LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 07-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
TennBill2
RIP

Default Shot my Borchardt replica today!

After so much time having gone into building this, I was soooo anxious to fire it. I tried yesterday and had a misfire, having used an old 30 Mauser round. Today, I used a newly primed starline shell, loaded with 3.4 grains of the old Mauser powder and the original 30 Mauser bullet....86gr.(?). I used the shoulder stock because I was hoping to observe the action, though it was too fast. I would guess 3.0 to 3.3 would be adequate to cycle the action. Tests to be done later will tell. Of course, I have no clue as to the original Mauser cartridge's powder type. Anyway, it was a thrill to shoot this thing! I'm going to try several loads and try to set up my movie cam to hopefully capture the action.
Attached Images

TennBill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 12 members says Thank You to TennBill2 for your post:
Unread 07-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Bill, For those who followed your thread on this ...it's fantastic news! Did the action cycle and feed another round?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Congratulations!!!

I'm really looking forward to close up photos of the finished pistol and stock!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Wow! More photos, more photos, more photos, more photos....!
Unread 07-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
TennBill2
RIP

Default Barney Fife!

Like Barney, I only issued myself ONE round! Even though I have an almost 4 acre lot, I live in a subdivision where they frown on discharging guns. Fortuitous as it was, we were having a thunderstorm and I opined a single 'crack' would go unnoticed! I need to order some bullets, probably from Buffalo Arms, to make up some cartridges. I've only a handful of the old Mauser rounds left and can't really measure the charge without knowing what was loaded in the originals. In retrospect, I did feel the recoil in my shoulder, though I noticed no muzzle climb. I guess, Ron, you're the only guy...here.. who has shot the original. I read somewhere, the originals had to be matched to the ammo at the factory so as to properly tweak the mainspring. I guess that's why the later (30's) ammo for both the Mauser and Borchardt may have led to comments the Borchordt had a nasty recoil. I'm using a double layer riveted, but the upper piece ends at the main pivot, at the rear of the springbox...if that's clear. Still, that gives a healthy cocking action!
Unread 07-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Bill, I guess, Ron, you're the only guy...here.. who has shot the original. HAHA! Bill you must be sadly misinformed..Heck even my Wife Ellie has shot an original Borchardt..Her and 20 guys I know cause I handed the pistol to them personally. David Eash was kind enough to loan us a beautyful Borchardt, David Borjes loaded the ammunition we shot. This all took place at a private estate...our Host was Mr. George Anderson. A good time was had by all. Not many people can lay claim to fireing a genuine original Borchardt it's true...

The recoil was minimal..we fired with the stock attached. Dave had 2 power settings on his loads..one mild and one not so much mild. The first kicked the cartridge fairly close to the shooter. The more powerful loading kicked them some 10-12 feet to the rear.

I suspect the recoil is milder than a stocked Luger due to the spring type and weight of the Borchardt. I have fired untold rounds from stocked pistols and you will not see any appreciable muzzle rise ...even when fireing fast.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 07-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
TennBill2
RIP

Default a good time........

In my relatively short time in the forum, Ron was the only one I was aware of by name. I'm sure the Borchardt 'party' was, indeed, a good time! As the price of an original seems to become astronomical, I'm guessing fewer and fewer will risk firing one. Since I've never seen one, or wrapped my hands around one.....let alone, shot one, I have only what you guys 'tell' me regarding how they handle. Nevertheless, the build has been an adventure. Kind of like being Herr Borchardt. I know a whole bunch of ways that DON'T work! Didn't Edison say that about the lightbulb? I have several stocked pistols also, don't shoot this stuff much. Look at 'em, clean them, handle them, wrap them up, lock 'em up............
The following member says Thank You to TennBill2 for your post: