LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-06-2001, 03:41 AM   #1
mac

Default 1916 DWM luger

What is the list opinion on the value of a DWM 1916 P08 with no magazine and in 98% condition? The grips have worn points but all in all it is a beautiful pistol lacking a magazine. The seller has a price but it seems quite high. After I get some opinions I will reveal his price and what I appraised it at.

I want to see how these WW1 P08s are being valued as we approach the 100th anniversary of the Great War

Unread 02-06-2001, 03:56 AM   #2
Wombat
User

Default Re: 1916 DWM luger

Import marks?

Original strawing left?

Matching Serial #'s?

Any proof marks intact, reproofed?

Original blueing, or is it a rework?

This is all what determines the value of it. Plus some other things I'm sure I forgot.

Unread 02-06-2001, 07:09 AM   #3
Dok
RIP

Default Mac, print out one of the...

Luger ID sheets in our Technical Info section, and if you can, record the required information such as proof marks and other stamps on the receiver and barrel, and of course the bluing and starwing as Wombat suggests. This info will allow you (and us) to correctly value the weapon.

So much of the value is tied up in the details as well as the condition, that without that knowledge we would just be offering a WAG (wild ass guess).

Dok

Unread 02-06-2001, 08:25 AM   #4
tom heller

Default Re: Mac, print out one of the...

Mac, Assuming that all of the other factors the DOK & WOMBAT mentioned including the bore & grips are also 98% original without any unusual grip strap markings, top dollar on a common date (1916) military piece is about $850 and less $100 for not having a proper type wood bottom magazine.

Unread 02-06-2001, 12:27 PM   #5
larry
User

Mac

bought one about 6 months ago for $550. Has a fair wood bottom clip, original very nice grips # to the gun, all matching about 95% original blue.

Unread 02-06-2001, 01:44 PM   #6
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Just another datapoint...

Paid $650 for one - about 95% blue, all matching, excellent grips, proper mag (VG condition), exc. bore...

Unread 02-06-2001, 02:19 PM   #7
Milt Keller
User

I bought 2 1916's within the past 8 months both original blue, both about 85-90%. 1 has matching nos.except mag and the other, matching except side plate and mag. I paid $725.00 for both. Both are original, never reblued. I feelthat I got a fair price considering I wanted them, and in years to come the prices I paid will seem "low" I bought a home in San Diego that I paid $70,000 in 1976. That was very high then, today it's valued at $675,000. So what's the big deal with 725.00? If you like it, buy it. You will never be sorry!

Unread 02-06-2001, 05:30 PM   #8
BILL
User

Since it is a common variety of Luger it shouldn't be priced too high. It is interesting, though, that people who are not really looking to buy a particular Luger will generally tell someone that it is worth a lot more than if they were in the market for it themselves. So much depends on who is selling it. If it is a dealer or a Luger collector, expect the price to be higher. I am my own worst critic, but most of my guns are worth more to me than the going price. The ones I want to sell, though, are currently going for far too little.

Unread 02-06-2001, 05:56 PM   #9
Dok
RIP

Default Well put some of those in the classifieds....

We'll buy them reduced price beauties.......

Unread 02-07-2001, 07:50 PM   #10
mac

Default Re: Well put some of those in the classifieds....

Now that I have finished two days of teaching classes, I

have a chance to read responses and add my own. I have gotten lazy with time and failed to provide sufficient information. This one is one of the two or three nicest 1916 DWM's I have seen (but I have seen perhaps 10 or 15 in my life and most were well worn or pitted) and so I would grade it as 98% with slightly pitted bore and some high point wear on the beautiful walnut stocks. All numbers indicate this gun is as-manufactured including the stocks. There is a magazine but it is a cobbled together mess that I value about $5 (if it works). The 83 year old seller indicates his daughter is frightened of it (what a surprise) and his son told him he would pawn it for $50 if given to him. The son told him this so he wouldn't give the gun to him as he is disgusted by it. The seller lives alone and wants to sell the gun probably because he is advancing in years. He knows collector guns fairly well but showed up at a gun show trying to sell it. There was a cloud of luger buzzards surrounding the seller in no time. A luger dealer offered $650 and the seller refused this, declining to make a counter offer.

The seller was directed to me and eventually he revealed he wanted $1200 for it. When I indicated I could not make any offer at this time he asked my opinion on its value. I told him I would try to get $900 but if it were mine I would take $850. I made it clear I was not making an offer. In retrospect, I would not offer more than $750 myself given the lack of magazine and the type of luger.

From the posts, it seems many others would have valued it similarly.

Thanks for the comments.

Dave