LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-25-2001, 05:17 PM   #1
Sid Gariss

Default List of rare Lugers

Hi everybody. I was wondering if you would mind sharing your opinion on what is your list of top 5 rare Lugers. I would like to get an idea as to what Lugers are more rare than others. Thanks for your input and for all the info that I have picked up from everyone.

Sid.

Unread 09-25-2001, 06:25 PM   #2
tom h

Default Re: List of rare Lugers

Sid, Just based on scarcity and dollar value and not getting involved with condition, most collectors list would include: #1 The M1905 Military test 45acp luger (only 2 know). #2 George Luger's personal 6rd Baby Luger (one also made for the King of Bulgaria -- see Kenyon's "Multi-National Pistol". #3 One of the Weimar era 32 or 380s (only 2 of each made). #4 Most experimental prototypes in the 10,000B serial number range. #5 Just about any M1904 Navy that's real.

Unread 09-25-2001, 06:54 PM   #3
bill m
User

Hi Sid,

I guess I have a little different opinion on rare Lugers. I would break them up into different types -- for instance, commercial, WWI, Weimar, and WW2 and ect., and then break them down as to what was rare in each type. The one of a kind Lugers are not obtainable and anyone can look in the books and read which ones there are only 2 known of. For instance in commercial Lugers a 1902 counter (50 Known) would be nice, in WWI stuff, a 1908 commercial Army with the triple X proofs would be nice (around 14 known), in the Weimar stuff, a 1921 dated 5 digit police of new manufacture ( around 13 known), and in the WW2 stuff, a 1939 Banner Army ( 4 known), or a K-date Navy (around 25 known). In each group there are very rare variations of Lugers, and depending on what one collects, his impression of what is "rare" can be different.

Unread 09-25-2001, 07:46 PM   #4
Sid Gariss

Thanks Tom and Bill. I appreciate the response. I figured that everyone would have a different opinion as to what was considered rare. That was the main reason for the question. I would like to see what others think and see what kind of consensus would come up. Anybody else have a list that they would like to share? Thanks in advance for the input.

Sid.

Unread 09-25-2001, 08:10 PM   #5
Big Norm
RIP

Great post. I often wondered about it myself. But my question is the 'K' date navy. Would that be a 6 inch or a 4 inch barrel?

Unread 09-25-2001, 08:22 PM   #6
66mustang

Now, I don't mean to be a pain, but any rare Luger is one that I don't have!

Actually, I am of the mind that super RARE, ones like Ralph's baby that was George Luger's himself, I will never own and probably not ever touch... Yes, I warned the wife I wanted to go, and she said, go ahead,

Anyway, I truly beleive that those rare Lugers that I have a chance to own are far more wonderful, then the ones that are so expensive and so rare.

Anything that was produced in less than 500 or more, is hard to get, unless you pooooor some heavy cash only the fire.

Ed

Unread 09-25-2001, 08:27 PM   #7
bill m
User

They are 4 inch models with "o" property markings. The second variation model with both Scriptic and Gothic S's on all parts. A very hard variation to find.

Unread 09-25-2001, 10:47 PM   #8
mlm

I didn't know the 1921 5-digit police lugers were that rare. I saw the photo of one in a Jan Still book and estimated around 1000 manufactured.

I actually had the chance to buy one from the 1995 Russian imports that was a few property numbers off the one in Still's book. Other collectors seemed uninterested in it when I asked if anyone wanted to rescue it from being sent to its fate. I couldn't afford it as I had purchased two G dates and a 1914 Erfurt from the batch. It had a mismatched takedown lever or other small part and was dip blued. Because no one seemed interested in it despite it being in strong condition (no pitting), it ended up being one of the engraved and gold-iron cross lugers sold by that outfit in Mechanicsville Virginia back around 1997-98. Wish I had bought it before it was "processed" (the term used by the company for buffing and refinishing these).

Oh well.

Unread 09-25-2001, 11:09 PM   #9
Tracy

The 5 diget Wiemer Army unit marked is rarer yet per Still I did rescue one from Local Gun shop which was a Russian Dipped import. Of coursae this was not a collectable Gun per our purist but at $400 I don't think I went wrong.

Tracy

Unread 09-26-2001, 02:04 PM   #10
Sid Gariss

Thanks for the response everyone. I appreciate the time you took to answer this. I have learned a lot from all of you since Thor showed me this forum. Since I do not have a computer at home, the only time I can participate is here at work. Usually at lunch time or after work. Thanks again for the input and I will try join in when I can.

Sid.

Unread 09-26-2001, 07:59 PM   #11
JJV

Default Re: List of rare Lugers (My opinion)

I gotta put my 5 cents worth in on this one:

1. .45 US test

2. any 02 presentation carbine

3. any Luger marked GL

4. a real 04 Navy

5. 06 Navy with papers from Irish Defense eept., (ex IRA gun) cus I got one.

JJV

Unread 09-27-2001, 01:14 AM   #12
mlm

A guy in West Virginia offered me an Irish P04 with papers backin 1996 but I passed as it was out of my budget range. He also claimed to have a 1938 copper/black finish luger that was for Hitler's guard. He said 50 were manufactured but I have not seen mention of these elsewhere.

Unread 09-27-2001, 07:42 AM   #13
Marvin
User

Sid,

Yea, Lugers can be very infecting as a hobby, and the history & mechanics just top off most all other firearms.

Since I met Ted on this Forum a couple of years ago, we have been very good friends since. You will also find that all the others on this Forum will be great friends also, even if you never meet. This group does have it's dissagreements once in a while, but thats life and we all seem to be able to agree to disagree at times.

Just keep buying them Lugers!

Marvin

Unread 09-27-2001, 01:40 PM   #14
Jesse
User

My list,In no order

1..45 US Test

2. GL Baby

3. Death Head (One Day!!!I will have one)

4. K date W Goth S

5. FullAuto test Luger

6. any Navy

7. any prototype

8. 06 Russian

9. Spandau (I found a Spandau toggle but I don't know if it was a fake)

10. any carbine

Thats my wish list

Unread 09-27-2001, 04:24 PM   #15
JJV

MLM, As far as I know, There were no 04 Navy's brought in from Irelend. Of the 27 Lugers brought in, there were 06's,08's and 1914 navy's and one cut down artillery.

Unread 09-27-2001, 05:59 PM   #16
SteveM
User

Mike Morris has a Spandau on GunAmerica.....

SteveM

Unread 09-28-2001, 06:31 PM   #17
alain capel

Jesse,

I could not help to be intrigued and mouth wateringly curious about the Spandau toggle you found.

Did you buy it or in doubt leave it there?

Did it have any serial numbers or proofs?

Even as a fake, it genunely (if I may say so...) documents the issue of Spandau Lugers.

Rgds,

Alain