LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 03-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
TheRomanhistorian
User

Default Fiocchi 124 grain FMJ Truncated Cone

Hi all,

I've been testing ammunition recently, trying to find the 'sweet stuff' for my newest Luger. I've used some Federal and Magtech (the Federal seems to be the best for this pistol but the Magtech wasn't awful once I got used to it and my aim improved) but I remember reading about the truncated cone and weight of the original 9mm Luger round.

I did some searches and found a little bit here but how is Fiocchi 9mm ammunition in general? I keep hearing it is 'hot' but the 9mm 124 grain FMJ Truncated Cone seems to be 1150 fps (or 1200 if you buy the 'Canned Heat' version) which isn't too far from my Magtech 115 grain and the WWB 115 grain is 1190 fps. Has anyone used it in their Lugers regularly and would you recommend it for regular use in a WWI Luger?

Best,

Michael

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
Sieger
User

Mike:

In my byf 41, the Fiocchi 124gr. TC (Combat) ammo is excellent!!

The pistol's function is perfect.

This ammo shoots small groups!

Try some, as I think you will like it!

Sieger

PS: Avoid "hot" ammo in a vintage Luger.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
TheRomanhistorian
User

Hi Sieger,

Thanks! I think it was one of your posts some time ago which alerted me to the Fiocchi truncated cone ammunition. I meant to try it but I wanted to test a few 115 grain rounds and just never got around to it. I think I'll pick up 50-100 rounds of this and see how my 1918 Luger likes it.

I take it, then, that you don't think this 124 grain Fiocchi 9mm FMJ Truncated Cone is too hot then? I'm looking at a batch from an online retailer (50 round box at 1150 fps). Whilst I'm keen to experiment with new ammo, I'm not keen on accidentally putting in actual hot/+P type ammo in!

Best,

Michael

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Sieger
User

Mike:

It's always a good idea to buy just a few boxes and try them through your particular Luger, first.

I've found this ammo loaded below the advertised figures.

I liked it so much, I bought a full "brick" of 1,000 rounds.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
TheRomanhistorian
User

I'll keep you all updated, I've ordered 200 rounds of this 9mm Luger 124 grain FMJ Truncated Cone from Fiocchi with an advertised velocity of 975 fps and 310 ft/lbs of muzzle force. I'll probably take it to the range on my birthday and test out a few rounds. I'll let you all know how well it functions in my 1918 P-08.