LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 02-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #21
Galaxy88
User

Sorry one or two failures.
Galaxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #22
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

that wasnt changed from a 30- to a 9mm was it I wonder if the its the correct recoil spring , it probably is if it was made in the late 30s but.... I do enjoy random uneducated guesses
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #23
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Check the extractor face, and be sure that one arm is not broken. If the chamber is too deep, the 9mm round can not headspece on the case mouth, as it is designed to do, and the extractor can not move over the case rim into the extractor groove of the cartridge when the breach closes. If the loaded round with a light primer strike is not extracted when you cycle the toggle, then the extractor never got into the groove. The loaded cartridge is too far into the chamber, and the extractor and the firing pin can not reach it to allow normal function. What ammo are you trying to shoot?
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #24
Galaxy88
User

Not sure about the caliber change. I ordered new springs to try. The extractor looks good. If the chamber was too deep wouldn't all rounds be affected? The last time at the range, I got five to six rounds to function properly(3 or 4 different times) then a complete failure. Click and no extraction. Winchester White Box. Thanks for your help!
Unread 02-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #25
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy88 View Post
Not sure about the caliber change. I ordered new springs to try. The extractor looks good. If the chamber was too deep wouldn't all rounds be affected? The last time at the range, I got five to six rounds to function properly(3 or 4 different times) then a complete failure. Click and no extraction. Winchester White Box. Thanks for your help!

If the chamber is really marginal, it make work hit and miss due to the slight variation in the ammo case mouth dimensions. If the extractor is not getting over the case rim, the firing pin can not reach the primer well enough to ignite it, and will show as no/light primer strike. If you have access to PMC ammo, try some 115/124gr FMJ in your luger. The brass is slightly thicker than the WWB by .0005 inch or so, and gives a better case mouth to catch on the chamber groove.

Also, take the Luger apart(field strip) and get a good light, then look into the chamber at the chamber groove. If there is any crud in the groove, use a very sharp pointed tool (ice pick,etc) to clean the groove. Many times the bronze barrel brushes don't clean the chambers that well.

Also, now that it is apart, remove the firing pin and spring, and reassemble the Luger. Place 1-2 WWB rounds in the magazine and put them in the gun. Work the toggle slowly by hand and when the breachblock feeds the round into the chamber and fully locks, the extractor should be raised on top of the breechblock. From a fully closed/locked toggle train, now slowly open the toggle and see if the extractor has ahold of the loaded round via the extractor groove, and is removing it from the chamber. As I stated above, be SURE that the firing pin and spring are out of the gun. This little test will give you some information as to the chamber and extractor. Is the extractor spring good and strong?

Didn't mean to be so long winded, but these Lugers can be very frustrating to say the least.
Unread 02-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #26
Galaxy88
User

Thanks, I will give this a try.
Unread 03-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #27
Galaxy88
User

Went to the range today-the PMC ammo worked perfect. I did change the firing pin spring. No other ammo would work(Remington,Winchester(nato) and white box). Its very frustrating! I'm going to try the ejector spring and then the main spring. Any other thoughts? Thanks again for all the info. The guys at the range loved it!!
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #28
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

P08 lugers are very ammo sensitive, like many .22 cal handguns. Feel lucky that you have found an inexpensive brand of ammo that runs 100% in your Luger. To me, you have proven that the chamber headspacing is very marginal, and it will jam/fail to fire with the standard WWB, Remington etc. ammo. You can try spring changes, but if the firing pin won't reach the primer well enough to ignite it, that is not a spring problem. I have a 1921 DWM that does the same thing due to a "pistolsmith" that screwed up the headspace on a new barrel.

So I just purchased a case of PMC 115gr ammo for a couple of my 9mm Lugers, and then I can get on with my life knowing those Lugers will function good when they go to the range.

Others may disagree, I am just giving you my opinions, and what works for me and my Lugers(two of them).
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #29
Galaxy88
User

I still might send it to the 'Lugerdoc" if its a headspace issue. But, I took it to a local gunsmith and it looked good. Only problem, he never looked at or worked on Lugers! He works for the Border Patrol and works on H&K's.
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #30
Galaxy88
User

Tried the PMC ammo again- its works great. If it is a headspace issue, how can I fix it? My local gunsmith offered me $1500.00 again. Comes with two mags(correct period), Holster that was cut to fit(crazy),Nazi belt(w/buckle) and the registration card copy from 8-18-45. I LOVE this pistol-everyone who see's it wants it! I know I should just put it away no matter what it is or does. But the wife is giving me a hard time about it. Any opinions would be great!
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #31
Galaxy88
User

I really don't want to put alot of rounds through it..just in case? What is a fair price??
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #32
TheRomanhistorian
User

I don't know if I'd sell something as distinctive as that, no matter what the price, and I think there's a lot of history there (plus I'm sentimental about my 'first' anything, heh). Hopefully one of the other more knowledgeable members can suggest a fair price.

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #33
Galaxy88
User

Haven't been to the range lately...But thanks to all for the info!!!!!
Unread 03-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #34
Galaxy88
User

Changed a few springs.. was there a difference in size. The originals were compressed alot compared to the new. Hope this solves the issues with all ammo!
Unread 04-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #35
Galaxy88
User

Default S/42

The original owner gave me a copy ,was dropped registered 8/19/45 Vet bring back .Tell me???
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #36
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy88 View Post
I LOVE this pistol-everyone who see's it wants it! I know I should just put it away no matter what it is or does. But the wife is giving me a hard time about it. Any opinions would be great!
Keep the Luger; get rid of the wife.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #37
Galaxy88
User

Too expensive to get rid of either one... Gotta keep both!!
Unread 05-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #38
Greg B.
User

I have an S/42 in good condition that is sensitive about everything. The most recent variable that I am trying to control for is the shape of the ogive on handloaded full metal jacketed bullets. I regard it as a project gun and I am making progress. Doubt that I will ever sell it. If I were you I would send it to Tom Heller and let him look at it. Yes it may cost some money but go one step at a time and it will come together. You already have one brand of bullet that works. Unless you can afford a new Krigoff (sp?) those of us who own the old ones have a weapon that comes with a very significant history.

Greg B.
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #39
Galaxy88
User

Thanks..Love the gun ... these were made well before the plastics. It feels great in my hand and I don't care if I shoot it..history!!