
Unread 03-25-2003, 08:51 PM   #7
saxman
User

Good point about hollowpoint edges catching on the magazine. I think hollowpoints should be made so the missing round nose (ogive) is accounted for in the OAL. In other words, if you load the hollowpoint out to roundnose OAL, the sharp edge has got to hang up on something. The correct OAL would be minus the missing round nose - imagine taking a regular military round of ball ammo and grinding a flat on the nose - that round won't hang up in the mag, because it's now shorter, but if you then pulled the bullet out of the case to the original overall length, you can see how it would hang up. I had some HPs made for .30 Carbine using the Speer #1835 'Hollowpoint Varminter', and that's what we did. Design OAL for the regular carbine ammo is 1.68", and we cut it back to 1.63". The crimp line on the bullet was still exposed, so they could have been set back even more. Even so, they load fine in the carbine and work in the mags. You may have to take your caliper and measure hollowpoint ammo before buying - it's all different.
Unread 03-25-2003, 10:17 PM   #8
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

The OAL of my loads with the HP"S is 1.150.
Lonnie
Unread 03-26-2003, 08:26 AM   #9
unspellable
User

Saxman, the Parabellum magazine requires that the bullet nose ride on the front wall. It's this trick that accomodates our beloved grip angle. The cartridge is tapered and if simply stacked, requires a bannana shaped magazine. If the OAL is too short, the cartridge will hit the feed ramp at an incorrect angle. The same trick is employed in most 22 LR pisrols to accomodate the rimmed cartridge.

The answer to the hollowpoint dragging on the magazine wall is to use a bullet such that the ogive rides on the wall or if the edge of the hollow rides on the wall it must be well rounded. A picture would be worth 1k words, but I have some hollow point loads that will hang in the magazine each and every time but will go through a Ruger nicely. They have a large opening with a sharp edge.
Unread 03-26-2003, 11:03 AM   #10
saxman
User

Interesting point, and well taken.
Unread 04-19-2003, 01:04 PM   #11
Jerry.B
User

A recent post stated "... I don't know of anyone using a Luger for their personal defense gun...". Is this a prevailing view that the Luger is not good for this purpose (with the right round)? Why?
Unread 04-19-2003, 01:17 PM   #12
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts
Simply comes down to practicality.

1. It is an old design, and not as reliable as the 1911A1.

2. If you use it for self defense, it will be taken by the police, numbers probably etched on it and not taken care of.

3. If I had one available, and bad guys were at the door, I could and would use it, but there are other guns better suited for that task, such as a 12 gauge.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2003, 10:17 PM   #13
Aaron
Banned

Probing down the muzzle with a live round in the chamber is a bit risky, isn't it?
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2003, 01:22 AM   #14
stymie
User

Glaser Safety Slugs work great in my Mauser Parabellum. I'm going to have to try those Cor-Bon Powerballs for the mushroom effect. Jim Scoutten was pimping them on "American Shooter" again today.
Unread 04-20-2003, 12:45 PM   #15
unspellable
User

Edward's 2nd point. For social purposes use a pistol that's good, but not a sentimental favorite. If it comes to using it you can plan on the police confiscating it, etching all the details of the case on it with an engraver, letting it rust a bit, and waiting until a year or so before you get it back. If then.

I speak from personal experience. Never had to use one for social purposes, but I've been through the rest of the routine. They ruined a perfectly good revolver.
Unread 04-23-2003, 11:50 PM   #16
kidvett
User

I agree with Ed that the Luger design is an old one that had it's popularity as a carry piece a long time ago...

But even in those days it would not have been my first choice. How about a Fitz Special: chopped down New Service 45 LC or an old 1911...

9mm is not my favorite defense round. I tend to like big bores. Compactness is also a factor I consider ( reason for that Glock 19 )

Also that Luger safety is not the fastest around and I'm not so sure I'd feel confident to carry it cocked & locked.

Bottom line is that there are superior modern defensive pistols available...

kidvett
kidvett is offline   Reply With Quote