LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Unread 03-13-2003, 10:33 AM   #1
gunzilla
User

Post Unit Marking?

Greetings. I have a 1918 dated Luger that is a mish mash of parts with the only matching numbers being one grip and the barrel and the extractor and 2 front sections of the toggle/bolt. When I acquired the piece, it was nickle plated by (fortunately) an amateur as the plating was peeling off in many places. I helped it along and finally ended up with a cold blued finish. My question is the marking on the rear of the grip frame. Stamped just above the stock lug are the marks:
W.D.

Also, under the left grip panel on the frame is the number 7017 (which does not match anything else) while the front of the frame is marked 8735. Any ideas what that may signify? I believe the barrel extension is from an artillery Luger since there is a small flat machined where the barrel meets it. Thanks for your comments.
P.S. It is rather curious that the spell checker function included here does not recognize the word Luger!
gunzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2003, 11:19 AM   #2
policeluger
RIP

I believe this is an old naval unit marking and perhaps you may want too post this under Navy guns and see what happens..
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2003, 11:48 AM   #3
gunzilla
User

Thanks for the response. I'll post it in Navy guns.
gunzilla is offline   Reply With Quote