LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-14-2001, 08:35 PM   #1
gtpooleltc
New User

Default OAL for Luger Handloads

I bought my first Luger a month ago... a 1914 Military shooter (dated 1916), all matching numbers, nicely re-blued, with an excellent bore. It has a repo magazine stamped "Holland". (I paid $480 for it)

I handload 9mm for several handguns, and have made up several batches for the Luger. Settled on 125g FMJ's, with 4.5g of Bullseye, and have been playing with the OAL... 1.150 seems to be the most published dimension. But, I still get a few feed jams... not a lot, but it's annoying at times. What is the best OAL? What was the OAL of the origional ammo?

Also, this pistol is great fun to shoot... very addicting. I've already pumped 300 rounds through it. The fit & function of the action is amazingly precise, better than most (if not all) of my modern handguns. Is there any concern with firing it this much? Should I limit the number of rounds at one session, or overall?

Lastly, I would like to get a good set of repo grips... checkered walnut preferably. The existing stocks are a little ratty... a few cracks and someone carved a "V" or a "W" on the right panel. I've read a lot of postings on your message board stating the most repo grips don't fit well, for one reason of another. What's a good source for a repro grip that fits well?

Great website, by the way... you guys are obviously into this Luger thing... and I already feel the need to get a second one.

Thanks,

GTPooleLTC

Unread 11-14-2001, 10:18 PM   #2
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Default Re: OAL for Luger Handloads

GT; I can"t help you with the grips, but I shoot lots of Luger, and the best load I have found is 6gr. of Unique with the Win 115 gr JHP seated out to 1.150. I shoot about 6 different pistols, and this load is by far the best I have found. My World War 11 German military ammo is 1.163,

but is a FMJ with a round nose, so it is really seated a little deeper than the JHP.

Lonnie

Unread 11-15-2001, 12:13 AM   #3
Thor
User

I agree with Lonnie. The Winchester HP feed pretty good when seat out long! The Unique load is moderate, not wimpy by any means. I was shooting 5.8 grs today with a 115 and they function the gun with authority but not overly so. If you have a gun with weak springs a lighter 5.6 gr load might be better. A short OAL HP is a good way to almost guarantee a feeding jam. My favorite bullet is the Winchester Silvertip which compared to the standard HP of a few yeats back matched the design and profile but has an aluminum gilding jacket in lieu of the standard copper jacket. A good bullet to put into some milk jugs filled with water, WALLOPP!! Just dont get to close.....you will get that Luger wet! There is NOTHING like firing a Luger.....it is so exciting! Almost better than......well.....better stop before I go too far! I love em and firing them every week is a thrill and a true pleasure! ~~Thor~~

Unread 11-15-2001, 12:08 PM   #4
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Thor; you are right about the silver tips. I have them loaded for self protection, but use the regular Win JHP for plinking. They are very reasonable when bought in bulk from Midway. The K-series will be on it's way in a few hours!

Lonnie