LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-04-2001, 07:00 AM   #1
Steve
User

Default Auctions

Check this out: http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=1017114

Reckon there might be a bit of a bidder excitement on this?

Unread 02-04-2001, 07:19 AM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: Auctions

I looked at the pistol and it is nice with 2 matching magazines, but WOW who is paying this kind of price for this pistol??? These auctions are getting ridiculous with prices, but I guess thats OK if the person is happy with what he gets. To me, this is a maximum $1500 rig. What are some thoughts from others on the actual "real" value of this rig?

Marvin

Unread 02-04-2001, 08:35 AM   #3
Steve
User

Ditto here; With a price like that I guess the $2500 1939 Navy rig that I looked at a couple months ago wasn't to bad. 95% plus condition with 1 matching and 1 mm mag.Steve

Unread 02-04-2001, 09:13 AM   #4
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default I'd agree...

I've been watching that same Auction - and the prices are ridiculous on most. For example, I bid a few months ago on an 1918 rig w/matching mag, tool, pistol lanyard - and put my max bid at $1090. Of course - I was outbid pretty quickly. I think it finally went for $1420+ or something..?? Just silly prices on some of these - or they seem silly to me, anyway...

Unread 02-04-2001, 09:29 AM   #5
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Re: I'd agree...

There is another one on that auction, with a much nicer gun. Just one matching mag tho.

Unread 02-04-2001, 10:10 AM   #6
Johnny Peppers
User

If you start looking for completely matching rigs, as opposed to matched rigs, you will find that they are extremely rare. They are not just a pistol, holster, two magazines, and a tool priced seperately, but a complete rig. The second matching magazine adds several hundred dollars to the rig instead of the $100 or so that the magazine is probably worth. Completely matching standard military rigs of common dates in 96/98% condition have been selling in the $1750 to $2250 for a couple of years now. I told bill who is a regular on this forum of a beautiful S/42 1938 that the owner turned down $2500 for several years back. I have to admit that it is the most beautiful rig that I have ever seen.

Unread 02-04-2001, 11:23 AM   #7
Hugh
RIP

The "pimp" luger on Gunbroker ended at a high bid of $1500, and did not meet reserve; had 16 bids!

Unread 02-04-2001, 11:46 AM   #8
Dok
RIP

Default He should've took the money and run... (EOM)

Unread 02-04-2001, 12:15 PM   #9
Milt Keller
User

Hey, if you have the gelt, and you want the thing badly enough, it really doesn't matter. Out in California, that's what we pay for a few months of power! I think it would be worth it. I have my eye on a rare 1912 that hasn't even gotten to the block yet. This guy is offering me first crack at it. If it's what I want, no matter the price, (within reason) I'll snap it up! So I do without a couple of new suits this year, and maybe a few pairs of shoes...IT lasts!

Unread 02-04-2001, 12:33 PM   #10
BILL
User

Not a bargain for the Mauser rig, thats for sure, but the market is there for this price. The fact that all these pieces of history stayed together this long is an intangible value that gets into the 'historian' area of gun collecting. Think of what capture papers would do to the price of the rig, and that is just a piece of paper.

Unread 02-04-2001, 02:15 PM   #11
Johnny Peppers
User

I have never regretted paying a little too much for something I wanted, but have regretted not paying a little too much for something I wanted and let it get away.

Unread 02-04-2001, 05:23 PM   #12
Marvin
User

Johnny,

Well said my friend, I do feel the same way! I have done the same thing in the past and let something get away, but I do hate to pay a premium for something. I was activly watching e-bay for a while to get more holsters, tool, and parts, but the prices just got out of hand on holsters. I don;t mind paying a fair price or a little more, but not double the value. I still feel that the products on auctions are good because if you need something, you will pay almost anything. Just a few thoughts.

marvin

Unread 02-04-2001, 06:02 PM   #13
bill munis

I sure agree with Johnny. Anyone can "put together an outfit", but to have an actual, original issued "rig", is the ultimate. I have seen these rigs go from $1700 to $3250, depending on the conditon of the holster and gun, and if it is a strawed variation. The days of the $1500 complete rigs are long gone, guys, unless you're lucky enough to buy it directly from a vet or his family. Look at the prices of out-standing holsters, or the price of magazines. Any complete, original, two matching magazine Luger is a rare find and a great addition to anyones collection.

Unread 02-04-2001, 07:40 PM   #14
Russ
User

2 matching mags is hard to find. i bought a 1939 code 42 compleat rig with 2 matching mags last year for 1700.00. i think i did ok. but that is what i like. origanal guns with origanal mags. this is my opinion!!!!

Unread 02-04-2001, 08:04 PM   #15
BILL
User

Just a word about auctions..some people get so far into 'winning' and competing that they actually pay more than they really wanted to spend. I think that the person auctioning off anything usually comes out ahead. If I set a $200 reserve on a holster it is because I expect to get that much. If two guys start a bidding war the only thing I can do is get more than I expected to get. I have personally gone over what I originally set as top dollar, but, collectors are often not rational.

Unread 02-05-2001, 04:37 AM   #16
Patrick
User

If the gun is purely a collector�´s item, the price will be determined by a few auctions and fewer reputable dealers who publish price lists (Shattuck, Simpsons etc). At these prices, guns would most likely never be used - the risk of breaking original numbered parts would be too great.The price at auction should be a lot less than from a dealer who has a reputation to lose.Bidding for a gun or a rig on a web auction from an unknown source, without being able to inspect the weapon is asking for trouble. Patrick

Unread 02-05-2001, 07:37 PM   #17
Steve
User

I have to agree with Patrick; you don't "really" know if this is the original rig or not. I would have to have capture papers and be able to acquire it from the vet myself before I could feel comfortable about this being an original as issued rig. More than likely it is probably ok, but you never know...

Unread 02-05-2001, 07:55 PM   #18
Johnny Peppers
User

At least you won't have much money invested in your Lugers if you only buy them with the capture papers from the vet that brought it back.

I have an RZM PPK with the Akah holster and capture papers that I bought from the nephew of the vet that brought it back. All the capture paper indicates is that it is for 1 pistol, 1 pair binoculars, and 1 camera, or in other words the capture paper is nice to have but doesn't tell anything about the pistol.

Unread 02-05-2001, 10:26 PM   #19
bill m
User

My god guys, look at the pictures! Ask the seller some questions. Get an inspection period. Look at their feedback. Call him up and visit. If you can not trust anyones word, or you must travel all across the country to personally inspect a piece, you won't be buying many Lugers. This is actually silly, the stuff about captured papers. They can be faked just like anything else and what do they actually tell you, that you have a byf 41 luger with a serial number of such and such. It doesn't tell you it hasn't been messed with. They are nice to have, but really do not mean much unless you actually buy the gun from the man who actually was issued the captured papers. And if your only going to buy directly from a vet, then you won't be buying for much longer, as they are leaving us at about 1000 per day! These auctions are actually a very good deal for both the seller and the buyer. If you do not have a lot of contacts, the auction is a great way to expose a lot of people to your product. If you're the buyer, it lets you know about stuff that you never would have ever known about. If you're not comfortable about knowing if a gun is real or not, or not comfortable with the pictures or description, or conditions or inspection period, then you should not gamble on it and find someone you do trust to do your buisness with. I look at these auctions as a great opportunity to find stuff.

Unread 02-06-2001, 07:26 AM   #20
Dok
RIP

Default I think bill hits the point...

that is... the comfort level of dealing with valuing a luger. Not everyone has bill's expertise in this area, and speaking for myself here, there is no way I would be able to accurately value a luger. So I know, if I wanted to buy a known quality luger I'm gonna buy one from someone I trust, a bill, or a Tom, or a Ralph, then I KNOW what I'm getting, because i just don't have the skill to do it.

But if you DO have that skill, I agree with bill, there are loads of opportunities out there, and it just could be that Luger that's going for $1750 that everyone thinks is so overpriced, might be the deal of the century, because of some little feature no-one else has noticed.

It's kinda like the Stock Market, if you know enough, you play your own picks, if you don't... you use a broker.