LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Unread 03-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
mhinz00
User

Default Recently Found Luger

Recently found this luger in my grandfathers attic after he passed away a few months ago. no one knew he even had it. never talked about it so we dont know anything about it. SN: 8503. Ive been trying a little while now to try and figure them out but im fairly new to this and not quite sure what im looking at. i was wondering if someone could tell me what the markings mean on the grip here. Here is the link to my photobucket album where the rest of the pics are. some are yes blurry and hard to see, i need to take some better pics:

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l52/mhinz00/Luger/

mhinz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
tenbears
User

The markings that are x out were for a munitions unit. And the S.B. 108 is probadly for a Weimar Police unit in Berlin. The 108 is the weapon number. What interest me is your 1921 chamber date.
tenbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
Ron Smith
User

Dow,

M.I. was part of the police unit. S.B.M.I.2.8.108. translates to:

Schutzpolizei Berlin police section (3) Wilmersdorf in Mitte (center) group 8th Centuria (district) weapon #108

Later these units were reorganized and consolidated, so parts of the mark were no longer correct and X'd out.

The 1921 production date and "a" suffixed SN indicate that this was one of the 40,000 1920 and 1921 dated lugers to be procured for police issue.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
tenbears
User

Learn something every day. Thanks Ron
tenbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
mhinz00
User

Thanks for the reply this is very interesting, this is making me wonder how my grandfather got this... did you look at the other pics of the right hand side where is looks like there is 2 eagles or something, very hard to see
Unread 03-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
Ron Smith
User

Those are 1920 - 1921 era proofs. Referred to as "Dove" proofs.

Did your Grandfather serve in the European theater during WWII? If so he could have brought it home. These pistols served the German police and military through WWII.

Or he could have purchased it at any time after the war. Lugers were sold on the gun market by the thousands. Many were purchased by mail order prior to 1968.

Unread 03-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
mhinz00
User

He served in WWII yes and if im not mistaken i think he was in the navy near europe. I will have to do some more research on what he did and where he went. He never talked about it so i never asked him, although i consider myself a WWII era history buff. i know the general history of the luger but was never aware of the significant markings that were on them because i had never had one in my hands. Is there any way to find out more info about the specific police section or who possibly carried the gun? im sure incredibly diffcult to find that info
Unread 03-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
Ron Smith
User

Forum member Don Maus Don M can possibly give you more information on the unit, but as far as anything further, all records have long since been destroyed.

Unread 03-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hello Mitch and welcome to the forum.

I have a slightly different take than Ron on the ID of the marking on the front grip strap.

The pistol was originally marked S.B.M.I.2.8. which represents the Schutzpolizei (Protection Police) of Berlin (S.B.), Linden Inspectorate of the Mitte (Central) police region (M.I.), Hundertschaft (Company) 2, Luger number 8. In the late 1920s or early 1930s, the marking format was changed to omit the details of the specific unit. All of the Lugers of the Berlin Schupo were numbered in a single series extending to over 17000. Part of the old mark on your Luger was canceled and a new number was issued, so the final mark was S.B.108.

The format of the original mark indicates the pistol was issued to one of the barracked companies that served as riot police in Berlin. These were organized in military fashion and differed from the precinct police who patrolled from stations located throughout Berlin. This is consistent with the fact that there is not a sear safety or magazine safety on your pistol. After Hitler became Chancellor in January 1933, the barracked police throughout Germany were reorganized on a national level, given additional military training and, in 1935-36, transferred to the military. Sear and mag safeties were installed only on police Lugers beginning in late 1933. The Lugers of the barracked police did not get these devices since they were destined for the military.

Your Luger definitely served in the German Army during WWII but it's impossible to deduce the history any further without information about its capture.

I am writing a book on German police markings and would appreciate permission to publish the photo of your mark. I will, of course, credit you in the book if you will send me your last name at the email address below.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
mhinz00
User

Thanks for replying don, very fascinating! im going to have to dig into this some more and see what i can find out. since my grandfather passed, it will very difficult to get a story on this gun. sent over the email with some info
Unread 03-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
Ron Smith
User

Mitch,

There ya go. You've got the straight skinny on the marking.

Don is the man to ID police unit marks. I was just using an educated WAG and what I could find in an outdated reference book.

Ron

Unread 03-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
mhinz00
User

thanks guys appreciate it definately!!!
Unread 03-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #13
policeluger
RIP

I know Don would log in and have all the info, Mitch should you put this gun on the market, please let me know as I would be interested.....thanks
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #14
mhinz00
User

This hog is stayin with me for the time being, already had to fend off family members for it! haha but if i do i will let ya know