LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-12-2001, 04:10 AM   #1
Darell

Default 1938 S/42

Hey guys, just purchased my first P-08 and have a few questions for the "experts". Its a Third Reich "workhorse" with all matching numbers except the side plate which has the two digit number engraved in the side instead of stamped. It came with two fxo code 37 magazines-one has the guns serial number with a "i" after it and the other has a cursive looking "s" with no serial number. Both have aluminum bottoms. The pistol has wood grips and only about 70% bluing. Bore and internal part are excellent. It also came with a holster and take down tool. The tool is marked 656 with a "eagle" above. The holster is black and marked

E G LEUNERGmbH

BAUTZEN

WaA170

1)What you I have and are the Magazines marked correctly?

2)The holster has the same serial number as the gun with the the "i" after it-can this be correct? The pistol is marked 1938 and the holster 1941!

3)Some of the "black" finish on the holster (especially the strap) has some of the finish coming off-its almost rubber like material that I can pick off and the leather is brown beneath it. Is this normal? Thanks for any and all info.

Unread 02-12-2001, 06:51 AM   #2
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hi Darell....

First - Welcome to this Forum and congratulations on your purchase..

About your Luger - based on the information you supplied - according to Jan Still - there were approximately 113,000 1938 S/42 Lugers produced. Since you don't specify the serial number of yours - it could within several manufacturing "blocks". To see if one of your magazines actually "matches" - take a look on the front of the frame, and you will see what is most likely a 4 Digit serial number. Directly under that number - you should also see what looks like an "i" - if these numbers matches, then, yes - your magazine does "match". In short - the letter suffix on a Luger is as important as the numbers themselves - so both the "number" and the "letter" should match...

As for you holster - perhaps someone can jump in with more detail - but as I understand from previous posts - holsters were pulled from random, they they could have different dates to be a "proper rig" - but I'm the wrong person to ask on this

Unread 02-12-2001, 08:56 AM   #3
tom heller

Default Re: Hi Darell....

Darell, From your description, it sounds as thought you have one of the recently imported, Soviet captured Nazi era lugers,as the reworkers seemed to want to electric pencil "matching numbers" on parts that didn't match. Also a 1938 PO8 should NOT have mags with FXO marked on the tube (this did not begin until 1941), so that I would guess that even if the number matches, that it is a larger die set than the serials on the frame and not original Mauser issue. These pistols are normally importer marked under the barrel or somewhere on the frame. See my ad in the for sale section for more of these. Tom

Unread 02-12-2001, 08:58 AM   #4
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Darell, Welcome to the Forum

The message regarding the serial number, left by John D. is absolutely correct. The total serial number consists of an alpha-numeric. Both the number and the script letter are important (if the letter exists-sometimes there is no letter). It certainly sounds like you have a Military Mauser (S/42). That being the case, the fxo magazines are NOT correct for that pistol. The fxo marked magazines weren't used before 1941.

Like John D., someone else should comment on the holster. But it is not uncommon to have pistols and holsters with different dates.

Unread 02-12-2001, 09:37 AM   #5
bill m
User

Default Re: 1938 S/42

Hi,

If you have an import, then I guess it could all be correct as to the magazines and holster and the black flaking. If you're wanting to know if the gun, magazines, and holster are correct for an original issued outfit of 1938, then (1), no, the magazines are not correct -- should be blue rolled and not fxo's -- (2) no, the holster is not correct when numbered with the serial number and the "i", and (3), no, the holster should not be flaking and should be or the original issued black or brown color and not repainted over the original color.

Unread 02-12-2001, 10:43 AM   #6
Darell

Default Re: Darell, Welcome to the Forum

Guys, thanks for the great info. The S/N of the magazine is definitely stamped with larger block numbers. The side plate is electric stenciled and there are the numbers 8 93 stamped in very small size on the bottom of the barrel. The S/N is 96XXi. It has several German eagles with the numbers 63 or 83 under them on the right, forward side of the receiver. Based on this info, can I get a little more info on production dates, numbers, etc. and whether or not you guys feel it is a "Russian" import. Again, Thanks!

Unread 02-12-2001, 11:00 AM   #7
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Darell, the serial number is correct for a 1938 S/42

The 8 93 is the diameter of the bore across the lands in millimeters. The eagles with the numbers are also correct. They are probably 63 or better be 63. Are there any other marks on the pistol, perhaps on the bottom of the barrel or on the flat parts of the frame either on the right or left side. What are the grips made from? Wood or plastic? If plastic is there a "target" on them centered near the top? If the grips are wood and there are no other marks, indicating an importer, then you probably have a pistol that was brought back by a veteran.

The magazines definately are NOT correct for your 1938.

You pistol was manufactured in the late summer or early fall of 1938. There were about 114,000 Lugers made that year.

Unread 02-12-2001, 12:05 PM   #8
Marvin
User

Darell,

As to the holster being a 1941 date, this is a little late for a 1938 Luger. Normally, a holster could be + or - one year of the pistol. If yours is a late year 1938, it should be a 1938 or a 1939 holster.

Holsters ware not shipped with the pistol. The pistol was shipped from Mauser and the holster was shipped from the manufacturer to a Main Army Depot. From these depots, the items were then shipped to smaller wesapons depots for distribution. When holsters were shipped, received, and put into bins, they used the "first in - last out" system of distribution, so there can be a difference in pistol year and holster year, but not usually several years. If a holster had to be replaced for some reason, then the pistol could have a later year holster as you have. I do have some vet return rigs that the holster is newer than the pistol and it is correct. Col Whittington goes into this in his vol. III of "German Pistols and Holsters".

Marvin

Unread 02-12-2001, 01:22 PM   #9
Darell

Guys, there are no other markings on this Luger other than another "type" of German eagle on the right, forward side of the receiver just after the two with the 63 under them. This same mark is also stamped on the right side of the barrel about 3/8" from the end of the receiver. No import markings. It has wood grips.

The holster still puzzles me-I can tell its been "painted" but not a single thread on the holster has any black color on it. The holster definitely has the 96XXi S/N. Who used black holsters and who used brown in the German military during WWII. Also, what marking would be on a originial magazine for this P-08? Thanks.

Unread 02-12-2001, 02:09 PM   #10
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Darell, looks like a non-import to me :)

Read bill m's comments to get an idea of the "proper" or "correct" magazine. Holster are not my bag. I know a little about them, but only enough to be dangerous. Having said that, I have heard that the black holsters were used by the SS Troops. Some brown holsters were dyed black, but I have not heard of any being painted.