LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 11-18-2004, 01:57 PM   #1
sachsr1
New User

Post How much? I know nothing about lugers

This is the info given, I'm intrested in knowing the value/info on this gun.

1940 dated nazi luger with nazi proof marks. I do not know how to grade it so I won't. I have no real experience with Lugers but it seems to function great. It cycles rounds and when cocked it holds with mag in and staps back when clip is out. It is a very pretty weapon for 64 years old. Has a tiny bit of rust inside the barrel but very small amount. I would like to keep this pistol but I am into modern military and police styled weapons. Numbers on right side 656 - 655 Numbers on left side (5186 numbers have XXXX stamped over them) 56 - 62 -41 "56 on safety" Numbers on top 1940 Date 38 - 42 -73 Numbers on back 73 Numbers on bottom of clip 5501 - M - + Numbers under barrel 786 - 883 Never been refinished to my knowlege and blueing is still very good. Under safety lever it says GESICHERT
sachsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2004, 02:59 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
sachsr1,

A bit confusing, but you are looking at the right details.

Are the "right side" numbers associated with--placed under--the "proof marks"? Do you mean that the 5186 on the left receiver has been Xed out?

To make things a little more clear, go to the technical information part of the Forum, the link is on the opening page at http://www.lugerforum.com/ and try to identify what numbers from your Luger are on what parts of the pistol--it makes a difference.

Is there a number, perhaps with a script letter, on the front of the frame?

Are your grips wood or plastic, and if they are plastic, could you descrive them?

Photos are always very useful in identifying a Luger, in addition we all like looking at them! If you can post pictures of yours it would help.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2004, 03:15 PM   #3
sachsr1
New User

It's not my gun, and that's all the info I have. I'm trying to see what it's worth to see if it's the Luger that will start my Luger collection.
Unread 11-18-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts
You'll hate to hear this, but most of us started like you, and got bad guns. i.e. reblued, pitted, too expensive, etc. Buy books, read on this forum, buy a bit more expensive from a reputable dealer.

Read this forum, BUY MANY LUGER BOOKs!!

It simply comes down that lugers are expensive, and you'll get ripped off, if you aren't careful...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2004, 06:05 PM   #5
Ron Smith
User

Ryan, It sounds like a Russian rework. If so, it's a shooter grade, not a collector. Worth about $400, if in good condition. If you are longing for a collectable Luger? Save your money and follow Ed's advice.
Don't jump in until you have a good idea of what to look for. Ask questions, read books. If you have access to a digital camera? Take it with you and take photos and post them here. Everybody here will be happy to advise and guide you.
Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2004, 07:28 PM   #6
sachsr1
New User

I was thinking it was a shooters grade, but I don't mind shooters grade. This one is one gunbroker, but it sounds a bit high. I'm going to the big show in PHX on Dec. 4th I'll look there.
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...?Item=25577768
Unread 11-18-2004, 08:40 PM   #7
Ron Smith
User

Ryan, Lousey photos are usually a giveaway. They don't want you to see the warts. That's too much for something you can't see.

Ron

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2004, 08:59 PM   #8
Steve Richards
User

I have said it before and not everyone agrees but I will repeat myself. If you want a Luger to shoot, get one in the $400-$600 range. Just look for one that is mechanically sound. Then you will have a Luger that you can shoot without worrying about loosing value. If you then find that you are hooked, buy books and use this as an aid to help follow along while reading the books.

Many of the parts in a Luger are not like any found in other guns so having one to actually hold and take apart while reading the books helps. Then if you decide to go further down this road to ruin, you can decide what type of Luger do you want to collect. Imperial, comercial, Weimar, WWII, Swiss, artillery (LP08), or any of the other many catagories!

Save the worrying about matching numbers and such until you know if you want to spend more for some good quality pieces. Then you still have one that you can play with at the range and not worry about puting a few hundred round through it! After all, that is the real fun. Holding and looking at a rare mint gun is nice but shooting is much more enjoyable!

A good set of books to start with are the E-books by Mr. Henrotin, who made the wonderfull graphic on the home page of this forum. He is listed in the Links and Resources section on the left side of the screen. Just be sure to download them onto the computer that you plan to view them on. They are not transferable. They are an inexpensive start to learn more about Lugers.

Good luck!

Steve
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2004, 09:38 AM   #9
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
EXCELLENT advice Steve...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote