LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 09-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
jblomenberg16
User

Default Newbie...looking for some advice

Hello all! The fine folks on Survivor's SKS boards sent me your way. If this board is 1/2 as good and helpful as that one, I think I'll be in luck.

I have a unique opportunity to acquire a P08, and have been told it was a WWII bringback. I've been looking around the web for while now to get some info about the gun I'm considering. Here's what I see so far:

-"byf" manufacturers code
-1942 date
-all matching numbers (except the mag, see additional info)
-inspection marks seem to match mfg and date
-gun is in fair shape
-bore is dark and appears to have some corrosion present (might clean up ok with some TLC)
-minor surface rust on the receiver, action, etc
-wood grip is intact, but worn
-Holster is leather, but appears to be missing a strap
-magazine has plastic base
-"fxo" stamped on it, with an "Eagle" inspection mark with the number 37 under it, no serial numbers that I can find

I understand that an exact appraisal / estimate of value is impossible just on this info and through a web forum, but does anyone have a ball-park figure of what a fair price range would be?

The seller is a family friend that I trust, so price info is more to make sure that neither of us gets "screwed."

I'm a proud grandson of two WWII U.S. Army Veterans, and also of German ancestry. My dad and I have begun a fun hobby of collecting guns together. Our collection is just starting, but we're already realizing that most authentic WWII guns are very tough to come by, and subsequently most are very expensive. Finding them will only get tougher and more expensive. So, we better get moving!

The purchase of this, or another P08, will be as a gift for my father, so sentimental value of the gun will mean as much as actual collector value.

Any help would be appreciated! Hopefully in the near future we'll be the proud owners of a fine piece of WWII history.
jblomenberg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

hello and welcome Justin

As an FYI, for a luger, matching numbers includes many interior parts. That said, give us the serial number with suffix and we can help further (you can xx out last two if you desire), plus if grips are marked or numbered on the inside.

I am sure you know or figured out that byf is the code for Mauser.

Is it reblued?

Condition sounds rough, so value could be $600 or it could be $1500; that is why photos are so important when someone asks for a valuation.

Be advised when I was your age (I am assuming you are younger than me; age 46), folks were always saying, boy, these prices are sure high, sure were cheaper when I was young
So, point is, prices don't seem to go down, just as you guys said.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
jblomenberg16
User

Thumbs up

Thanks for the warm welcome, and cheers, salud, prost, etc.!

I haven't disassembled the gun yet (since I don't own it yet), but I'll ask the owner. He did let me borrow it for the weekend to take a look at it. It looks like the take down procedure isn't too complicated, and I are an engineer...

It doesn't appear to have had any refurbishment done to it over the years, or even during war time for that matter.

I know what you are saying about collecting. I'm 28...and in the breif time I've been collecting, prices are going up and up and up, and guns are getting a lot harder to come by. Wish I'd bought that M1 Caribine a few years back for $200!

I've attempted to post some pics...hope they came through!

Unread 09-23-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
Ron Smith
User

Hi Justin,

Looks like a good honest piece. Refered to as a "Black Widow" by some collectors due to the fact that some byf 41s and 42s had black hard rubber grips.

My guess at value considering the rough bore would be around $1200 - $1300. The holster isn't original to the Luger and not worth much in that condition.

Just my personal estimate.
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 12:01 AM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

the light pitting and the loss of bluing suggests to me that someone took steel wool (probably a 3 or 4) and worked on the light rust. This can be done, but it resulted in loss of bluing in several places.

My value would be $900-$1200, closer to the middle.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 09-24-2007, 11:44 PM   #6
jblomenberg16
User

Sounds like Luger P.08's are pretty much worth buying these days at any price. Thanks to all for the advice. Looks like I'm not the only newbie looking for an appraisal, either...

Anyhow, if (probably when) I do get this gun, should I do anything to it? For instance, I'll probably work on cleaning up the barrel bore so that it will be half way accurate for those days we take it out to shoot it. As for the pitting and rust...leave as is, try to remove with some light steel wool?

I'd hate to take away from the as-is historical value of the gun, but would also like to ensure the rust worms don't get the better of it. Would be nice to keep in the family for several generations to come...

Thanks again to those that replied for the help. If any of you ever need SKS advice, or are looking for a fun milsurp gun to plink with, check out http://www.sksboards.com for some good info. Lots of helpful folks on that board, just like this one!
Unread 09-25-2007, 03:38 AM   #7
Steinar
User

Hello Justin,
first of all I wish you good luck with the potential purchase and welcome to this forum!
The engineering and manufacturing behind the Lugers are quite impressive.. Will be a joy just to pick apart :-)
It's quite easy to do so, just keep in mind that use of force is never needed.

Cleaning the barrel for improved accuracy.. well, cleaning it sounds like a good idea, too keep it from corroding. But I would not expect this to improve accuracy. One of my Lugers have a pitted and almost smooth barrel, can't say it's less accurate than one with a minty bore.

Pitting and rust.. I would leave it as it is OR bring it to someone who restores Lugers/antique firearms as a living. You can get far with patience and regular gun oil. Perhaps brush it gently with copper brush on problem areas as an addition to this.
You could place it in Kroil over night before you start oiling it up, that will help to remove old grease and other goodies.

As to the value.. about 3000NOK (=528USD) here in Norway. Your 'location' does not say where you live.
Unread 09-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
jblomenberg16
User

Thanks for those tips as well.

I talked to the owner today, and we're going to negotiate a price. Can't wait to own a piece of history! Once I own it, I'll enjoy spending some time and TLC on it getting it cleaned up and in condition to present to my dad as a gift!
Unread 09-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally posted by jblomenberg16
... present to my dad as a gift!
outstanding keep us informed of how things go
Unread 12-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
jblomenberg16
User

Sorry you haven't heard from me in a while...was busy with work and a few other things.

Well I did it...made the purchase this weekend. Ended up settling on $1200. The guy I bought it off of said he'd talk to a few collectors and they thought it was more the $1600 range, so $1200 was as low as I can talk him down to.

Either way, I'm excited to have this, and look forward to giving it to dad at Christmas!!

I'm going to take it down and clean it really well this afternoon while watching the football games.

Look fowards to sharing what else I find. The box that he gave it to me in had some other items in it, mainly just some gun and reel cloth and some other loose ammunition, so was going to go through it and see if there is anything else in there.
Unread 12-16-2007, 09:35 PM   #11
Zamo
User

In the end, a firearm (or anything) is worth what you are comfortable spending and are satisfied with. $1200 isn't too out of line, though I think he was either shining you on, or the "collectors" he was talking to were out to help him buffer his wallet. Regardless, hang on to it (or have Dad hang on to it) and it will very soon be worth that $1600 if recent history is any example.
There is always "Asking" and "Selling" prices, and the two are seldom the same...
I see a lot of firearms collectors frequently "asking" about twice what a like weapon is currently selling for...speculating, holding on to a "dear" piece, or waiting for that sucker who "must have it now!"

Did the "Collectors" he was refering to work at Simpsons?

Congratulations. Now that you've bought Dad's Luger, when are you buying your own? May I suggest a WW1 piece to augment your collection. How about a nice Artillery? That'll show Dad!!!
Zamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #12
jblomenberg16
User

Yeah, $1200 was my high limit, but I had a hard time bringing him down. We had a couple offers and counter offers, but ended up there.

The guy I bought it from was a friend of our family, and member of our church. All in all a guy I can trust (and still do), and I'm confident he wasn't trying to rip me off, nor did he.

I'm not sure about his sources for the $1600. I know there are several collectors in our area, so I'm sure he talked to them on it, and we may have talked to some of the same ones. And, I'm sure the price was a little inflated too to ensure he got what he wanted for it.

Not sure when I'll get one of my own...but I know I'll be looking! I figured I'd let the savings acct get a little more full again before making another purchase of this magnitude though.

So, for now, I'll just have to enjoy it with him. I thought in the mean time I might try to pick up a less expensive 9mm handgun (I have a CZ-52 in 7.62x25) so we can share ammo. Maybe a P38?

Looking forward to learning more about the P08 on the boards, and will recommend them to my dad once I present it to him.

Cheers!
Unread 12-17-2007, 11:39 AM   #13
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

JB, Now that you have one luger in the family, the luger bug has bitten. Before you purchase more, you may want to purchase some books to learn more about them, since as in most collectiing, knowledge is POWER. I can tell you're not a Purdue graduate, or you'd know how to spell "Inginer". Happy Holidays, TH
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #14
jblomenberg16
User

LOL on the "Inginer" joke! I'm actually a grad from the other engineering school in Indiana located on the Wabash River, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. I graduated in 2001 with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering.

I do work with several guys from Purdue, though, and my mom is a Purdue grad and big time fan.

I do have a confession, though, I just got accepted to business school at I.U. Should make for some interesting discussions during Big 10 basketball season for years to come!!
Unread 01-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #15
jblomenberg16
User

Gave dad the Luger the day after Christmas. We went out to shoot his "new" Nagant revolver that Santa brought him, and while we were shooting I gave him the Luger.

I think you all know the feeling he had when he unwrapped it from the gun cloth. He couldn't believe it! He'd always wanted one, and thought he'd never be able to find one.

It shoots great, and looks really nice along with the K98k Mauser my grandpa brought back from WWII.
Unread 01-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #16
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Treasure the moment... unfortunately Dad's have a finite existence... someday you will own that Luger again yourself and be that much richer for the experience than any increase in collector value.

Welcome to the Lugerforum...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #17
jblomenberg16
User

Thanks for the welcome!

That will be one of those moments I'll never forget.

Dad had an awesome Christmas this year...Luger from me, and Grandpa gave him the Mauser a few days later. He's one of those dad's that is very humble, modest, and is always giving, but never getting. It was great for him to have the "big" Christmas this year. (He also got his first grand-daughter from my wife and I)

We made an agreement that many, many years down the road, when dad no longer wants them, or passes on, that the Luger and Mauser are mine, and there will be great memories that go along with both.
Unread 01-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #18
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,522 Times in 940 Posts

Welcome to the forum,it's the best. Really great you and your father can enjoy collecting together.Enjoy it they just arn't around long enough. Make sure you write down all the history on the firearms. Even if you just purchased it start some type of a log. People may remember it now but 50 years from now? Bill
Unread 01-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #19
jblomenberg16
User

Great advice. The soldier the brought bag the Luger is no longer with us, so we won't ever know the story behind it.

We are trying to find out from grandpa just where he was at during the war and where he got the mauser.