LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 11-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Emrot
User

Default Luger doesn't ****

Hello!

I recently acquired my first Luger and took it to the range today. I had a problem firing it:

I would fire 1 round. The casing ejected and the next round loaded, then the trigger wouldn't do anything -- it seemed like it was uncocked. I'd pull it slightly back to **** and try again, and the trigger still wouldn't work. Only fully pulling it back, ejecting the currently chambered round, and chambering a new round worked. This happened 100% of the time -- working through a magazine, I was able to fire every other round.

Any idea what would cause this? I seem to have no mechanical problems testing it dry firing, it's only when loaded and live that I have the problem.

Thanks!

~Michael
Emrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
bandit09
User

What kind of ammo were you using? Factory loads? Bullet weight?

Also, if this is a newly acquired gun, it may need a thorough cleaning. Some oils thicken with age. Maybe the previous owner did not clean it often or thoroughly.
bandit09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

The small plunger at the end of your sear bar is not resetting. Test it by seeing if it slides in and out freely against its spring power. If not, clean the sear bar, the recess it sits in as well as the plunger assembly. Another trick is to buff down the outside edge of the plunger to allow the trigger bar to ride over it freely. Don't do any buffing or grinding until you completely clean this area.

Last edited by alanint; 12-05-2011 at 04:03 PM.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
CavScoutEurope
User

Use snap caps when you dry fire! You could break your firing pin!
CavScoutEurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Emrot
User

bandit09: The ammo is some old Remington "9 MM Luger Auto. Pistol" 124 grain/metal case ammo that came with it. The gun itself hasn't been used in at least 30 years. I field stripped it and cleaned out some thick oil, but based on alanint's post I didn't go far enough.

alanint: Thanks for the advice, you were right it was very gummed up. I've cleaned it and it now appears to work smoothly!

CavScoutEurope: Thanks! That was careless of me, I'll pick up some snap caps asap.
The following member says Thank You to Emrot for your post:
Unread 12-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Emrot
User

Follow up! The in-depth cleaning did the trick. I ran a magazine through it with no issues whatsoever.

This makes me even more interested in getting a shooting Luger. The grip fit well into my hands, it's the most comfortable pistol I've handled, and it was a thrill firing it.

Thanks a lot for all of your help! My next step is to get some good pictures of this and get it priced and into the hands of someone who'll appreciate it more than myself!