LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-07-2010, 03:19 AM   #1
Depner
User

Default New member from Hungary

Hi All!
I bought my Luger this week! My dream for decades came true. It's an S/42 1936 all matching except mag Luger. The situation on weapons here is very complicated. If you are a "civil", in practice it is impossible to buy "real" weapon. Only blank weapons, air weapons are allowed. Only LEOs can have pistols, but only 2 piece for self-defense. And the procedure isn't easy that way too. Hunters of course have hunting rifles, and sport shooters can have weapons, but they can not carry thoose. As far as I'm a police detective, I have got the chance to buy a weapon, and also carry it. My self-defence weapon is a Glock 19, and my second is the Luger since Monday. (Before I owned a Hungarian 48M - TT).
Now I'm spending my time on reading through the forum, incredible knowledge is written here. It's just amazing! Surely I will have many questions, but first I'm triing to read through everything.
Here's some pics of my Luger:

(Hungarian proof marks, ehhh )

Greetings from Hungary,
Tom
Depner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
Balder
User

Tom ,

Congrats with your first Luger and welcome to the forum! It looks to be in excellent condition, does it have a replacement barrel? There seems to be some kind of marking under the barrel where the serial number usually sits. I'll leave it to the experts here to comment on the details.

Balder
Balder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
Depner
User

Thank you!

I'm unsure about the replacement, but maybe it is replaced. There is no number, and the alignment marks are not matching. Based on the damned hungarian law, the calibre marking must be engraved on the barell. There is a laser engraved "9mm Luger" text there. Maybe the alignment marking are not matching, because the barell was removed during the rebluing process. I don't know.
This week, I tried it out at rhe shooting range. 200 shoot without any problem (7,5 gramm Fiocchi FMJ, and 7,5 gramm hungarian MFS ammo). And it is accurate like charm.
Unread 02-07-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
Depner
User

Unread 02-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Balder
User

Tom,

Good to hear that it is both accurate and reliable. I take all of my Lugers to the range from time to time and I really enjoy firing them.

The barrel does appear to be a replacement since it's lacking the bore diameter marking and serial number. Some parts seem to have been refinished, but the extractor and toggle appear original. Then again, I am no expert. Once our American friends wake up there will most likely be several educated comments on your gun. This is one great forum, with lots of friendly and knowledgable people.

Balder

Last edited by Balder; 02-07-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Balder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Hello Tom,

Welcome to the Forum. It is always a pleasure to see members from the Eastern European countries join up. Hungary has an interesting history and local knowlegde is always welcomed (including the necessary language skills ).

Your 1936 Mauser looks like it has been refinished at some point in time, at least partially. It is possible that some work was done it. The small proof mark at the left side of the receiver is a Hungarian repeat/repair proof, the top an bottom part of the stamp (an R with shield) are missing. I expect that the gun was actually repaired and reproofed in Hungary itself.

If only it could talk
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Tom, Welcome! You are a Lucky Man! Regardless of your pistols finnish condition it SHOOTS! That's what they are for after all. Also..you are able to have it and carry it! Very special.
There must be a story..how did you get it?

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
newluger
User

Welcome to the Forum. What's a LEO?

Newluger
newluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
Depner
User

Hello Vlim!
You are more or less right. The R with the shield is the proof mark of the hungarian MKH (www.mkh.hu)
Here is the hungarian operative law about proofing weapons and ammo. You can find the proof marks at 15 §.
The R /w shield is only the proof mark of the periodic inspection, which must be done every 10 years. Practically, they aren't doing anything with the weapon, but putting their damn stamp on it, and give you a bill of 30 EURO. They aren't "inspecting it" at the practice. (I have got a .22 LR rifle, which have had a broken firing pin, but it passed the periodic inspection). They are not doing any repairs, it's a miracle itself, that they can identify a gun.

Please if anybody can give me any info about my gun based on the SN number (month of production, etc.) let me know. Now I'm really curious about the barell. I know nothing about the past of my LUGER.

Best regards,
Tom

Last edited by Depner; 02-07-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
Depner
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newluger View Post
Welcome to the Forum. What's a LEO?

Newluger
Law Enforcement Officer
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
Depner
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
There must be a story..how did you get it?

Jerry Burney
Thanks! The story is short. I've always wanted a Luger. It's the king of the pistols in my opinion. But here it's very hard to find. Ever harder to find one with affordable price. I continously searched over the net. Finally I found one on the website of a weapon shop in Budapest. Travelled there, took it in my hand, and hardly wanted to release. Then I gave advance moeny for it. Started the procedure, which is needed here to buy a gun. It normally takes 1 month. Since the police is doing the authorisation, my colleagues working the weapon-department did it in a hurry, because I asked them half million times a day "When will it be ready?" So they just finished my permission in 8 days. Then went to Budapest, paid the complete price of the weapon (190.000 HUF, approx 950 USD). //Again, this was a cheap price for a Luger here. Usually they cost about 1300-1500 or more USD// So, that is the story in a nutshell.

Ps.: Sorry for my bad English grammar, and maybe some misstypes

Last edited by Depner; 02-07-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
Aaron
Banned

200 trouble free shots with a Luger? I don't think even the Wehrmacht ever achieved that!
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
Depner
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
200 trouble free shots with a Luger? I don't think even the Wehrmacht ever achieved that!
I was a little bit surprised too. But I read that a Luger in good condition, cleaned, oiled, with modern ammo is reliable. This is prooven for me.
Unread 02-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Quote:
Have done some 7,000 shots so far with a refurbed 1937 S/42, without issues.

My personal favorite story is that of Prof. Dr. Gminder's P08, which was salvaged from the Neckar river in 1975, after 30 years under water. It was overhauled and fitted with a barrel liner as a test to see how long it would hold out. The gun has been going since 1975 without problems. I got a chance to shoot it in 2009. Grouped nicely, even with my eye sight.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
Depner
User

Now that I come to think of it, it will be very uncommon, but my Luger is the Luger which was not, but will be a Police Luger.

Tomorrow, I will carry it on duty.

Unread 02-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
c3006
User

Wow thats two new members in one week that have been able to use a Luger in a offical capacity. Congats on your pistol and welcome to the forum. c
Unread 02-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #17
Ice
User

Welcome to the forum. Your 1936 Mauser Luger is a nice one and even better that it shoots reliably.

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #18
CROLUGER
User

Welcome Depner!
In Croatia, it is difficult to find Luger below 5000 kuna. The increase is a big collector of weapons, and Luger is a weapon that simply "must have". Here the law is lenient.
Hunters can have handgun for compassionate shot.
I am also police detectiv, hunter and guns collector. My officially weapon is Glock 19 with Croatian shield from 1998. Also my first officaly weapon was Crvena zastava M57, also bilt on 7,62 x 25 mm TT round.
Many Hungarians in the summer come to Istria, and if you're one of them send masage.
Gretings from Croatia, Novigrad - Citta di Cittanova.
http://www.novigrad-cittanova.hr/
Luger DWM 1915, Luger BYF 1942, Walther P-38 AC43 & CYQ 1944, Mauser Hsc, Steyr 1909, Frommer Stop 1916, SA XD HS 45, Beretta M34, M70, M72, M950B, 92FS, Browning 1910/22, CZ M-48, CZ PAP M59/66, Winchester 9422M, GLOCK 19.
CROLUGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #19
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Depner,
Congratulations on your new Luger pistol!

I am sure that you are very safety conscious, but be sure to check out postings on this site about the issues that come with carrying a Luger. Being an older design, it does not have all of the safety features you expect on a modern gun.

In particular, it's also possible to fire a disassembled Luger if the bolt is closed on a cartridge and the sear is bumped.

And thank you for posting in English. Your English language skills are much finer than my Hungarian language skills ever will be!

I'm very glad to meet you on this forum...

Marc
mrerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #20
suum cuique
User

Location: MD / Currently about 9000 klicks east of the Potomac

Hello Depner,
welcome to the forum and congratulation for your Luger!
(Especialy if it is very complicated to own a gun)