LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-07-2001, 11:37 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Liver vs. Steak???

OK, I know I'm going to get some heat on this one....But, P.38 collectors have put down cyq's for years.....unless they are in the three digit no suffix range, it is pretty hard to get a P.38 collector fired up about them!! I DON"T THINK THIS WAY!!! BUT, cyq's are known as the liver of P.38's!! OK, Here we go.....What Luger variation, in the forums opinion, is the liver of Lugers! The 06/29 Swiss??

1920 comm. ??? till...later...G.T.

Unread 02-07-2001, 11:51 PM   #2
BILL
User

Default You asked for it..

..so here it is. There are NO Lugers that fall into that category. NONE, NaDa, Zip!! I know liver and I know Lugers and they don't even exist in the same galaxy. There can be no comparison. Anyone, yes, anyone who tries to compare liver to a Luger is missing some of the essential playing cards. I know you didn't mean to put the two most opposite things in the same sentence, G.T., so you can take it back without and demerits, but..aw, I can't go on, my bile is climbing up my throat..I gotta hand it to you, my mind can't equate those two items at the same time. ARGHHHH!!

Unread 02-08-2001, 12:00 AM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Perhaps.... :|

Liver was too harsh! OK, Tenderloin vs. sirloin!!!.....Come on BILL, what do ya think! till...later...G.T.

Unread 02-08-2001, 12:25 AM   #4
Hugh
RIP

Default :-] AMEN BILL :D (EOM)

Unread 02-08-2001, 12:37 AM   #5
BILL
User

Default Re: Perhaps.... :|

G.T., like I said, I know liver (mainly because I just got a new one, well, a 32 year old one, last year. I had a cancerous tumor in my liver and it spread so fast that they had to remove it to save my life. Fortunately my 32 year old son stepped up to the plate and donated half of his liver to be transplanted in me once mine was removed. I know this sounds incredible, but I surely wouldn't joke about it. I am alive today because of the fine doctors at the University of Colorado, one of the few places that performs living donor liver transplants, and my son of course and my loving wife who took care of both of us as we recovered in a Denver hotel room. I know that this has nothing to do with Lugers but I just had to mention it since I probably talk about livers as much as I do about Lugers. There is a major difference though, you can live without a Luger. Hopefully all of my fine friends here in LugerLand are all organ donors and have shared their decisions with their families (it could very well be you or a loved one that needs an organ someday). OK, thats my plug for organ donor awareness. Now you all know someone who has been there. I am glad you brought it up, G.T....

As for the Lugers that are least desirable..hmmmmm..I never met one I didn't want. Even the mutts are adorable little critters. Later...

Check this out .http://www.ci.renton.wa.us/fire/ffy.htm

Unread 02-08-2001, 12:50 AM   #6
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Re: Perhaps.... :|

Bill! That is incredible! Thank God that you have a strong will to survive, and a family that will unselfishly do what ever it takes to make it so!! My wife is an R.N. on an oncology floor and I am no stranger to the epic struggles it takes to survive an illness of that magnitude! I agree to your viewpoint on Lugers, they are all great, as is life, when your perspective has been influenced by a major life struggle, such as you have endured, Best of luck to you and yours in the future....till...later...G.T.

Unread 02-08-2001, 06:53 AM   #7
Marvin
User

Default Re: Liver vs. Steak???

OK, I have to jump into this one too! I don't think there is really a bad Luger, they are all great! The only difference is the price range they fall into. A to the P.38, yes, the "cyq" has been the black sheep of the P.38 family and it is not deserved. We have accustomed ourselves to the fine German craftsmanship, that we dopn't want to accept the lowering of a finish. The nice high polish finish on the early P.38s is great, but it is not a military finish which should be required. A combat finish should be dull and not bright so it will not reflect light. the "cyq" with the rougher finish does this job admirably with the tool marks and breaks up the surface. The "cyq" P.38 is as good as any other P.38 as far as the intended purpose.

Marvin

Unread 02-08-2001, 08:12 AM   #8
Ted
User

Default Re: Liver vs. Steak???

GT in Harry Jones Book about Luger Variations he does talk about the 1920 Commercial says "too many of them were made" So I assume he was saying they are not too exciting to collectors. I feel just the opposite. They may not be rare but for a pre WWII Luger many of them can be found in pretty good shape, especially with a barrel better than most WWI models that were used in the war. I love this variation, the slightly shorter barrel, the rust blue, the strawed parts and the sometimes lighter colored grips and the numbers these were made in makes this a great variation to find and admire. Ted

Unread 02-08-2001, 08:56 AM   #9
Dok
RIP

Default Great Article... and BTW...

if you want the link to be a "clickable" link in your message, make sure you use the "http://" part and make sure the is a "space" before and after the address.

Unread 02-08-2001, 09:43 AM   #10
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default I Agree on the 20 com.!!

All the authors make some statement as to the excess numbers of the 1920 commercial. I don't believe this is the case anymore! I have always liked the clean looks and the many variations this model has to offer! Also for just a little more money, they are an interesting departure from the imports, or at least they are an option! An added plus is that they are almost always all matching, as they probably never see the abuse a military type firearm might have to endure, I like em! till...later...G.T.

Unread 02-08-2001, 10:24 AM   #11
Marvin
User

Default Re: I Agree on the 20 com.!!

I also agree that the 1920 commercial is a great variation and the price if good on them. Most were sold on the commercial market in the US, but many were sold on the German market. I have a 1920 commercial that is marked "made in germany", but was a vet bring back after the war. I have read somewhere that some of the US marked commercials were actually sold in German Sporting Goods stores to provide weapons for the German officers who were required to buy their own pistol. In the mid/late 1930s when the Political Leaders were required to buy their Walther PPKs, they were allowed to purchase them "on time" from the Sporting Goods Store. The wages during the 1930s was so bad that that was the only way the Political Leaders could afford to buy them. I feel that this may be the same case with officer purchase Lugers which were bought on the commercial market.

Marvin

Unread 02-08-2001, 10:26 AM   #12
Ted
User

Default Re: I Agree on the 20 com.!!

Check out my Polictical Leader PPK pic on my profile. Ted