LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
walker
User

Default Hello

Hi, I'm a new member here & wanted to find out a little more about my Luger. It is a DWM 1917 model with matched numbers except clip & extractor.
The forum is great. I've learned more about my gun this morning than I have since I bought it. Trying a pic here...
Harry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	luger 015.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	2025  

walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Balder
User

Harry,

Congrats on your Luger and welcome to the forum! I am still a newbie to Lugers but I've learned a lot from the friendly and knowledgeable gurus on here.

In order for you to obtain more information on your Luger it would be helpful with some closeup pictures of markings, finish and such. I assume it does not have a regimental marking on the front grip strap.

Regards,

Balder
Balder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
walker
User

Balder, Thank you for the reply. I have found no markings on the front or rear grip strap. I am having a real problem getting decent pics with my camera, but will try a few more of the lousy ones I have taken.
This gun has I believe been reblued. It is a very accurate shooter. Clip is a WWII type with small eagle & faint letter C.
I found a pic in the photo section here. As best as I can determine it is identical to markings on my Luger. I am going to find the original so I can credit the photographer and try to attach to added reply.
Harry
Unread 08-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
walker
User

Actually, I think I'd be more comfortable referencing the photo;
Posted on page 2 of the Memebers Gallery under "1916 DWM Imperial Military" by John Dunkle.
He has a photo showing the proof markings which appear identical to mine(without the white highlight & nice sharp photo quality.
Harry
Unread 08-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
walker
User

Default My photo

Pic of proof marks. Serial# is 215. No suffix.
Harry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	luger 001.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	2026  

Unread 08-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
walker
User

Whoops, suffix is either a g or a q
Unread 08-05-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Harry,

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you have a nice shooter. You are correct - it has been refinished. This is clear from the pitted areas that are blued over. Also on your Luger the trigger, take down lever, ejector, magazine release and safety lever should have a strawed finish (yellow/gold) not blued. The various springs and pins, like the toggle pin in the detail, should be fire blued (peacock blue). Same for the grip screws (one seems to be missing). Finally, on the front of the receiver, where the shape changes from a squared contour to a round contour matching the barrel, the edges are slightly rounded, not sharp. This indicates the gun has been buffed as part of a refinish. In the close up photo the barrel appears to be a different color, could it be a replacement?

This gun reminds me of my first Luger, a 1914 DWM in about the same condition. Have fun with it. BTW where are you in Georgia? I live in Savannah. KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
walker
User

Karl,
Thank you for the reply. The previous owner mentioned the buffing of which you speak. Also some treatment to the grips which left the mottled appearance, although they are unchipped.
The barrel he stated had never been off & I believe it. The machine marks aligns perfectly. One on barrel one on frame.
I lost the screw myself.
Last but not least, we are neighbors. Howdy cuz. I am from Savannah also.
Harry
Unread 08-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
walker
User

Sorry for the" Howdy there cuz". Reminded me of a family name.
It'll never happen again. Old joke , but I guess a bit too parochial for open forums. Thanks again for your input. Very precise post. All points valid ,except the barrel, I think. Picture does make it look like a replacement though. I believe it's more my photography skills than the actual match however.
Harry
Unread 08-06-2007, 03:10 AM   #10
Steinar
User

Walker, if your camera has a macro function (usually a flower), you could use that one. Turn off the flash and place the Luger in a well enlightened area (perhaps close to a window). You could use a tripod, books or something like that to stabilize the camera.
Looks like the Luger is a quite common 1917 military, but you could look for signs of military rework (grip markings/receiver) and perhaps Spandau proofs (rear toggle, ejector and other bits and pieces).

Congratulations with your new Luger and welcome to the forum!
Unread 08-06-2007, 06:37 AM   #11
walker
User

Thanks Steinar,
These all appear to have the last 2 digits so far. The grip that is loose has
a couple of faint marks inside. I see none on the atached grip. I've never taken the gun apart, just swabbed out the barrel & through the reciever
& clip area. From the outside all marks & numbers look like DWM factory except the extractor.
I do need to play around with the camera some. I believe I still have a tripod that came with grandads' Zeiss Ikon.
Harry
Unread 08-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #12
Steinar
User

Must agree with Tac regarding the 'clip'.
It's a little like when I bought a car with a soft top, "kalersje" is the propper norwegian word for it. But my wife always refered to it as "presenning", wich would be the same as tarpaulin.

Tac, if you are tilting the pistol 45 degrees to the left with your right hand while holding up your pants with the other.. would it still be wrong to call it 'clip'?

Anyway.. the extractor, without any #?
Unread 08-06-2007, 10:59 AM   #13
CROLUGER
User

Default Welcome

Welcome from Croatia!
Luger DWM 1915, Luger BYF 1942, Walther P-38 AC43 & CYQ 1944, Mauser Hsc, Steyr 1909, Frommer Stop 1916, SA XD HS 45, Beretta M34, M70, M72, M950B, 92FS, Browning 1910/22, CZ M-48, CZ PAP M59/66, Winchester 9422M, GLOCK 19.
CROLUGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Harry,

I suggest that you field strip and thoroughly clean the gun. It's not difficult - there are instructions on the Forum home page under technical information.

Where do you shoot? I shoot at the DNR range at Richmond Hill, but not on weekends when the nuts show up. Otherwise I shoot at the private range of a friend who has a farm out towards Statesboro, except he keeps goats and there is goat poop all over the range. KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 01:42 AM   #15
walker
User

Tac & Steinar,
Point taken as to calling my magazine a clip. The extractor has a number. It is 80. It also has the word "geladen" on the side of the extractor. You have to open the toggle & lift extractor to see it. It was replaced by a gunsmith for the previous owner.
Cro, thank you for the welcome.
Karl. we shot at a range in Vidalia. I took it over to the range in Carolina, south of Blufton, when it was still an outdoor range.
I haven't been shooting in a few years actually. The last shooting I did was hog hunting. Most of this was done with a Winchester WRF 22. I did try a little with a .45 long Colt revolver.
Since then, I have been more involved with motorcycles than hunting & weapons. I've always held an interest in guns & weaponry, but the bikes are more of a passion. I have hunted Killkenny once, but have never ben to the DNR range you spoke of.

Harry
Unread 08-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #16
MFC
User

Don't forget the (SAFE- LOADED) variation.
SAFE, under thumb safety
LOADED on extractor

Mike C.