LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 05-30-2006, 12:01 AM   #1
Doug G.
User

Default Borchardt captured in Iraq

All I can say is WOW! You just never know what will show up in a war zone! I hope they find a way to keep this one from being destroyed!

Unread 05-30-2006, 12:46 AM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts

That is amazing! How in the world did you find out about that? I don't suppose there is any way of finding out the serial number? It is almost a sure thing that I don't have it on my Borchardt serial number list.
Unread 05-30-2006, 12:53 AM   #3
Doug G.
User

Ron, found it here.
SUBGUNS
Unread 05-30-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Obviously this gun has seen a lot of use... a tribute to the design that it has survived under this heavy use...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

But how the heck did they manage to feed it???

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Reminds me on the one that I purchased that come back from "Vietnam", although mine had about 95% of the original finish. Actually mine was purchased off the wall of a Bangkock restaurant for $500 Bahn, and I paid the follow who bought it back to US $2500 in the mid 1970s. TH
Unread 05-30-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
Pete Ebbink
User

Probably used it as a clubbing weapon...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
Heinz
User

Do not underestimate the abilities of some of the Arabian/Iraqi/Iranian/Pakistani blacksmiths and mechanics. I have a dirt cheap folding knife I bought years ago as joke when I was muzzleloading. It is made of laminated steel and takes a razor edge. I have always been amazed for ot cost $1.00. For the Borchardt Someone probably fire formed the cases out of mauser brass and hand loaded. Or maybe a couple of hundred rounds lasted them a very long time. Ask yourself how you would do it and they probably did the same thing but may well be better with hand operated tools than we are.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2006, 12:57 AM   #9
Hugh
RIP

I once had a reduced size 32 cal Webley copy that was hand made in Pakistan that was amazing in its workmanship.
Unread 06-01-2006, 01:23 PM   #10
stymie
User

Unidentified Weapons in Iraq - Sequel

Posted By: Stan Holland <stan@XXXstanholland.com>
Date: 6/1/06 09:12

There seems to be a lot of interest in the Borchart pistol that was recently discovered here in Iraq. I was able to get back into the armory and I took some more pictures of the Borchart and pictures of some of the other weapons that we are unable to identify. One of the pistols I was able to identify by doing a simple search on the internet and the result was that it is a 1907 Roth-Steyr pistol. The other pistol was made by the E.J. Smith & Co., London and the serial number appears to be 21. The last pistol is still unknown, but most people seem to think that it is a French design. I have included pictures of the weapons in the links below.

If anyone knows what the unidentified weapons are, or if you can provide me with more inforamtion, or if you know someone who might know, could you please let me know how to contact them? Just remove the "XXX" from my email address. Thanks.

Borchart C93 Pistol
I received several requests to post more pictures of this pistol and I tried to get them as detailed as possible. You can see the serial number (picture 5), the top of the pistol with the breech open (pictures 7 & 8), and pictures of the breech operating mechanism from the side which show the markings stamped into the metal (pictures 9 & 10).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._C93_Pic_1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._C93_Pic_2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._C93_Pic_3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._C93_Pic_4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._C93_Pic_5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._C93_Pic_6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._C93_Pic_7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._C93_Pic_8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._C93_Pic_9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...C93_Pic_10.jpg
Unread 06-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #11
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

So where are the photos of the guns you can't identify? I don't see the links or the photos??

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 01:38 PM   #12
Doug G.
User

John, click here>>>>>FOLLOW THIS LINK
Unread 06-01-2006, 02:02 PM   #13
the gunman
User

Doug what will be the fate of these weapons.?
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #14
Doug G.
User

Their fate is unknown. The soldier that took the pictures has been advised of the rarity of the Borchardt and has been advised to try to get it to a military museum. But some bozo commander may order them all to be run over with a tank?
Unread 06-01-2006, 03:00 PM   #15
shadow
User

If anyone on this forum has contacts at a good museum they should make them aware of this find. Mabe the museum curators can apply some pressure at a higher level stateside to have this Borchart placed in a museum.

Chris
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #16
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts

Unfortunately, we still do not know the serial number of the Borchardt. The number on the top is the patent number. The serial number is on the bottom of the grip. I can see the numbers "317" on the side of the rear toggle link, so I suspect the serial number is 1317 or 2317. I have not previously recorded either of those numbers, so it would be nice add a new number to the list. I certainly hope the gun is not destroyed.

The â??unknownâ? revolver is almost certainly a Montenegrin gun in the style of the Model 1870 Gasser revolver made by the firm of Leopold Gasser K.u.K Hof-und Armee-Waffenfabrik of Vienna. King Nicholas of Montenegro (1910-1918) decreed that all male subjects (note: ALL male, not just military!) would be armed with this style revolver. A bazillion of these huge guns were made, many by Gasser but also from a plethora of Belgian gun makers mostly unknown today. They were made in solid and hinged frame designs. Most hinged frame guns were top-break hinged at the bottom. This piece is unusual in that it is top-hinged and has a rather bizarre external cam to eject the spent cartridges. The barrel is almost certainly a later replacement as it is not engraved and has an over large, and probably ineffective, front sight. I would guess that this masterpiece is of Belgian origin.