LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 02-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
TheRomanhistorian
User

Default Magtech 9mm 115gr FMJ v. WWB?

Hi all,

I was curious if anyone had used this ammunition. I'd read of some people's experiences with it but there were not many details here on the forum (though perhaps my 'search-fu' was weak).

I normally use Winchester white box 115gr FMJ and it is my go-to factory ammunition for the pistol.

Manufacturer: Winchester
UPC: 020892201989

9mm Luger Winchester USA Handgun Cartridge, 115-Grain Full Metal Jacket Bullet, 50 Rounds Per Box

362 ft/lbs. energy muzzle
1071 fps at 50 yards
293 ft/lbs. at 50 yards

However, I had also heard some reasonable things about the Magtech 9mm 115gr FMJ and I saw someone selling it online for about $225 for 1000 rounds:

9mm Luger Magtech Sport Shooting Full Metal Jacket 115 Grain, 1000 rounds

Muzzle velocity: 1135 fps.
Velocity at 50 yards: 1027 fps.
Muzzle energy: 330 ft/lbs.
Energy at 50 yards: 270 ft/lbs
UPC Barcode 754908162208

Has anyone else used this and would you recommend it over WWB (something I can't always find locally when I decide to go to the range on a spur of the moment).

Best,

Michael

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to TheRomanhistorian for your post:
Unread 02-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
RAY1946
User

Very interesting. I have been going to chrono my WWB ammo for sometime now, but have been busy with a lot of other projects. I noticed you have a velocity for 50 yds with the WWB, what was the muzzle velocity with this ammo? Thanks for the nice post.........
RAY1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I shoot Magtech 9mm, 115 gr. and .45 ACP, 230 gr. FMJ, and have done so for the past 10 years or so.

It shoots well and very clean. Very consistent.

Reason is the foregoing and the fact that it is competitively priced and seemed to be available even through the shortages faced a few years ago.

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to guns3545 for your post:
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
TheRomanhistorian
User

Hi Ray, I didn't do any of the measurements myself, I nabbed them from online ammunition sales pages and I seem to have forgotten the WWB muzzle velocity (1190 fps).

John, thanks for that. I like the Winchester but it's not easy to get locally for some reason and Wal-Mart often sells out. I'll order a few boxes of the Magtech and see how my Luger likes it.

Best,

Michael

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
TheRomanhistorian
User

Just a quick update as I test ammunition with my 1918 DWM/Erfurt mismatch. The Magtech was fairly clean and I had no failures to feed, chamber, fire, or eject with the 150 rounds a friend and I fired. I did find that my patterns weren't as nice (with some all over the place) as compared to my WWB experience or my Federal 115 gr. experience last month. Part of it might be that the load is different, 1135 fps versus the 1190 of WWB but it is also probably also me getting back into shooting semi-regularly.

However, I did notice that the Triple K magazines I have seemed a little tight with the OAL of the Magtech rounds, nothing gets stuck but there seemed to be a bit of 'tightness' relative to my original magazine (no problems there). I have another 350 rounds to go and maybe most of it was just me (as I suspect) since my last 20 shots were pretty good and I had nice groupings near the point of aim. If, as I suspect, it is just me then I'll be buying more of this.

Unread 03-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanks for the info. It is always nice to have a choice of reasonably priced ammo available to consider. Congrats on finding another ammo that your Luger likes.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote